Security in libraries etc.

abarbarian

Our local library has pc's that seem to be locked down in some way as you can not perform some actions, you get a warning saying that you do not have permissions and to see your administrator.

Our local social security office has a similar set up,with workers pc's only able to access certain sites, but where the for public use pc's are similar to the library ones.

You can access the web on these pc's and access nearly all sites on the web.The library uses IE and the SS public pc's use FF.

Now both sets of pc's throw up a warning on start up, slightly different wording but the same message."you are using a outdated version of this browser please update to the latest version"

My question is,

Is this a security risk ?

Can a hacker obtain personal information from this outdated browser whilst it is being used ?

In a secure and properly run set up should you even be using a outdated browser ?

Have I got the wrong end of the stick and these outdated browsers are safe ?

I am not talking about a hacker that has physical access, more a on-line hacker.I am not looking for some obscure hack either. An am looking for information about the possibility of gaining information from the use of a outdated browser fairly easily.

You see I have been directed to use these pc's by government officials, and enter all sorts of personal information on various job sites and I would like to know if security is compromised by the outdated browsers.

If I am right in thinking that this is quite a serious flaw in the set up links to industry respected proof would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

:breakfast:

securitybreach

Yes and no.... More than likely these are locked down behind a good firewall and since those machines are not running as admin, you should be fine.

That said, government computers are being hacked all the time including the social security administration so they are targets and with outdated software, they have more of a chance of getting hacked.

they should offer wifi .................................. use your own updated rig.

Wi-fi at the library !!!! Oh look I have just seen a unicorn !!!!!!!!!!!

Use your own rig !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh look that rocking horse just did a ***** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:Laughing: :Laughing: :Laughing: :Laughing: :Laughing: :Laughing: :Laughing:

??

Whilst you may live in a modern country where folk keep up with the times I unfortunately do not.The folk who run the IT for our libraries would not even have the faintest idea of the terms above let alone how to set them up.

An the idea that you have a public building with internet that could be used as a wi-fi hot spot for free by the public who pay for the building and the internet already, well you might aswell be talking Klingon as the concept of organising matters to help the public enjoy their lives is just an alien concept to the folk who run things.

:pirate:

securitybreach

Well you did mention SS which in the US stands for Social Security office so I didn't think about you being in another country. Also, you mentioned that they have it secured which much more difficult than setting up a simple wireless router.

If you are in the UK, get yourself to a McDonald's with your own device (phone, tablet, or laptop).

http://www.mcdonalds.../Free-WiFi.html

safer than using outdated computers in public places.

Or look over the options here http://www.choose.net/media/guide/features/uk-wifi-ultimate-guide.html

if McDonald's is not your cuppa. :teehee:

Edited by zlim

Well you did mention SS which in the US stands for Social Security office so I didn't think about you being in another country. Also, you mentioned that they have it secured which much more difficult than setting up a simple wireless router.

There is that cross culture divide again.

I did mean the Social Services in the UK I shortened it to SS as over here that would be taken as SS as in the WW2. Sarcasm it were.

If you are in the UK, get yourself to a McDonald's with your own device (phone, tablet, or laptop).

http://www.mcdonalds.../Free-WiFi.html

safer than using outdated computers in public places.

Or look over the options here http://www.choose.ne...mate-guide.html

if McDonald's is not your cuppa. :teehee:

Ah yes I know about other hot spots ta.

My Q was specifically about security at a public library here in the UK as I have been directed to use library computers by the SS.

I realised pc's there were behind a firewall but was unsure if they would have an easily exploitable flaw as they use outdated browsers.

Ta for the input folks.

:fish: