software installation

longgone

I have finished a d/l of a "tar.gz" pkg and now would like to install same ... I read the tips portion about this but obviously did not get the picture .. it starts out as user then jumps to root then back to user then again to root .... h e l p ....

Can we assume that this package is not available in the rpm/deb/.tgz for you distro via its pacakage manager?What package is it?Which Distro?

linuxdude32

How it's installed depends on the particular package. It's certainly better (that is, easier) if you can use an rpm, deb, etc. but it's not always possible so here's a general method for dealing with .tar.gz files (tarballs).First, unzip and unarchive it by right-clicking and extracting in konqueror or whatever your preference is. Or, if you prefer the command-line:tar zxvf foobar.tar.gzOnce you've done this, you'll see a bunch of files and possibly other directories as well. Look for a README.1ST, README or INSTALL file (in that order). You should at least glance at each of this. Usually one of them will tell you what do do next. If it's a source file, that will usually be the following:(as regular user)./configure(as regular user)make(as root user)make installNote that for compiling source code, you need at a minimum (other packages may be required too):gccmakebin-utilsglibc-develIf it's a binary .tar.gz INSTEAD (like rkhunter is, for example), there should be an install.sh script. Execute it with:./install.shIn any case, whatever is in the README.1ST, README, INSTALL files overrides anything said here so READ the files (or anything on the website).Have fun!

I am going to say that this is not going to appear where Adam said ... the name of the pkg is eDonkeyLinux1.1.tar.gz ...

Hi DaleI suppose this is fro mandriva 2005LE ?? . . . In that case I have the following URPMI alternatives:

Name: xmuleVersion: 1.10.0-2plfSize: 2966 KBMedium: plf-freeCurrently installed version: (none)Summary: File sharing client compatible with eDonkeyDescription: xMule is an easy to use multi-platform client for ED2K Peer-to-Peer Network. It is originally based on eMule, the popular windows-only client for the same network. xMule currently supports (but is not limited to) the following platforms: Linux, *BSD and MacOS X.
Name: amuleVersion: 2.0.2-1plfSize: 5861 KBMedium: plf-freeCurrently installed version: (none)Summary: File sharing client compatible with eDonkeyDescription: aMule is an easy to use multi-platform client for ED2K Peer-to-Peer Network.  It is a fork of xMule, whis was based on emule for Windows. aMule currently supports (but is not limited to) the following platforms: Linux, *BSD and MacOS X.
Name: ed2k-gtk-guiVersion: 0.6.3-2plfSize: 2636 KBMedium: plf-freeCurrently installed version: (none)Summary: Gui frontend for eDonkey2000 and Overnet command line clients.Description: ed2k-gtk-gui is a graphical frontend (GUI) that allows you to control an eDonkey2000 or Overnet command line client (core) running on the local machine or on a remote host. It is based on the GTK+-2.x toolkit and the  gnet library . You will need to obtain the eDonkey2000 or Overnet command line client  separately. (see http://ed2k-gtk-gui.sf.net/ for links). NEEDS:Name: overnetclcVersion: 1.0.1-2plfSize: 832 KBMedium: plf-nonfreeCurrently installed version: (none)Summary: Overnet command line client for the overnet protocolDescription: This is the decentralised server-less peer-to-peer (p2p) successor network to eDonkey2000. Overnet is non-free/proprietary This package is in plf because mandrakelinux policy forbids p2p applications in contribs. It is too because of its license.
All from PLF sources . . . installable in the MCC ;);) Bruno

Bruno,,,Thank you .. I take it that I will have to add "PLF sources" to the media pkg and then just enter the name of the software pkg in the search window .. how many "PLF sources" are there ??

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: ..............Well .. all those sources were added ... "emule" search turned up "no results" ,, "a mule" showed up and now appears under fie sharing ... d/l the last one also but I have no idea where it went .. suggestion ... ???

Well .. all those sources were added ... "emule" search turned up "no results"
Dale, "emule" was not one of the packages I listed . . <_< . . . . "xmule" and "ed2k-gtk-gui" were, but ed2k-gtk-gui needs "overnetclc" :)After that i am lost because I never use any P2P software . . . . ;):hmm: Bruno

It appears that emule changed its name to xmule. This is in the list of updates for PCLos, which is similar to your Mandriva:

* Tue May 27 2003  1.4.0-1plf- renamed to xMule- 1.4.0
That could be why the empty search. This was in today's update list. :D

:D :hmm: :D Bruno/Teacher,,,,,,,,,,opppss......... musta had bad eyeballs there .. will try the x instead of the e ... I did d/l that overnetclc ... to go along with the parent pkg .. it d/l fine .. no errors .. I just have no idea where it went too ... I did a chech in ls -al and the amule is there but that other one is lost somewhere .. ???

DaleWhat happens if you type "xmule" in a terminal ??AndWhat happens if you type "ed2k-gtk-gui" in a terminal ??:D Bruno

bash: ed2k-gtk-gui: command not found[dale@localhost ~]$ xmuleInitialising xMuleSetting value of secure-ident to true.Setting value of source-exchange to true.Setting value of command-line to true.*** UDP socket at 4672Local IP: 2904879364Creating new Cryptkey.dat ... 42b3c807 42b3c807booPublicKey: keylen=7601 01 01 05 00 03 39 00 30 36 02 31 00 9b 3a 38 1f db 79 e2 44 e8 2e eb 94 35 7c ad 45 02 01 11Loading temp files from /home/dale/.xMule/Temp/*.part.met.Loading temp files from /home/dale/.xMule/Temp/*.pnew.met.
however,,,, after all that a window opens up with all the xMule graphics and then another one pops up stating .. '/home/dale/.xMule/clients.met'(error 2: no such file or directory .. But now both xmule and amule appear in the file transfer sub menu of the internet main menu .... now all I neede to do is activate it (I think) .........