HP 4050 printer install & Slackware

Capt.Crow

As usual like a dog chasing my own tail ,I have been scooting around the net looking for info on installing an HP 4050 lazerjet on Slackware. 14.xx

Lots of info . But nothing works . lsusb ,no instance. tried with GUI . nowt.Tried term root . Lots of red warnings .hp-setup will show nothing .

I (and no doubt many others) would be grateful for line by line install instructions .

Many thanks for any assistance .

Edited by Capt.Crow

Guest LilBambi

Seems not to be fully supported. You may get it to print, but not scan...

HP Linux Imaging and Printing

Go down to Slackware in the table; No installer, but does have a GUI, no scanning, ALL but the GUI are NO on the table for Slackware ... seems it is just not all that great on Slackware....

V.T. Eric Layton

It doesn't scan or fax in any Linux distribution, actually. That's par for the course with Linux. It's always been behind the times when it comes to scanning and faxing because there are no built-in scanning or faxing tools in the kernel or operating system. Bruno and I went nuts trying to figure this out a few years back. Scanning in Linux requires a third party stand-alone app, usually Sane, XSane, or something similar. It also needs a stand-alone app for faxing, usually something like HylaFAX, which I never could get to work on my system. Since HP doesn't offer a means to integrate its printer drivers with the required third party apps, you're basically screwed.

I can scan using my old flatbed HP scanner and XSane in Slackware, but to FAX, I have to boot Windows. :(

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

Panic over ..... Good job its is to be keepin notes to be shure to be shure... Hic... Didn't I only skip over the printer files when I was puttin in the owl oprating system thingie. Begob I never installed the cups thinking I wouldn't be drinking em!! printing with thish computer.

Anyway ish no problem .Shure Im jus gonna restart the hole ting over from schratch !!

:Hammys_pint: :Hammys_pint: :Hammys_pint: :Laughing:

Merry xmas everybody,

gonna be some good times now .

• Like 2