regarding Fluxbox

wa4chq

I have an openSUSE 42.2 installation with KDE, but I've added Fluxbox to it. The first shot shows the default Fluxbox desktop; the second shot shows what it's looking like now.

opensuse42_2_fluxbox_2.jpg

opensuse_42_2_fluxbox_5.jpg

• Like 2

I have an openSUSE 42.2 installation with KDE, but I've added Fluxbox to it. The first shot shows the default Fluxbox desktop; the second shot shows what it's looking like now.

opensuse42_2_fluxbox_2.jpg

opensuse_42_2_fluxbox_5.jpg

I like the clean, elegant look also. I'm always trying to balance "clean & elegant" versus "easily accessible & productive". I like your menu transparency! Is that using fluxbox built-in pseudo-transparency, compton, or transparent background *.png menu files?

• Like 1

Ooops! Thought this was the screenshot thread. Sorry. :(

No worries! Feel free to download fluxbox, substitute it for the XFCE window manager while keeping the XFCE skin, and re-submit for consideration! :hysterical:

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmmm... nah. Waaay too lazy these days. Besides, I just recently lost a week of my life getting this system up and running. Just the thought of downloading, building, installing, debugging something new makes me sleepy. ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is that using fluxbox built-in pseudo-transparency, compton, or transparent background *.png menu files?

Fluxbox's pseudo-transparency.

how did you get the transparency effect on the menu, but not the toolbar? or is there transparency on the toolbar, but the black background makes it appear opaque?

You're the character responsible for hooking me on fluxbox, so maybe you can help...i'd like to have transparency on rootmenu, but nothing else. transparency in rootmenu/fluxbox/transparency affects all fluxbox components; alpha settings in menu config seem to have no effect; and a semi-transparent *.png menu background created in GIMP looks very washed out. Any thoughts on how to accomplish what I'm looking for?

how did you get the transparency effect on the menu, but not the toolbar? or is there transparency on the toolbar, but the black background makes it appear opaque?

I didn't do much, just changed a couple of things. My transparency settings, in the Fluxbox Configuration menu:

Transparency:

Force Pseudo-Transparency - on

Focused Window Alpha: 255

Unfocused Window Alpha: 255

Menu Alpha: 200

Toolbar:

Alpha: 255

opensuse_fluxbox_transparency.jpg

I think it's possible that some Fluxbox styles might not work as expected with Fluxbox pseudo-transparency, but don't quote me on that. Anyway, I'm currently using the "bora_black" style here in openSUSE. I'm using the fbsetbg -r command in the ~/.fluxbox/init file to pick a random wallpaper from my wallpapers directory when Fluxbox starts. I have feh installed. Hope something there helps!

I didn't do much, just changed a couple of things. My transparency settings, in the Fluxbox Configuration menu:

Transparency:

Force Pseudo-Transparency - on

Focused Window Alpha: 255

Unfocused Window Alpha: 255

Menu Alpha: 200

Toolbar:

Alpha: 255

opensuse_fluxbox_transparency.jpg

I think it's possible that some Fluxbox styles might not work as expected with Fluxbox pseudo-transparency, but don't quote me on that. Anyway, I'm currently using the "bora_black" style here in openSUSE. I'm using the fbsetbg -r command in the ~/.fluxbox/init file to pick a random wallpaper from my wallpapers directory when Fluxbox starts. I have feh installed. Hope something there helps!

aha! i tend to look to the file first....like commenting out the toolbar in the init file. Following that logic, I was working way too hard, trying to change alpha settings in style text file with menu.alpha: xxx

i completely forgot about the rootmenu settings option(s). doh!

• Like 1