11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

Discussion Deity

• No Longer a Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 07:45 PM

I am attemping to repair my brother's Toshiba Satalite 3005 laptop. He broke the power connector and I need to order a replacement motheboard. I have totally disaembled the motherboard but I am stuck on the CPU. I cannot remove the CPU unit because I can't figure out how to open/unlock the ZIF socket. Every laptop I've worked on(mostly Dells) has a screw that you turn to unlock the ZIF socket. This has somekind of slot with a clip that I can't figure out how I am suppose to remove it. I've tried to insert a flat screwdriver in the slot but I can seem to feel anykind of slide or switch that will release the socket.http://www.free-imag...16418261928.pngPick at the above link. Slot is on right side of pic.Anyone know how to open this?
Nathan Williams, N-Line Computers

How to kill a programmer:  Give him a shampoo bottle.  Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

#2 OFFLINE   -ct-

-ct-

Message Mogul

• No Longer a Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 10:09 PM

see the small silver rectangle on the right side there?i beleive you slide that (up, in the orientation)  and then the entire silver clip moves the chipgimmie a few min. and i'll check the toshiba website (<< authorized tech here;) )actually, i need the specific model number3005-Sxxx ?

#3 OFFLINE   nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

Discussion Deity

• No Longer a Member
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 10:49 PM

S303Mainboard part# K000811030

#4 OFFLINE   nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

Discussion Deity

• No Longer a Member
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 10:35 AM

I've tried to slide that clip and I can't make it move.  Afraid to apply much force on it....

#5 OFFLINE   -ct-

-ct-

Message Mogul

• No Longer a Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 11:43 AM

very odd...are you sure that's the right model number?what i have found is that there is a standard looking socket on that model, and a small round circle which is a lock- you turn it counterclockwise to unlock the cpu and it will lift right outthe pic you have posted doesn't show thishas this laptop ever been opened up before? if so, what was done? it looks possible that something may have been broken off deliberatly if that's the caseif not, it's just not the right model #, since what i can access shows me a different boardis there a PS300U- infront of that part #K000811030?Removal 1. Rotate the CPU lock 180 degrees to the Unlocked positionhttp://www.free-imag...16510384122.jpg(THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Sorry, dynamic pages in the [IMG] tags are not allowedsay what? scot - that's gotta change. never had that problem before!)2. Lift the processor off its socket. i'm still betting that small silver rectangle moves, one way or anothercan you get some closer and/or other angles of the cpu and socket?

#6 OFFLINE   nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

Discussion Deity

• No Longer a Member
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 12:09 PM

Yep it is the correct model number as is the part number for the mainboard.This link is as close as I can get.  I only have a flatbed scanner.http://www.free-imag...16511065817.jpg

#7 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 02:39 PM

Maybe the knob has that silver lever underneath as mechanism, and therefore the lever must be turned in the same fashion to free the chip.

#8 OFFLINE   nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

Discussion Deity

• No Longer a Member
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 03:43 PM

b2cm, on Jun 14 2004, 01:41 PM, said:

Maybe the knob has that silver lever underneath as mechanism, and therefore the lever must be turned in the same fashion to free the chip.
:huh:What knob?  Not sure what you are refering to here.

#9 OFFLINE   -ct-

-ct-

Message Mogul

• No Longer a Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 04:28 PM

perfect scansee where it says "lock" and "open"?well, that small silver rectangle moves, one way or the other but counterclockwise for sure, releasing the cpu to be liftedone other thing is MAYBE there is a missing piece that would have been over that entire silver bar, (it's still not showing as the right part or board on the toshiba site, maybe this is a very early version of that model) and that had the circle locking mechanisimif so, it's gonna be diffucult to insert something into the slot between the words LOCK and OPEN, to turn and release the socketa different angle really would help...

#10 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 05:17 PM

What knob? Not sure what you are refering to here.
That circular thing in CT's posted snapshot which is missing in your's. But maybe CT is correct about this difference as between two versions of the same board.

it's gonna be diffucult to insert something into the slot between the words LOCK and OPEN, to turn and release the socket ...
Maybe a coin or wide screwdriver's tip would do. Counter-clockwise ... 180 degrees?

#11 OFFLINE   nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

Discussion Deity

• No Longer a Member
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 06:55 PM

Well I just talked to the motherboard supplier and they tell me that this motherboard needs a special key to unlock it.    It fits in the slot and you push it down towards the narrow end and it will move the whole socket out a bit and release the chip.  They offered to move the chip for me onto the new motherboard.  So I will ship it to them and let them do just that.  Thanks anyway guys.

#12 OFFLINE   -ct-

-ct-

Message Mogul

• No Longer a Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:15 PM

nlinecomputers, on Jun 14 2004, 05:57 PM, said:

Well I just talked to the motherboard supplier and they tell me that this motherboard needs a special key to unlock it.    It fits in the slot and you push it down towards the narrow end and it will move the whole socket out a bit and release the chip.  They offered to move the chip for me onto the new motherboard.  So I will ship it to them and let them do just that.  Thanks anyway guys.
that's what i figured ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users