Android Isn't Free

Corrine

How Google's acquisition of Motorola Mobility will make it more like Apple.

In other words—and I never thought I'd say this—Steve Ballmer was right. Android isn't free. In fact, it's not even cheap. As Daring Fireball's John Gruber points out, the $12.5 billion that Google is spending for Motorola amounts to almost two years' worth of the search company's profits. No company—not even Google—can throw around that kind of cash without envisioning a direct return on its investment.
Google's Motorola Mobility acquisition will make it more like Apple. - By Farhad Manjoo - Slate Magazine

I don't like the article because it doesn't mention how much Google stands to make from the patents they've acquired. It sets up the patents but then ignores them. Will Google start to go after other companies that "infringe" on their patents? Will the patents deter other companies from suing Google/Android? How much will that save them in legal fees?

Guest LilBambi

I think the mere presence of these patents will tend to hopefully make the other players want to play nice. More of a deterrent than anything else. Less likely to be unreasonable....