Holiday Linux VirtualBox installations

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Well, I installed VirtualBox on my Debian Wheezy Intel Core i3, 4GB RAM laptop. Doesn't have a great video card but the rest is quite nice of a lower end PC these days.

Created 15GB partitions each for the two installs with just under 2GB RAM set aside for VirtualBox use. I can only have two so I will have to see which one I like more and keep that and delete the other to install something else next month.

Ubuntu 14.4.1

First I installed Ubuntu 14.4.1 and now installing Linux Mint 17 "Quiana" xfce.

I will install xfce on Ubuntu and see if I can be happier with it. It is sluggish in Cinnamon or Unity or whatever they call their default desktop and I really don't like it anyway.

Some really nice things with Ubuntu though. It installed flawlessly on VirtualBox. Defaults Firefox and Thunderbird. How can one go wrong with that. It also has some really nice default photo/image editors and viewers, one of which I hadn't seen before; others are also installed on Debian such as The GiMP. Also LibreOffice is default. Very nice in that regard.

I still do not like their change of philosophy on advertising...

Where do I go to turn of that search advertising crap again?

Linux Mint 17 "Quiana"

Maybe before I actually install this, I should ask a question on this. I didn't find a specific type of Linux like with Ubuntu for Linux Mint "Quiana" in VirtualBox. I chose Other Linux. That should be good or should I create a 64-bit of some other base distro?

Will report back after installing Linux Mint 17 "Quiana".

Guest LilBambi

OK, this version doesn't have Other Linux (64), so I will go back and create it with the first one I chose and than changed it because I wasn't sure if it would work right (your second suggestion Ubuntu (64) LOL!

Thanks!

Guest LilBambi

I tried to install the latest and it went in fine, but had trouble getting it to install the guest additions/extensions. Installation was asking for a password and none would work. So I uninstalled it and installed what was in the repos for Debian 4.1.8 or something like that.

Edited by LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Linux Mint 17 "Quiana"

Maybe before I actually install this, I should ask a question on this. I didn't find a specific type of Linux like with Ubuntu for Linux Mint "Quiana" in VirtualBox. I chose Other Linux. That should be good or should I create a 64-bit of some other base distro?

Will report back after installing Linux Mint 17 "Quiana".

Upon Josh's recommendation, I have used the Ubuntu (64) profile to install Linux Mint 17 "Quiana". It went great!

I now have two VirtualBox installations:

fECvvuJ.jpg

Guest LilBambi

And here's the screenshot:

kqkYL5e.jpg

I tried to find the share your desktop topic but I didn't look very hard. Figured when we found it, maybe we should pin it. ;)

Doesn't have to be Debian based. In fact, I was thinking of Scientific Linux or CentOS too. Or maybe Slackware since ArchLinux takes so much bandwidth.

Guest LilBambi

I thought about pinning it before but wasn't for sure we should of not. Where do you want it pinned?

Just pin it and it puts it in date order in BATL.

Congrats! Here's how you turn off Ubuntu's default online search, which is actually quite simple to do, just not well-advertised:

http://www.unixmen.c...e-ubuntu-14-10/

Thanks!

It looks like you're already good to go, but I'll second the advice that you should use Ubuntu64 as the base for 64-bit Ubuntu and Mint VMs in VirtualBox. Also, Ubuntu (and therefore, Mint, as an Ubuntu derivative) now include Virtualbox modules in the repos. If the installation of guest additions aren't cooperating to your satisfaction, just open a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-x11

and reboot your VM. You should now be able to open your display settings from the System Settings menu and select your native resolution. Much easier than VBs guest additions, IMO...

Guest LilBambi

apt-get responds: virtualbox-guest-x11 is already the latest version. Excellent.

Just to be clear, the host operating system for Ubuntu and Linux Mint 17 Quiana is Debian Wheezy.

Guest LilBambi

I have decided to keep Linux Mint 17 and choose another type of system based on another type of Linux.

I started out with Mandrake back in 2000 or 2001. I backed off on them when things got weird. I think I would like to give Mageia 4.1 64-bit system as my other VirtualBox OS. I do not have room on this /home for more than 2 installs on this laptop. So I am downloading it now.

Guest LilBambi

Says about an hour two hours, and I will have it. Would have taken overnight on 3G but an hour on 4G LTE. Nice!

Edited by LilBambi

apt-get responds: virtualbox-guest-x11 is already the latest version. Excellent.

Just to be clear, the host operating system for Ubuntu and Linux Mint 17 Quiana is Debian Wheezy.

Understood. Let me clarify that you install guest additions from within your guest machine, not your host. Either the guest additions provided by Oracle, or the distro provided guest additions from the terminal. If you've already installed the Oracle guest additions, but attempt the distro guest additions from the terminal, you should get a message about guest additions already being installed from a different source and asking if you want to continue with removing the existing and installing the new. I forget the exact message, so I'm paraphrasing. Also, IMO, the distro provided guest addition modules are preferable because they're easier to install and they're specifically tuned to your distro, whereas Oracle's guest additions module is a "one size fits all" approach, with *.deb, *.rpm, and *.exe files all provided for differing guest environments.

Lastly, may I suggest PCLinuxOS (PCLOS) as a potential VM distro for you? PCLOS is derived from that Mandrake/Mandriva family, and is an RPM based distro but using the debian derived synaptic/aptitude package manager to manage package installation. As a Debian user, this just might be familiar enough to make you warm & fuzzy, but different enough to be interesting?! Enjoy!!!

I have decided to keep Linux Mint 17 and choose another type of system based on another type of Linux.

I started out with Mandrake back in 2000 or 2001. I backed off on them when things got weird. I think I would like to give Mageia 4.1 64-bit system as my other VirtualBox OS. I do not have room on this /home for more than 2 installs on this laptop. So I am downloading it now.

Good move. It is definitely more interesting trying out os's based upon something other than Debian.

You could always keep Eric happy and give one of his favourite distros a go. Has a "more easy" installer option and the base fits easily on a cd.

http://www.absolutelinux.org/

:breakfast:

securitybreach
Also, IMO, the distro provided guest addition modules are preferable because they're easier to install and they're specifically tuned to your distro, whereas Oracle's guest additions module is a "one size fits all" approach, with *.deb, *.rpm, and *.exe files all provided for differing guest environments.

I disagree as all you have to do is click Devices on the top of your VirtualMachine and choose Insert Additions CD Image. The image pops up as a cd and you just click autorun.sh and it starts the process. Then simply reboot the virtualmachine.

Remember not all distros keep the same version of virtualbox and guest additions. For instance, the virtualbox package is at a newer version on my Archlinux machine than a Debian (example) machine would offer so I would be installing an older version of guest-additions that may not be compatible with the version of virtualbox I am using on the host.

The same applies in the reversal. Just something to ponder....

Guest LilBambi

Posting from Mageia 4.1 xfce right now in Firefox.

I don't know if I will be keeping this one, but it has a nice installer. I don't care for their Menu system, but I will try to get used to it.

Guest LilBambi

It is amazing. I tried to download it 3 or 4 times and got a partial and it died. Finally I installed Transmission-GTK and used bittorrent and it came down fully in next to no time!

securitybreach

It is amazing. I tried to download it 3 or 4 times and got a partial and it died. Finally I installed Transmission-GTK and used bittorrent and it came down fully in next to no time!

:thumbup: