• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

This report suggests Apple may be close to migrating it's PC platform away from Intel and towards its own silicon. One reason this seems plausible is that it would unify all their hardware to a single architecture and make software development simpler.

'freedom...is actually the reason that men live together in political organisations at all. Without it, political life as such would be meaningless. The raison d'Être of politics is freedom, and its field of experience is action'.
My Flickr Photo Blog Posted Image
del.icio.us bookmarks Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   Jeber

Jeber

Still Version 1.0 beta

• Forum Moderators
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

I suppose it makes sense, especially considering that the next wave of laptops will be little more than tablets with attached keyboards (I'm particularly thinking of devices like the Chromebook) and a beefed-up mobile processor should perform adequately. The downside is that those of us with Intel based Macs won't be seeing any improved OSs for our computers. Could Mountain Lion be the last OS for Intel based Macs?

He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher, an idiotĚ
(Douglas Adams)

Jeber Central
Jeber's Journal

#3 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,534 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:26 AM

but did apple finally upgrade the hardware in the mac, anyway?
last i'd heard, it was a "maybe" or "maybe not" going to happen.

and... i wish apple the best of luck (snerk) with that... intel's got some pretty powerful stuff.
but if power is not apple's goal anymore, well... chips ahoy!
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:09 AM

Temmu, pretty much everything has been update to Ivy Bridge this year. the Only Mac that has not been updated is the Mac Pro, which rumors indicate may be updated early next year.

Adam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,257 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

Sure. Apple can continue its policy of utilizing really, really cheap Chinese slave labor to produce its own processors. Excellent idea! Then they can really corner the market with cheaply made iJunk and and Walmart-like bullying.

#6 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

Yeah, this is nothing new. They have been working toward this for the last, what? Two years?

I think most of us saw this coming. Apple like to control how their products are made, and used, and how they look. We all know that. The only saving grace is that they make great products. I love their products.

Edited by LilBambi, 07 November 2012 - 03:48 PM.
rewrote the inflammatory words, that was uncalled for

Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#7 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

This does not mean I don't use Windows and especially Linux still. I use Windows to keep abreast of what my the majority of my clients need. I use Linux for fun and freedom. But Apple makes life easier in many respects and their integration between devices and their computers/laptops can't be beat, IMHO.

Android comes a close second, but I still like my Apple products in general for that integration.

Oh, and btw, Apple is not the only, or the worst when it comes to so called slave labor.

If one wants to complain about that, complain about all electronics companies that do that.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#8 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,257 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

View PostLilBambi, on 07 November 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

Oh, and btw, Apple is not the only, or the worst when it comes to so called slave labor.

Of course they aren't. GREED is a blight on mankind. Everyone's in for a penny and a pound and the last drop of blood these days. It's not just electronics companies, either.

P. S. I shouldn't even be in this area making inflammatory comments. Please accept my apologies. I'm going back to BATL where I can stay out of trouble, for the most part. :yes:

#9 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

ROFL I hear ya Eric. You are always welcome here. You know that.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   burninbush

burninbush

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

Uhmmm ... re 'last OS' -- but can't you boot several varieties of linux on Mac laptops?

I had to finally give up my beloved win2k on recent motherboard upgrades -- can't get drivers.  But linux saved the day.

#11 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

Linux is great and yes, you can run Linux on Intel Macs.

Here's just one place with links to Intel Mac Linux or iLinux LOL!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users