5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hkspike

hkspike

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 02:29 AM

Don't even think it's a tough one: Just rebuilt my PC into a new box, which has all gone very smoothly except... I can't get the extra USB ports on the front to work. The old box had 2 plugs, one 5 pin (VCC, D1-, D1+, NC, GND) and one 4 pin (VCC, D0-, D0+, GND); the new one has 2 pairs of plugs split into a combined 3 pin (VCC, D-, D+) and GND. The motherboard (2themax) has no clues etched on it. I think I've tried most logical combination to match the previous setup but nada. All other USB ports and hub on a PCI card are all ops normal. Now that can't be difficult, can it! Any clues? Thanks, Andy
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat.

#2 OFFLINE   tntoak

tntoak

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 04:19 AM

Usually, you can go to the motherboard manufacturer's web site and get a copy of the manual for the mobo.  It should list where the cables for the front USB ports connect.

#3 OFFLINE   muckshifter

muckshifter

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 06:43 AM

Look for pin1Pin 1 +5V RedPin 2 -Data WhitePin 3 +Data GreenPin 4 GND Black

#4 OFFLINE   Tahar

Tahar

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 08:04 AM

. This post won't be of any help, except to let you know you aren't alone.. I have the same trouble (A7N8X) same pins and they are in the right place per the manual.. I am also having trouble with one on the back. I've tried switching positions, no go. This is the same USB hardware I had on the PC before this one, so I know it isn't the hardware's installation.. I think it's a USB sharing problem, but I don't have a clue as how to trace that.  :rolleyes: ............................................................................420W P4 Ready PSUAsus A7N8X Deluxe nforce2 Athlon(XP)/Duron SktA DDR ATX Motherboard w/Audio, LAN, RAID/Serial ATA RetailAMD Athlon™ XP 2700+ 2.16GHz 333FSB - 256kB ECC synchronous write-backCorsair TWINX1024-3200LLPT 1GB DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader RetailSeagate Barracuda ATA V ST3120023A 120GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard DriveATI All-In-Wonder 9700 PRO AGP 8X 128MB DDR Video Card w/TV-Out RetailPromise Ultra133 TX2 ATA/133 Controller Card Gyration USB Keyboard and MouseCD Organizer USB

#5 OFFLINE   Tahar

Tahar

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 08:35 AM

. I just found this. You may find some help there. Forum Board and Operating System info is at middle-left.   :rolleyes: http://www.usbman.com

#6 OFFLINE   hkspike

hkspike

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 08:45 AM

Just found the solution; so I guess now I'll also find the mobo manual, now I don't need it!The top and bottom five pins work in opposite directions, so for my mobo the answer is:blank, GND, D+, D-, VCCVCC, D-, D+, GND, blankSeems pretty obvious in retrospect but with 4 plugs and 10 pins there were rather a lot of options.While on the subject of USB ports, a while back I installed a PCI card with 4 extra ports.  Initially XP would have nothing to do with it, so I moved it up two slots and dropped a SCSI card down two and Hey Presto all was sweetness and light.  Go figure!Good luck, Andy
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users