32 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:22 PM

View Postraymac46, on 10 July 2017 - 06:07 PM, said:

I've deleted Leap 42.2 from VirtualBox. It just doesn't seem to be an appropriate distro to run with limited storage capacity like you have in a VM.
I'm going to go with deleting snapshots and increasing the size of my / partition. Like I said before, I'm really annoyed by this--wonder if I would have had the opportunity to change the fs to something other than btrfs during the install if I had realized what was happening. Will definitely look at that next time (which could be sooner rather than later if anything goes wrong with partition resizing).
Registered Linux User 344759

#27 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,195 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:24 PM

Take a deep breath and just reinstall OpenSuse on EXT4. You'll be happier in the long run. :)

#28 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,032 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:42 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 10 July 2017 - 07:24 PM, said:

Take a deep breath and just reinstall OpenSuse on EXT4. You'll be happier in the long run. :)

Agreed
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#29 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:07 AM

This article from 2016 my help with your decision.

Using Btrfs for Easy Backup and Rollback

After finishing up the rest of the install and rebooting, regular snapshots can be setup with snapper, a btrfs snapshot utility made by SUSE which does regular snapshot and cleanup.
This creates a new subvolume “.snapshots” at the root of the specified subvolume. Snapper has a utility to help you roll back; however, it is inherently flawed and can mess up your file system layout due to how it rolls back.
To avoid this issue, delete the new subvolume snapper just made. Instead create a new subvolume under the “snapshots” subvolume for whichever subvolumes are being snapshotted by snapper.

Since snapshots are not backups it’s also important a good backup is in place in addition to having snapshots. The backup solution I found is Btrbk, a very configurable backup solution written in perl. Btrbk was an easy install for me as it was in the Arch User Repository, Btrbk (AUR). It came with great documentation, as well as systemd timers and services. Btrbk takes snapshots and then backs up the selected snapshot to a variety of backup locations. The snapshots can then be chosen to be kept or deleted based on a set amount of time.

I’ve been using this system for several months with no problems. I have rolled back several times and it has been as easy as booting into another Linux distro on my computer, and moving around snapshots. This could probably be automated in such a way that at boot a subvolume is chosen to be the volume booted into. This is what Snapper tried to achieve but the way it does it is very messy as the resulting subvolume ends up being in the wrong place. This problem is not simple to fix as snapshots are read-only so somewhere along the line another snapshot has to be taken that is read-write for the system to be usable. Once a solution arrives for this Btrfs will have a feature similar to ZFS boot environments. I’m looking forward to this.
Thus far I have not had any file corruption that I am aware of and I am happy with the resulting system. I have yet to use ZFS on Linux as my system root, but I’m looking forward to comparing the two when I finally get my problems ironed out.
Overall the future with btrfs looks interesting and I will be keeping an eye on it.

Another fine example of the KISS principle :whistling:

To be fair btrfs once all the bugs have been sorted should be of value to business users a sit looks like it uses less resources and should be very quick in use. However it looks pretty darn complicated for the average user at this stage.
With ssd's and fairly modern hardware backing up a root partition of 20 GB takes 10 to 20 minutes and is a pretty easy task to set up so does the average user really need the bells and whistles of this newcomer ?

:breakfast:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#30 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:57 AM

Why SUSE took this default for Leap is beyond me. Doing it for Tumbleweed would make more sense--Leap is supposed to be the stable one btrfs doesn't seem to fit that category yet. I hope that they allow the option of using a different file system during the install, I didn't really look at the root partition in the Advanced Setup since I'm used to concentrating on being sure my /home will just be mounted intact. Forcing people into this with no other option allowed might really turn users off. I took a quick look at the documentation for snapper--yuck. If something went that badly wrong, I'd just as soon do a net reinstall--takes maybe 45 minutes and you'd have a clean system at the end.

Edited by ebrke, 11 July 2017 - 12:03 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,195 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:05 PM

Heh! The default file systems chosen by Linux distributions or their Benevolent Dictators for Life are not always the best choices. Slackware's default for a long time was a file system created by a wife murderer. Although, it was a very COOL FS... ReiserFS.

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Hans_Reiser

:th_0140:

#32 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:00 PM

I actually used Reiser for quite a while. I held on to my /home for years without reformatting the partition until about 3 years ago. He may have been an unpleasant person, but his fs worked.

#33 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,032 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:26 PM

View Postebrke, on 11 July 2017 - 05:00 PM, said:

I actually used Reiser for quite a while. I held on to my /home for years without reformatting the partition until about 3 years ago. He may have been an unpleasant person, but his fs worked.

Yeah, it was a decent filesystem and I used it for years.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users