Pclinuxos-64-full monty / Is it really a 64bit OS?

onederer

Hi,

Get:1 http://ftp.nluug.nl pclinuxos/32bit/updates firefox 31.0-1pclos2014 [34.7MB]

Fetched 34.7MB in 19s (1797kB/s)

Committing changes...

Preparing ############################## [100%]

Updating / installing

firefox-31.0-1pclos2014.i586 ############################## [100%]

Now I was told by a prominent official that the 64bit PCLinuxOS-kde, is supposed to be all 64bit. As you can see above, from the repository, I was sent a 32bit Firefox browser. And the repository, is listed as the 32bit NLUUG, As can be seen from the pasting above. This is not the first time that I've seen 32bit downloads.. Perhaps they are meant because 32bit can run in a 64bit environment? Does PCLinuxOS include the 32bit and the 64bit programming on the same DVD? When installed,does it cause confusion?

Frankly, I'm confused. I thought that all files should be 64bit, for a 64bit capable computer, if it the OS was downloaded as a 64bit OS. Anybody got more insight in this matter? I'm not a coder, and don't understand what I'm seeing.

securitybreach

Most of the time 64bit installs use multilibs(lib32 files) and such but this is the first time I have seen an actual application install a 32bit version on a 64bit install.

I've seen a bunch of them 32-bit downloads, and when I inquired, the reply to this topic, was dismissed. I saw that the 32-bit designations are only seen from the repository. Once installed in the computer, no reference is then made as to the application being either 32bit or 64bit. I mean, the OS is running fine, that not the problem. But if there is a lot of 32-bit apps. in the 64-bit environment, that most likely, will slow down the machine. And that's probably why Google Mail put me in the slow lane for email browsing, with no recovery from that mode. I'm using Firefox right now for my email. All editing functions in this forum are missing. The text entry boxes are small. It's what one might call, bland!

So, for me, the question is still open.

Cheers!

V.T. Eric Layton

You can run 32 bit apps on a 64 bit system, but not vice versa. Personally, I run as pure a 64 bit system as I can in Slackware. I do not have 32 bit libs installed. I ONLY use 64 bit repos to or 64 bit SlackBuilds for software.

Looks to me like you have the wrong repos activated in your PCLOS.

And the repository, is listed as the 32bit NLUUG

I'm not the Mandriva/PCLOS expert around here. That used to be Bruno; now it's Barry B. Anyway, as I said, you have the wrong repo enabled. This is why you're installing 32 bit apps... because that's what you're asking for when you install from the 32 bit repo. You'll need to change that. Also, if you've been doing this all along, you have a very hybrid system right now... lots of mixed 64/32bit stuff installed. Not bad, but not how I'd want my system to be set up.

Maybe this will be useful:

http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201103/page19.html

V.T. Eric Layton

=====

By the way, I doubt very seriously if Google's Gmail put you into "slow lane" mode, as you call it because of the 32 bit FF you're running. The Google website has no clue what architecture your browser is using. It could be 32 or 64 bit. The website doesn't know and doesn't care. Websites are only concerned with bandwidth and IP addreses. The Gmail site believes, for whatever reason, that you're on a slow Internet connection. This is why you've been put in that slow mode. I'm pretty sure that in the Gmail settings, you can override that.

Well one sure fire way to find out is to see which kernel is loaded:

uname -m

Yes, I'd be curious to know his output for that command. My guess is that he's just using the wrong repo, though.

V.T. Eric Layton

Wow! Must be late. I thought I was posting on the Firefox/Gmail in the slow lane thread here.

Well, anyway...

securitybreach

Yes, I'd be curious to know his output for that command. My guess is that he's just using the wrong repo, though.

Yeah, probably

I tried your uname -m = i686

Is that the repository's fault? I don't remember seeing any indication whether the repo... is 32 or 64bit. I thought that they carry in the same mirror for both 64 and 32bit.

Well it looks like a have quite a hybrid of an OS there! Now, how do I go about fixing this back to 64bit? How do I identify which repository is 64bit?

Cheers!

V.T. Eric Layton

i686 means you have a 32 bit machine operating system.

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

i686 means you have a 32 bit machine. you should be running PCLOS 32 bit and you SHOULD be using ONLY the 32 bit repo in that case.

Well the DVD, and the mirror site, did state that the OS was supposed the 64bit version. And when I asked a certain person, he did claim and it was 64bit. And I've been running other 64bit OS's in this machine before. But from the getgo, I did spy on 32bit updates coming in, although it was denied. So, how should I take this? Oh, and I did try to use the live DVD on a 32bit machine, it only got as far as the bootsplash, then froze there. I'm talking about the point where the os is just displaying the preliminary icons, before actually running the OS.

Edited by onederer

V.T. Eric Layton

Can you post the specs for your machine (processor, etc.)?

The command uname -m is directly enquiring of the kernel what its architecture is. That command doesn't lie. X686 means you're running a 32 bit PCLOS.

securitybreach

Yeah, you are running the 32bit version. A lot of distros include 32bit and 64bit on the same image and you choose when you boot it (archlinux does this also).

Can you post the specs for your machine (processor, etc.)?

The command uname -m is directly enquiring of the kernel what its architecture is. That command doesn't lie. X686 means you're running a 32 bit PCLOS.

dentificationProcessor ID: ‎1Vendor: ‎AuthenticAMDModel name: ‎AMD Turion II P540 Dual-Core ProcessorCpuid family: ‎16Model: ‎6Model stepping: ‎3Cpuid level: ‎5PerformancesFrequency (MHz): ‎800.000Cache size: ‎1024 KBBogomips: ‎4787.94CoresCores: ‎2Core ID: ‎0Physical ID: ‎0ACPI ID: ‎0Siblings: ‎2MiscFlags: ‎fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt nodeid_msr hw_pstate npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_saveWrite protection: ‎YesHowever from the control panel, nothing specifies directly if it is a 64bit machine. That is, unless you know the terminology of the AMD chips. Believe me, it is a 64 bit machine.I've use 64bit OS's before in this laptop. As far as the uname-m, could it pick this up from os, and not from the Bios?

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, that Turion II P540 is defintely a 64 bit CPU.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Turion%20II%20Dual-Core%20Mobile%20P540%20-%20TMP540SGR23GM.html

You should be running a 64 bit OS to take full advantage, though.

uname -m is querying the kernel. You're running a 32 bit version of the operating system. The MACHINE IS 64 bit, though. :yes:

Do you think that I've been duped into thinking that this OS was a 64 bit OS? If you look at the mirrors, it is listed as a 64bit OS. And the maintainer claimed that it was a 64bit OS. Also, the uname -m, I think that it is picking up the chip version based on the running OS.Am I right? What would you do, if you found out something like this?

Cheers!

Onederer

You have not been duped, the 64bit version of PCLinuxOS is 64bit and so are the supporting repos...

http://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/apt/pclinuxos/64bit/RPMS.x86_64/ if you look there is a 64bit Firefox version

firefox-31.0-1pclos2014.x86_64.rpm

if your drill up ypu will see the 32 bit folder http://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/apt/pclinuxos/32bit/RPMS.updates/

with

firefox-31.0-1pclos2014.i586.rpm

Not sure how 32bit version got installed...guess at this point it really doesnt matter...Usually if you try to run 64bit OS on a 32 bit machine you will get a warning that the system can not support the OS, at least that is what I have seen..not a freeze up. It is possible that Full Monty has some 32 bit apps that aren't 64bit ported and uses 32mulitilibs to allow those functions, and to do that activates the 32 bit repos folders as well. But that should not convert your system to a 32 bit system.

Oh well, might as well keep on using the browser. I thought that I took great pain to download (what I thought was 64bit). The burner also told me that it was 64bit, and on the dvd is listed as 64bit. Whatever happened, I guess that I do have to spank my finger after all!

Funny though, the live DVD did not work in my 32bit Dell. It only partially booted just to the point where the desktop would startup, and stayed there. I wanted to try it in a 32bit machine to verify my suspicion, but that attempt failed. Interesting development!

Ckeers!

Do you happen to know if the 64bit fullmonty DVD .iso also contains the 32bit OS? If that's the case, then I probably pushed the wrong button. Otherwise, I don't understand how this happened! When I burned the DVD with K3B, at the end, the title was listed as the 64-bit version. And this what caused all the confusion. I guess that now it is evident, that I ended up with the 32bit FullMonty.

But as I was still failing to understand the full story, I made some booboo's. /etc/apt/sources.list is all 32bit. I found a full link for the 64bit sources. Then I moved the /sources.list to /sources.list.32bit. I then created a new empty sources.list. Someone from PCLos Forum sent me the link for the 64bit sources. Using ARK, I uncompressed the file, and tried ARK to install the list in the new "sources.list" No matter what I tried, it never happened! By this time, I was starting to get my feathers ruffled. I then tried to copy and hopefully paste (using an editor), and then save it to the new sources.list. ARK doesn't allow that!

Next, the full link for the 64bit sources, I hand copied it, and pasted into the new sources.list. I figured that perhaps Synaptic would pick up on that, and change my files to 64bit. Instead, Synaptic totally greyed out. I tried an "apt-get update". That seemed to work fine. But where the update was sent, that's only speculative. And there was something ellse, unexpected, that happened. The OS complained that it couldn't find a certain IP address for the link. So, again, no sources link. As far as the address thing, I don't know how to handle that.

So now, I have an empty sources.list. Synaptic that died (perhaps because of the empty sources.list). And hopefully, a still working 32bit sources.list which I will have to move back to the sources.list. I hope that this still works! So this attempt was a failure. Include in this, a 32bit OS on a 64-bit titled DVD, that I installed. By the way, that 32bit?? live DVD will not run in my 32bit DELL. Go figure! Do you think that the DVD was probably mis-labeled at the mirror site? Just a guess. Anyone know how to convert a 32-bit OS into a 64bit OS, to run in a 64bit machine? That is, without re-installation.

Cheers!

V.T. Eric Layton

You are running the 32 bit operating system. You CANNOT use the 64 bit repos. It's that simple. You need to re-install using a 64 bit iso. From the looks of the repository where I linked to that iso above, the 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems are SEPARATE downloads/isos, which is as it should be for most distributions of Linux. To be honest with you, I don't ever remember downloading a "combo" iso. It would be too large to fit on one DVD, for one thing.

You're going to have to wipe and re-install the operating system using a new download of the 64 bit version. I don't know any other easy way to do it. I guess you could manually download the proper 64 bit kernel, compile it yourself and also download all the 64 bit libraries and apps. Then you might, in some Dr. Frankenstein way, managed to cobble together a highly questionable 32/64 bit OS. It's not worth all that effort, believe me. Wipe, re-install, be happy. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

And, by the way, Onederer... I know you to be a pretty smart Linux user, so this isn't meant as an insult or to demean. It's just a matter of odds...

If I were a betting man and someone asked me to bet whether the repository had mislabeled the PCLOS isos or you had made a little boo-boo when downloading from that site, I'd have to bet on you making the boo-boo. We've all done it. It's nothing to be ashamed of. It happens. :yes:

Oh well, call me a temporary dreamer. I've just installed so many OS's since the first fiasco, I'm just tired. And I can't get it out of my mind, when I copied from the screen, the 64bit title header that K3B presented, after it burned the DVD. It definitely did not say 32bit. That's what started the confusion. That title is what I wrote on the DVD, before using it. :teehee:

V.T. Eric Layton

When you do the new download, you should also run the md5sum test to make sure that you're actually getting a good download of what it says it actually is. To run the test, in case you're not familiar with it, just do this in the command line once you have your download completed:

$ md5sum pclinuxos64-kde-fullmonty-2014.08.iso

You'll receive a number/letter sequence as an output. Compare that to the md5sum provided in the repo. In the case of the link I posted above the md5sum would be:

c0709225f9984d322623e5259a8b598b pclinuxos64-kde-fullmonty-2014.08.iso

If your md5sum output matches this one above, you're in business. :)

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton
  • Like 1

To be honest with you, I don't ever remember downloading a "combo" iso. It would be too large to fit on one DVD, for one thing.

Download the new Arch Linux ISO from the Arch Linux download page.

• A single image is provided which can be booted into an i686 and x86_64 live system to install Arch Linux over the network. Media containing the [core] repository are no longer provided.
  • Install images are signed and it is highly recommended to verify their signature before use: this can be done by downloading the .sig file from the download page (or one of the mirrors listed there) to the same directory as the .iso file and then using pacman-key -v iso-file.sig.

Simple old Arch has a small dual cd as an install medium. Mind you there is not much on the cd, just a plain old simple working base os. :clap:

• Like 1

Well now, I have the real 64bit version! Using the partition application, again was h..l. I thought that I had done things right, but somehow, something came up. The 32bit platter is now on the shelf, and my installation was on a different hard drive, plugged into a dual-slot external USB portal.

I'll have to start a new post for what came up. See you on the upcoming post!

Cheers!

• Like 1