SOLVED: Lubuntu 15.10 apt-get problem

burninbush

Hi all ... hope someone here can clue me how to use this Lubuntu 15.10 install. This is the latest release, installed to my disk, and the media check says the media is good.

Basic problem is my mobo has a peculiar onboard Realtek NIC; the system provides driver r8169, but it doesn't work. Realtek has a solution [source file]. This fix exists on the Debian repository as r8168-dkms.

But my ethernet doesn't work with the cable, however I found that a usb dongle that I have did allow me to connect; I updated Synaptic and tried to get the r8168 part ... but I am immediately instructed to insert the 15.10 wily werefolf disk. (appears that the hd install doesn't include compiler?) Which I do, but then Synaptic (or apt-get) won't recognize it is there! I can open the disk with the file manager, copy files, whatever. I just can't get apt-get to admit that it is inserted to the drive. In /dev, cdrom is linked to /dev/sr0 -- the only optical drive I have.

So I seemingly can't do any sort of upgrade till I find how to get past this mounting issue. Is there some way I can tell Lubuntu-synaptic to find the files somewhere other than on the install cd?

Help! Thanks.

securitybreach

Well first you need to remove the disc as one of the sources and then fetch the packages normally with apt-get or synaptic. Here is an older link to do this but the process should be the same:

https://askubuntu.co...es-when-install

After you remove cd-rom as a source, run sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Then install the packages you want.

securitybreach

You could also run this:

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Comment out (put a # in the front ) the line that starts with deb cdrom:... Then hit ctrl-x to close and y to save, Then run this to refresh your mirrors:

sudo apt-get update

Thanks guys, that worked, got the stuff I needed. The NIC still doesn't work, but that's par for the course for this new board. Seems like a real gotcha to me. It's curious, the same fix worked on Mint and another Debian distro and on my Slack installs.

This is a Gigabyte GA-970-DS3P -- bought it to replace a failing board so I could reuse my cpu and memory. But it has been a major PITA on my linux distros. Works perfectly on Win 7 Pro.

Perhaps this is helpful:

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/trouble-with-the-ga-970a-ds3p-motherboard/73185

But if I understand this thread correctly, you might have to make some choices though. Wifi AND USB 3.0; or ethernet and USB 2.0. I can't believe a BIOS update (UEFI update?) isn't available to address these issues.

EDIT: It appears the GRUB config edit allows all 3 to be used simultaneously. I think this is the hack/solution you're looking for!

Perhaps this is helpful:

https://forum.teksyn...therboard/73185

But if I understand this thread correctly, you might have to make some choices though. Wifi AND USB 3.0; or ethernet and USB 2.0. I can't believe a BIOS update (UEFI update?) isn't available to address these issues.

EDIT: It appears the GRUB config edit allows all 3 to be used simultaneously. I think this is the hack/solution you're looking for!

A-Mazing! That actually did something [adding kernel parm iommu=soft to menu.lst] -- I now have an ethernet connection for the first time after many hours of tinkering with this mobo. It isn't called an eth0 or eth1, it is named enp3s0 -- as reported by an ifconfig query. Www.speedtest.net says I'm getting my usual 90 Mbits download rate.

Haven't yet tested to see if that screwed any usb ports. Sorry Gigabyte, you've ruined your rep with me forever. I did choose this board because it was the only one newegg had with all the features I wanted [usb 3.0 and SATA 6gbps, plus it would accept my cpu and memory].

Still many questions here, re Lubuntu; the fix from Realtek worked on Slack and Mint without the extra kernel parm. I s'pose it's possible I have a busted board.

Thanks a bunch for the tip, Hedon James.

• Like 1

securitybreach
It isn't called an eth0 or eth1, it is named enp3s0 -- as reported by an ifconfig query.

That is perfectly normal. The naming scheme changed with systemd.starting with v197 back in the beginning of 2014:

The classic naming scheme for network interfaces applied by the kernel is to simply assign names beginning with "eth0", "eth1", ... to all interfaces as they are probed by the drivers. As the driver probing is generally not predictable for modern technology this means that as soon as multiple network interfaces are available the assignment of the names "eth0", "eth1" and so on is generally not fixed anymore and it might very well happen that "eth0" on one boot ends up being "eth1" on the next. This can have serious security implications, for example in firewall rules which are coded for certain naming schemes, and which are hence very sensitive to unpredictable changing names.

To fix this problem multiple solutions have been proposed and implemented. For a longer time udev shipped support for assigning permanent "ethX" names to certain interfaces based on their MAC addresses. This turned out to have a multitude of problems, among them: this required a writable root directory which is generally not available; the statelessness of the system is lost as booting an OS image on a system will result in changed configuration of the image; on many systems MAC addresses are not actually fixed, such as on a lot of embedded hardware and particularly on all kinds of virtualization solutions. The biggest of all however is that the userspace components trying to assign the interface name raced against the kernel assigning new names from the same "ethX" namespace, a race condition with all kinds of weird effects, among them that assignment of names sometimes failed. As a result support for this has been removed from systemd/udev a while back......

https://wiki.freedes...InterfaceNames/

Perhaps this is helpful:

A-Mazing! That actually did something [adding kernel parm iommu=soft to menu.lst] -- I now have an ethernet connection for the first time after many hours of tinkering with this mobo. It isn't called an eth0 or eth1, it is named enp3s0 -- as reported by an ifconfig query. Www.speedtest.net says I'm getting my usual 90 Mbits download rate.

Haven't yet tested to see if that screwed any usb ports. Sorry Gigabyte, you've ruined your rep with me forever. I did choose this board because it was the only one newegg had with all the features I wanted [usb 3.0 and SATA 6gbps, plus it would accept my cpu and memory].

Still many questions here, re Lubuntu; the fix from Realtek worked on Slack and Mint without the extra kernel parm. I s'pose it's possible I have a busted board.

Glad to have helped! I have received so much good advice & input from this board; it is rare that I can offer a solution that fits within my paygrade! Pay it forward when you can! :clap:

• Like 1

Perhaps this is helpful:

Isn't Realtek the wireless card, rather than the ethernet? Two different pieces of hardware, two different pieces of software. It's also possible (even likely!) that you have 2 different kernels and, therefore, possibly 2 different drivers for mobo components.

I don't want to fuss you too much, cuz it's your machine and your decision to make, but I wouldn't have installed a distro on my main machine that was just released days ago. I personally prefer LTS releases, but I usually wait a month or two for the inevitable bugs to get discovered and patched. Looks like you may have discovered one?! :whistling: No worries, though...if folks on this board can't help you out, there probably isn't a solution!

Back again ...

Bash-4.2# lspci |grep net

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 0c)

So that should settle what hardware, and that the NIC hardware is really from Realtek. For reason unknown, every linux distro I have tried on it wants to use a driver named r8169.ko, which doesn't work.

To be clear, I was already convinced that r8168 was the correct kernel driver, from experiments with Slackware and then with Mint -- where I found the r8168-dkms(.deb) fixup part. If you were to read the readme that Synaptic will show with that item, it explains my hardware issue. My issue at the head of the thread was how to get Lubuntu to stop asking for the cdrom (and then not being able to admit it was in the drive).

Once past that I was able to get to the Lubuntu repository to obtain the r8168-dkms piece, but with that installed it still didn't work. That final issue was fixed by the iommu=soft kernel cheat. The board does have that hardware feature, and I suppose this cheat is a way of giving the kernel code some ability to force the setup of that feature [guessing here].

This is a fairly well known problem; if you google 'r8169 linux driver problem' you'll get lots of hits about it. Weirdly, some recent distros load an r8169.ko driver and they work with it OK. For example, Puppy Quirky.

@ Hedon ... not to worry about my installing latest revs of linux distros; both my desktops have 4 partitions intended for linux, and they are always full of something or other. I've been fooling with linux for maybe 12 - 13 years by now, know how to avoid most traps. I basically always have a working slack install, and a Mint, and a PCLinuxOS. And then I play with new stuff like the Lubuntu.

I wrote above that it works with win7-64, and now I'll make an exception to that: it works but takes maybe 90 seconds to get an IP from my router, while all the linux distros get that done almost immediately. I have the very latest bios and windows driver from Gigabyte already. I only rarely use Windows, the delay is not a big issue there.

Thanks again for all the help. Not sure that Lubuntu is going to survive, now that it's working. Much prefer KDE.