tweaking direcway satellite connection

badcat

Hi all, The place I work just had the Direcway two-way satellite installed for our internet connection, it was and is our ONLY option, because the building is out in the sticks, two weeks from everywhere. The setup includes a Win2K box running Kerio WinRoute. My problem is that I can't seem to tweak the Win 98 boxes to utilize the bandwitdh. I've tried all the usual options including DrTCP from DSL Reports and while I can improve it somewhat, the 98 machines are about 2 to 3 times slower than any of the 2K boxes. I first thought that maybe the WinRoute routing/firewall software might be the culprit, but a laptop running 2k on the network connects and benchmarks just fine with no tweaks or mods at all. The provider (Ground Control) told us we'd get 512 k, the 2K boxes are getting about twice that, and the 98 boxes about 300k or so. 300 k sounds fast, but web pages load real slow. I found this little utility called Cable Nut, which has a built in setup for satellite, and the best results I've had have been with that. Does anyone have any experience with this type of connection, I've tweaked cable and DSL connections before with great success, but I am having a problem with this. I believe the latency has a lot to do with it, as it is pretty bad. If anybody knows a link or has something to try, (besides putting Win2K on everthing) I'd appreciate it. Thanks. :blink:Chris

Badcat,We also have two way system on a Win 2000 server box shared over a network. I installed the LCCU_4.0.3.5.exe off the mydirecway site. Honestly I've only tried it on 2000 and XP boxes but it did seem to make a big difference in the latency side. It may not work with 98 but it has a pretty good readme.BTW, look out for fair use restriction and its 4 hour limit. Patch a couple of systems and you're slowed to a crawl until the 4 hour period renews. I think that it is 160MB cumulative which sounds like a lot but isn't. You can check your file by file transactions under your account.BruceMCSE

If you went to DSLReports, you probably found this site, but it's the best I know for DirecWay/DirecPC:http://www.copperhead.ccOne of our forum mods has DirecWay, and there have been some threads right here in the Networking forum that might interest you.Here's one, although it's not a performance-specific thread:http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/forums/inde...ct=ST&f=2&t=203I no longer have access to the DirecWay stuff, so I can't test or play around with it. My guess is that Bruce gave you the very best advice that can be had, because you've already tried everything I did with the Hughes stuff.I found it to be highly variable. It would be very fast one day and slow the next. Sometimes the deltas between the two days were huge, like 1Mbps average throughput. It didn't make much sense to me.For latency, one thing I would suggest is to use it with a dial-up connection. The signal has to travel 44,000 miles up to the satellite and back and the upstream speed is very slow. If you can use it with a dial-up for the upstream connection, I believe you may find that the latency is actually reduced ... slower connection rate, but much shorter distance to travel.Hope that helps.-- Scot

As far as the LCCU_4.0.3.5.exe (Lan Client Configuration Utility) from DirecWay.com that Bruce mentioned, it does work on win 98 machines. I have 2 of them on my network that I have applied it to. This is the first step that I would recommend. (And I always do a backup or image or write down all my settings prior to doing anything like this - I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the LCCU, but would hate to suggest it and have your network quit working or something! ;) )All of my clients, including the 98 boxes, run around the same speed (Between 800Kbps and 2.2Mbps - averaging, like Scot said, around 1Mbps), so I can't see it as an OS problem. My clients include win98, 98SE, 2k, and XPHome. The "host" or ICS box is win2k.Another problematic wonder is "Proxy" use. Some people LOVE it (It speeds up MY browsing a LOT), and some people cannot seem to get it to work... I don't know anything about Kerio WinRoute, so I can't shed any light on whether that may be a problem. You indicate that the 2k laptop worked with it.There is a thread at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,656...t=sat~mode=flat that discusses a slow client/fast host situation. It is based on a wireless network but has a lot of good information in it that is applicable to all.Good luck! Keep us informed as to your progress - it's always good to see how someone solves a problem.d|:^)Dick

Guys, thanks for the help. I knew somebody here would be able to suggest something. I haven't had it in place long enough to get a real history yet, but it does seem to vary quite a bit speed wise, one day to the next. I'm going to try that LCCU utility and see if that helps. The latency problem is something we'll have to live with, I suppose. The satellite is feeding a small network, (10 pcs) and we use it primarily for e-mail and research. I believe WinRoute is not slowing me down to a great degree, one 2K laptop on the network connects really well. The sad part is the local cable company won't connect any business, regardless of its size. I myself am spoiled rotten by a 3Mb cable connection, which only makes Direcway seem slower. I'll report back after I try some stuff next week. Thanks again.Chris

Hey Guys, I got things running much quicker. I downloaded the LCCU_4.0.3.5.exe (Lan Client Configuration Utility) from my provider (why they don't ship this in the box, I don't know). The 98 boxes went from 300-400 kps to 1700 kps, I'll take it!!! My provider doesn't really give you any help at all, they dump the box on your doorstep and run, basically. But thanks to you guys, were cookin' now. The utility did the job as far as browsing is concerned as well, all of the 98 boxes I used it on are much snappier as far as page loads go. Thanks again, you're suggestions turned this into an easy job!Chris

It's nice when things all work out, isn't it? B) Of course, with the diverse knowledge base here at SFNL, you are bound to get the right answer! Heck - maybe even 4 or 5 right answers! B) d|:^)Dick

It's nice when things all work out, isn't it?  :unsure:  Of course, with the diverse knowledge base here at SFNL, you are bound to get the right answer!  Heck - maybe even 4 or 5 right answers!  :rolleyes: d|:^)Dick
You got that right, Dick. I was sure someone here would be able to help. That LCCU utlity was just what I was looking for, I am what passes for an IT guy where I work, one of many hats I have to wear during the course of a day, and I really didn't have a lot of time to square this away. My boss and I are agreed that we'll dump Direcway as soon as we can, but it might be years before DSL gets there. Cable probably will never be an option because Charter won't connect a business, no matter how small (which I think is dopey, we'd pay more for a business cable connnection if we could get it). Until then, we're stuck with it. Thanks again to you, Scot, and Bruce for the help.