Ken Starks (Helios) - Please Read

abarbarian

V.T. Eric Layton

I've split this topic from the original thread that it was piggy-backed on because it requires its own topic thread.

Our friend and mentor, Bruno, was a big fan of Ken Starks. Ken, if you read this, my friend, know that all of us here at Scot's Newsletter Forums, and many, many others in the GNU/Linux community are thinking of you and your family at this time.

~Eric

Sad news, indeed. The world can ill afford to loose the good ones early--there are way too many of the other kind flourishing like green bay trees. Posted best wishes to Ken on his Helios Blog.

No problem, it's the only source of information I have. Ken is following orders and resting/recuperating. Chemo/radiation is enough to wear one out completely.

V.T. Eric Layton

Other than a really cool music scene, Austin would be waaaay down toward the lower end of the list of places I'd want to move to. No offense to Austinites. I've never actually been there. :)

Hi folks.

A little update from Diane Franklin, Ken's sweetheart.

Ken was sent home from the hospital after treatment for throat and neck cancer.

The prescriptions that go along with the chemo and radiation were $1000.

I am nearly as reluctant to mention it as Ken would be, but he has lost several of his scripting contract jobs due to hospitalization and follow-up treatment and they don't have medical insurance. If it was for me I would not even mention it. But this is for one of the most selfless people I know, he would not ask but I can.

If you have it to spare, Diane has asked for a little help to get through this.

Her blog post is here, http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2012/03/is-this-thing-on.html.

She could also use any words of encouragement you have to offer, she has taken over maintaining the HeliOS blog while Ken is undergoing these treatments.

I don't know if you know or remember, but she had a massive stroke last year herself. This a lot for her to undertake.

Thanks for thinking of these fine folks. Please drop Ken and Diane your words of encouragement and best wishes at the HeliOS blog or helios att fixed by linux dott com.

Blessings

Bob

Edited by amenditman

Yes Eric, that captcha is very effective. I keeps out all the bots! :hysterical:

And thanks, your comment will mean a lot to Diane. When I last had a chance to see them she was amazed at how people from everywhere came together to make what Ken has chosen to do with his life possible.

Edited by amenditman

• 2 weeks later...
Quit your bitching. I envy you your opportunities and ambitions. :yes:
As always, I'd be glad to share the opportunity and help you thru the start up phase.

Besides, I could always use 1 classmate who's older than me. :hysterical:

V.T. Eric Layton

I really should do this. I'm just afraid of commitment. I don't know from one week to the next whether or not I can pay my electric bill or have gas to drive my truck. I don't want to start something I can't finish. I may actually find a job someday in the near future, then I won't have time for school. I may never find a job without the re-training, though. It's a catch22. :(

V.T. Eric Layton

I was just at the FAFSA and HCC websites. It seems a bit complicated, to say the least. I wonder if I could just go to HCC on Dale Mabry and talk to someone about all this legal mumbo-jumbo to get a grant.