Mepis, rearrange boot menu

zlim

I can open /boot/grub/menu.lst Now the question is, how do I edit it. I keep getting permission denied for the changes I made when I try to save it.I opened a terminal but after switching to root, can't figure out the exact command to open /boot/grub/menu.lst so I can do the changes. I want to move the first choice to last place or even comment it out for the time being, because the computer freezes if that is selected.I finally found help at of all places Ubuntu.Here's what I did, changing the text editor from what Ubuntu uses to one that can be used in Mepis.1. Open terminal and change to root2. **** (always for me) make a backup

#cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst-BACKUP

#kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst

4. I decided to comment out the choice that freezes my computer rather than change location. If I can't see it, I can't accidentally select it.

Edited by zlim

I can open /boot/grub/menu.lst Now the question is, how do I edit it. I keep getting permission denied for the changes I made when I try to save it.I opened a terminal but after switching to root, can't figure out the exact command to open /boot/grub/menu.lst so I can do the changes. I want to move the first choice to last place or even comment it out for the time being, because the computer freezes if that is selected.
??? Well, you could just $su, and give it the password which is 'root' unless you've changed it, and then #kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst. Kwrite works like most editors - highlight a section of text with the mouse, then you can delete it or cut it or copy it or paste it -- whatever. As always, for an important system file, make a copy of it before you begin to change things. When you finish, #exit will take you back to your usual prompt. Generally, to move text in a file, I'd highlight, then ctrl-X to cut it to the clipboard, then put the mouse insertion cursor where you want it to be moved, then a ctrl-V will paste it from the clipboard. Or you could just logon as root in the first place -- at the same bootup logon screen where you normally become the unprivileged user. Menu.lst is one of those files that belongs to root -- and only that user is allowed to change it.

I did find a way to do. The kwrite was the part I did not think to do.Thank goodness, Ubuntu mentioned making a backup, for me, that is essential and not a step I can afford to miss because I'm fairly new at this.