My sister can't upload on XP

bugsy_pal

HI there,My sister recently installed Windows XP Prof on her computer (she used to run Win98, but did a full wipe and install of XP), and cannot upload anything. She wanted to post pictures on eBay for some items she is selling and cannot upload the images - her computer just hangs. I asked her to check uploading via FTP, and she cannot upload anything by that method either.I asked her to send me an email with an image attachment, and it wouldn't go through. I'm not sure whether this point is related to the others, but it's very weird.She has scoured the internet for info, and found mention of other people with similar problems, but no solutions. I had a but of a look around via Google groups, but could come up with nothing of use.Any suggestions? She is contemplating going back to Win98 just so that she can upload stuff.Thanks.

What sort of connection does she use, and what type of modem? Also, what sort of FTP software?

Could be the firewall part of XP in the way. Are there any errors or it just hangs. She might want to do an implace repair/upgrade of XP maybe something did not install correctly. Also has she updated to SP1 yet? Applied any patches?Chris

Hi folks,Thanks for the replies. I'll have to check on the details of what she can and can't upload. But I know she's been battling with this for weeks. Fuzzbutt, I reckon she might have installed SP1, but I'll check. I also have a feeling she disabled the Windows Firewall thingy, but I'll check that too.Stryder, she can email plain text, and surf the net OK. She tried to send me a jpeg and a gif by email, and they both failed - it would not go through. I think she can send some attachments, but not images - once again, I will check on this.Jeber, she's using a 56K modem connection. I know that she can upload on another computer that uses the same connection. Don't know what ftp program she's been using.I'll get back to you with details. Perhaps someone can nail this one on the head! :ph34r: Cheers,Bugsy

nlinecomputers

This could be a software conflict like a firewall or antivirus program interfering. I would try this. Start/RUN/msconfig. Use selective startup and uncheck Load Startup items, reboot and try to connect again.If that works then one of the background programs is causing a conflict.

Thanks Nathan - sounds like a good suggestion. I'll get her to give "msconfig" a try and disable startup items.I am waiting to hear back from her on the other details that previous posters asked about. Hopefully that will shed some light.I did another search on Google, and found nothing definitive. Seems to be quite a bit of people reporting problems sending attachments with Outlook Express. I'm not sure if that's the program my sister is using for email, but I assume so. I wonder if that could be a problem - perhaps a component in OE interferes with uploading stuff from Internet Explorer as well.....I'll keep digging.....

Remember a while back MS had an update to outlook/outlook express that took out the ability to attach certain types of files.Chris

Guest LilBambi

That could be the problem FB....but I thought that was only on the Incoming side. Hmmmm.But either way, you could take a look at the settings in Outlook Express if she is using that.You can change the setting for blocking 'file types that could contain viruses' manually .. I view all emails as plain text and turn on/off that file type blocking setting as needed.Go to File|Tools|Options ... and choose the Security Tab. You will see the check box for "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially have a virus" and make sure it is unchecked.Then try to send a picture file again and see if it helped the problem.Also under the Read tab is the check box for reading all messages as plain text too. Remember neither of these settings is carved in stone and you do not need to restart OE to change them.

Howdy folks,Further to my last post, my sister has got back to me with further information. She is running Outlook Express as her email client. She tried "FTP Commander" for transfers, as well as the ftp client in CoolPage - neither allowed her to upload.She did install the SP1 upgrade for WinXP, to no avail. She has installed no other patches.She has disabled the XP firewall, and lowered the security settings (I 'm not sure which settings she means...).She is using a Discovery 56K modem, which is the same one she had on her old computer, and with which she could upload files in Win98 without a problem.When an upload fails, she gets no messages, it just hangs. This occurs with emails and when trying to upload images via a web page to eBay.She can send plain text emails OK. She can send .doc files as attachments OK. She cannot send an .exe file or a .html file as an attachment.Hope this information prompts further suggestions.....Many thanks,Bugsy

nlinecomputers

What Anti-Virus is she running? Have you tried to use MSCONFIG and unload EVERYTHING from the startup group and try this again? I suspect somekind of firewall or AV program is blocking this.

Martini Lover

This is the simplest thing that could be wrong. In Outlook Express, go to TOOLS/Send Tab, and make sure the HTML is checked, along with HTML settings, check send pictures with messages. With OE in XP there are some defaults that changes the way it used to work. I assume she used it before.A good group to subscribe to ismicrosoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup

Martini Lover, I'll ask her to try that - she did try LilBambi's other suggestions for OE, but they didn't work, I'm sorry to say.NLine, I've suggested that she unload startup items - but I have a feeling she's done that already. I'll see what she says.Thanks again folks....

Weel, my sister tried the other options in Outlook Express, as suggested by MartiniLover - to no availa. She still cannot upload. She is despondent about it, and tomorrow is going to reformat and install Windows 2000!Who knows what the problem is with XP? Pity we couldn't sort this one out, as it seems so simple on the face of it. I'll report back after she's installed W2K

Could it be a permissions thing on the folder where the jpgs or files are located? This is only applicable if the drive is formatted using NTFS. I'm still a novice at this permissions stuff, but thought I'd throw that out as a thought.

A thought from left field here, but what ISP is she using for sending email? Some ISP mail accounts limit the size of attachments. I've seen some limit them to 1MB. It's possible that because she's on dial-up her ISP has coincidentally at the same time she installed XP started enforcing this size restriction.

Thanks for those additional suggestions. Unfortunately, she can't try them now, because she went and installed Windows 2000 instead. Now she is happily uploading files.It could be that something was awry with permissions in XP - I don't know, and perhaps we'll never figure it out now.Thanks everyone for all your help

Well now, bugsy_pal, you're just going to have to contact her and tell her that she has deprived all of us a chance to learn something useful here. She took the easy way out...the old "reinstall the OS" trick. But we all demand she go back and reinstall XP and have the same problem so we can find a fix for it. ;)