2nd Harddrive

Noonmid27

How do i detect my second harddrive with the cfdisk command in linux. Also is it possible to see both my harddrive in my computer in windows XP, well actually i figured out how to see it with cfdisk, but how do i view my second Hardrive from sda when in my computer with XP

Edited by Noonmid27

How do i detect my second harddrive with the cfdisk command in linux. Also is it possible to see both my harddrive in my computer in windows XP, well actually i figured out how to see it with cfdisk, but how do i view my second Hardrive from sda when in my computer with XP
Uhmmm... you said 'linux' so I'm guessing you have some partitions formatted linux -- and windows is mostly ignoring them? Not getting a drive letter? That's somewhat normal. The disks should still show in Device Manager, and Control Panel /Admin / disk services. Cfdisk requires you to give it a specific disk name. It'll be something like #cfdisk /dev/sdb1#cfdisk /dev/hda1#cfdisk /dev/sda2etc. Run a #fdisk -l command first, to see what linux can detect -- and it will also tell you the names of the devices. Cfdisk won't normally let you do anything to a disk that has partitions mounted -- so unmount them first if you intend to change something on that disk.

Uhmmm... you said 'linux' so I'm guessing you have some partitions formatted linux -- and windows is mostly ignoring them? Not getting a drive letter? That's somewhat normal. The disks should still show in Device Manager, and Control Panel /Admin / disk services. Cfdisk requires you to give it a specific disk name. It'll be something like #cfdisk /dev/sdb1#cfdisk /dev/hda1#cfdisk /dev/sda2etc. Run a #fdisk -l command first, to see what linux can detect -- and it will also tell you the names of the devices. Cfdisk won't normally let you do anything to a disk that has partitions mounted -- so unmount them first if you intend to change something on that disk.
Hi guysWell i've been trying to install sabayon 3.2 on my second harddrive, which i was able to do but, but when i hit f8 during the POST screen so i can see the boot menu and select the second SATA drive i get a message saying that the operating system cannot be launched. when i lauch my first SATA drive sabayon boots up but i cannot select any of my other distros. how can i configure this so that i have sabayon 3.2 on the second SATA drive with with windows and my other linux distros on the first SATA with each booting up with different bootloaders. is this possible?

how can i configure this so that i have sabayon 3.2 on the second SATA drive with with windows and my other linux distros on the first SATA with each booting up with different bootloaders. is this possible?
Install the bootloaders on the partition blocks (not the MBR), and use a third-party boot manager.

Hi guysWell i've been trying to install sabayon 3.2 on my second harddrive, which i was able to do but, but when i hit f8 during the POST screen so i can see the boot menu and select the second SATA drive i get a message saying that the operating system cannot be launched. when i lauch my first SATA drive sabayon boots up but i cannot select any of my other distros. how can i configure this so that i have sabayon 3.2 on the second SATA drive with with windows and my other linux distros on the first SATA with each booting up with different bootloaders. is this possible?
Ah, the questions have changes, so you must have got past the previous problems. Can't recall what Sabayon uses to boot with [grub? lilo?] -- if it's grub, then you can easily add other installs to /boot/grub/menu.lst -- just become root, open that file with an editor, and follow the format of the first entry to add your new distros. Reboot, and you'll have the new choice(s). If it is using lilo, then you edit /etc/lilo.conf -- and then you must run lilo again to install the new configuration.

Ah, the questions have changes, so you must have got past the previous problems. Can't recall what Sabayon uses to boot with [grub? lilo?] -- if it's grub, then you can easily add other installs to /boot/grub/menu.lst -- just become root, open that file with an editor, and follow the format of the first entry to add your new distros. Reboot, and you'll have the new choice(s). If it is using lilo, then you edit /etc/lilo.conf -- and then you must run lilo again to install the new configuration.
Well thx for the reply guys i have sabayon and the booting figured out right now. but i have another problem i have one maxtor and a WD hardrive both are 250GB but when i try a stripping RAID setup and start my computer at POST i just get a bunch of 9's do both the HD's have to be from the same manufacturer as well or just same in size i was able to set up a JABOD setup but in my mobo manual it says that i dont get any advantage from this like with a RAID 0 setup. Can somebody tell me what the stripping setup did not work. also does RAID 1+0 require 4 HD's or can i do that with 2 in the manual it says that i need 4 but i just wont some expert opinions.

Well, you are going to have to wipe all the data from the drives to setup a RAID0 drive. That is why the the stripe did not work.Now I beleive you can run different sized drives for RAID0, but some of the space on the larger drive will be wasterd, since the "partitions" need to be the same size on each drive. basically, though, I beleive useing slightly different drive sizes may work fine.Adam