Camino

Neil P

[i don't have a Mac, I'm just curious :lol: ]I'm just wondering how many of you Mac users use Camino, from the good people at Mozilla.For those unaware of Camino, it was formerly named "Chimera" but the name was changed due to legal issues (similar issues arose over Phoenix's name). Whereas Mozilla and Mozilla Firebird are designed to be cross platform, Camino is Mac OS X only. Development has faltered recently, but Mike Pinkerton, the chief developer, has said a few things recently:Camino 0.8 updateCamino UpdateCamino Roadmap

Pinkerton wants to ship from the Mozilla 1.7 branch, which has been moved out 3 weeks, and is expected to branch around April 2nd. Camino 0.8 should ship shortly after (the Camino roadmap above is slightly stale, but the idea remains the same).Nightly Camino builds can always be found here, with the 0.7 release (very out of date; released way back on March 7, 2003) hereJust wondering how many of you prefer Camino, or would if it were actually developed. Or how many of you plain hate it.

Well, to be honest with you, I really liked Camino and I have used it while it was still Chimera too.Since they stopped developing it I stopped using it as Firbird is ok and gives me updated based.But if they continue development, I will certainly start using it again.That would be something like Galeon for Gnome.They just get Mac System and their browser behaves properly.Firbird is more generic and appears to be targeted at the Windows mostly :D

I started using it when it was still called Chimera, but stopped when I thought developement had also stopped. That's when I switched to Firebird. I've still got it on my system, but haven't used it in a while. I found it to be a very quick browser. If they're going to continue developement, I just might start using it again.

Isn't Apple promoting Safari as the browser of choice for OS X, though? What's that like?
It is very good, light and easy to browse with.I am just accustomed to Mozilla way of things, hence the leaning in that direction.I have absolutly no complaints on Safari and I think it works much better then IE ever was on Mac platform.

Have you tried nightlies? Development has picked up again recently, for the bug-fixing push to 0.8 and the polish fixes for 0.9

Guest LilBambi

Wow, not only is development picked up for Camino but Firebird has been renamed to Firefox and 0.8 has been released.Mozilla.org's new title is "home of mozilla, firefox and camino browsers" -- really glad to see they picked up and began to develop for Camino again.Camino was considered the fastest browser for the Mac at one time .. I hope it returns to its former glory now that they are developing for it again.:thumbsup: