iAdam's Hunt for Red Oct... er, IT Certification

ross549

Well, looks like it is my turn... I am attending the Cisco Network Academy as part of my training. Looks like I will be getting CCNA parts 1 and two over the next couple weeks.

I am getting a headache already- just from thinking about the concept of subnetting. >.<

Adam

At 0633 something important happened. I saw this in a youtube video-

DpU1h3N.png

And it all made sense.

For over a decade, I've had various people try to explain subnetting to me. No one ever broke it down into binary, and it did not make any sense whatsoever.

This image did the trick, along with the tidbit about network/host boundary.

Finally figured it out. :)

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

Of course, it makes sense. It's just binary. Any one-fingered monkey can count in binary... nothing then 1, nothing then 1, nothing then 1. ;)

Of course, it makes sense. It's just binary. Any one-fingered monkey can count in binary... nothing then 1, nothing then 1, nothing then 1. ;)

Yeah but yer one fingered monkey can not make zeros ! :whistling:

V.T. Eric Layton

Sure he can. One finger up is 1. One finger down is zero. 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0...

Did you know that the Simpsons all counted in octal? That's right. They only have four fingers, toes on their hands and feet. :)

The+Simpsons.jpg

V.T. Eric Layton

For some reason, I thought you knew all this sub-netting, CIDR, routing baloney before this. Well, you're having fun learning. That's what matters. I would imagine the Navy will do a much better job of training you for those exams than the crash course I took did.

V.T. Eric Layton

The course I took was 120 hours, but it only covered material for the CCENT. You were expected to self-study to pass the 2nd part of the CCNA. Only 2 out of 8 in my class passed the CCENT. No one ever took the 2nd part to get the full CCNA. I found out later (inside info from a friend at the college) that no one from the initial class (the one just before mine) passed even the first part, and only 1 passed from the class after mine.

I don't mean to discourage you, but this was the ONLY examination that I've taken in my entire life that I totally doubted I could pass on the first try. I was shocked when I did pass it. It was just so much information to learn in such a short time. I was overwhelmed.

I can give you some good advice, though... KNOW YOUR COMMAND LINE STUFF! There are quite a few simulation questions on the exam. If you don't know your Cisco IOS commands and methods for troubleshooting routers and switches from the command line, you will FAIL! Also, learn to sub-net FAST!

You can do it! I'm an old dunderhead and I managed it. You'll have no troubles at all. :)

We are getting the CCNA 1 and 2 courses via the Networking Academy site. I am not sure how far that will get me.

Command line? I'll SNORT command line if I have to! :P

Adam

Ok, gripe time.

I've been taking tests for many years in the Navy. Maybe I am spoiled, maybe not.

These tests in the course are horrible. It's turned into a "What do I think the test author was thinking?" kind of game. This is really annoying. Using ambiguous language is NOT the way you assess a student's knowledge!

Also, a fair amount if the information is out of date. When we talk about peer to peer technology, it must be understood that the tech changes all the time. I'm having to think back to the limewire/napster days to answer questions. That was ten years ago!

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

We are getting the CCNA 1 and 2 courses via the Networking Academy site. I am not sure how far that will get me.

Command line? I'll SNORT command line if I have to! :P

Adam

I was enrolled in the Network Acad simultaneously to my classes. I wasn't impressed. :(

V.T. Eric Layton

About those test questions...

We (my classmates and I) speculated that the Cisco test questions were actually designed and implemented by sadistic fiends drooling over their word processor apps in darkened caves under the Cisco Academy. They got an extra ration of moldy vinegar-soaked potatoes at dinner as a reward for formulating questions using really nasty ambiguous language.

Speaking of testing... there are quite a few free sample test sites online... just search w/ Yahoo, Bing, whatever for "free CCNA sample tests" or some such variables. The Net Acad also has some sample testing available, I believe. Cisco used to offer a practice test simulator that was VERY close to the actual test. Check that out. It helped me quite a bit to be familiar with the test format before actually taking the test.

Oh, and here's a fun site to practice your sub-netting skills: http://www.subnettingquestions.com/

We (my classmates and I) speculated that the Cisco test questions were actually designed and implemented by sadistic fiends drooling over their word processor apps in darkened caves under the Cisco Academy. They got an extra ration of moldy vinegar-soaked potatoes at dinner as a reward for formulating questions using really nasty ambiguous language.

No kidding. I got the instructor nervous this morning bcause I asked him specifically if we would be providing feedback directly to Cisco regarding the course. (Written feedback to the instructor requires a response or action by the instructor, per Naval Instructional guidelines) They were glad I was not going to say something bad about the instructors. :D

Adam

• Like 1

Well, it is a curious thing until you break it down into binary. It makes no sense within the base-10 octets.

I am one of those learners that until I know every part of something, I may as well not know ANY part of it.

Adam