STOP error/BSoD on bootup

telecomguy9

telecomguy9

I have a new Western Digital 80 GB drive (WD800JB). I've used WD's disk utility to create 3 partitions (C: - 8 gigs, D: - 30 gigs, E: - the rest) and format them as NTFS. I've installed Windows 2000 Pro on it (more than once - more on that momentarily) and I'm getting the following BSoD occasionally:STOP: c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum} The image user32.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum... (There's more but I'll stop there)I first did all of this stuff to the new drive (partitioning it, formatting it, etc.) by connecting it to an existing W2K machine, going into disk manager and creating partitions/formatting from there. When I got the error message I decided to run check disk. It came up with nothing wrong. I re-did the whole things using W2K's partitioning options during setup. I deleted the partitions and recreated them. That didn't work, either. I than used WD's disk prep utility to delete the partitions and recreate them as Fat32 partitions. That didn't work, either. I than used WD's disk checking utility to check the drive for problems. I did a quick test, and extensive test (I think that's what it's called) and than wrote zeroes to the drive. The tests came back saying all was fine with the drive. Not a single error. I've since installed W2K again, and as before all of the latest hotfixes and sp4, and am still having that occasional BSoD come up. It happens at the W2K splash screen with the little blue blocks going across the screen from the to right. Occasionally, when the blocks fill up the bar it happens. It always happens at that spot, too. I went to MS's KB and found this:MS KB article 101096It says to replace the file user32.dll with a newer version or reinstall Windows. Well, I've reinstalled Windows about four times now and that hasn't fixed the problem... I don't know where I'd get a newer version of that file or how to replace it if I did.I guess I can't figure out what exactly is causing the problem. The MS KB says if the problem persists after reinstalling Windows than it's a hardware or network issue. But the WD utility says the drive is fine. This PC worked flawlessly before I installed the drive so I'm a bit lost... any help would be great. Thanks.

I may be out in left field, but I've seen checksum errors cause by a dead MB battery. Should be an easy thing to at least try.

James M. Fisher

So the only variable in this scenario is the new drive, correct? Does your BIOS support a large 80GB drive? I'm thinking a BIOS flash may fix this.Perhaps the Windows CD itself may be at fault. Do you have access to another one to try?It would be coincidental if another piece of hardware is at fault, but stranger things have happened!

A marginal ribbon cable could be at fault or it's seating. It could also be a timing error, do you have DMA for the drive on? I don't have a W2k machine up right now but I believe it supports DMA.

I don't know where I'd get a newer version of that file or how to replace it if I did.
In the event the user32.dll on the cd is a bit shy :lol: you could copy the file from the machine you used to partition the drive initially. It's found in the Windows\system32 folder and is about 550KB. Rename the file you have in the corresponding folder to something like user32.old then copy the replacement to the folder. If it doesn't solve the problem you can revert back conveniently.