33 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:48 PM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 21 July 2017 - 05:20 PM, said:

Plus once you link the file with ln -s...., use the ls command to see if the link was placed in /home/longship

I'd need to use "ls -a" for the file to show

[longship@22:45:01 ~]$ ls
2017-07-21-223251_180x110_scrot.png Downloads		 Linux
aaaaaaaaaaaa						 GNUstep		 Notebooks
ABCMinors						 gui_rpc_auth.cfg Pictures
BACKUPS							 KeePassDataBase tcl
Desktop							 leftoversMX-16 zzzzzzzzz
[longship@22:45:11 ~]$ ls -a
.									 Desktop			 Pictures
..								 Downloads			 .pki
2017-07-21-223251_180x110_scrot.png .esd_auth			 .reminders
aaaaaaaaaaaa						 .gkrellm2			 .steam
ABCMinors							 .gnupg			 .steampath
.adobe							 GNUstep			 .steampid
BACKUPS							 gui_rpc_auth.cfg	 .stellarium
.bash_history						 KeePassDataBase	 .systemshock2
.bash_logout						 leftoversMX-16	 tcl
.bash_profile						 Linux				 .thumbnails
.bashrc							 .local			 .tkremindrc
.BOINC							 .macromedia		 .wmix.pid
'.BOINC Manager'					 .mozilla			 .Xauthority
.cache							 Notebooks			 .xinitrc
.config							 .nv				 .Xresources
.designer							 .nvidia-settings-rc zzzzzzzzz

Forget alll the above I did not see the file when using ls but it is there. I must be blind.

The file is there , owned by bloodaxe, group bloodaxe, View/Change/Execute by Anyone. Which is why I tried to ask the question about chmod to 440 instead of 640. :'(

I'm of to bed before I make any more mistakes. :'(

Edited by abarbarian, 21 July 2017 - 05:50 PM.

Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#27 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,650 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:55 PM

Look at this line:

[root@longship ~]# chmod 640 gui_rpc_auth.cfg

~ in the root terminal means that you are trying to chmod the file in /root/gui_rpc_auth.cfg instead of /home/longship/gui_rpc_auth.cfg.

~ means the user's home. If you type as that as root, then it means /root/. If you do it as your user, then it means /home/user.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#28 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:03 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 21 July 2017 - 05:55 PM, said:

Look at this line:

[root@longship ~]# chmod 640 gui_rpc_auth.cfg

~ in the root terminal means that you are trying to chmod the file in /root/gui_rpc_auth.cfg instead of /home/longship/gui_rpc_auth.cfg.

~ means the user's home. If you type as that as root, then it means /root/. If you do it as your user, then it means /home/user.

An that is the root of the problem.You have it spot on. I totally missed that I should have cd to my user home when I went root.

Mind you if the wiki did not contain useless crud I would not have made the mistake.

By default, a password is created in /var/lib/boinc/gui_rpc_auth.cfg for connecting to the daemon. To simplify connection of the GUI to the daemon, cd to your home directory, create a link to the file, and change permissions to allow read access to boinc group members.
$ cd ~/
$ ln -s /var/lib/boinc/gui_rpc_auth.cfg gui_rpc_auth.cfg
# chmod 640 gui_rpc_auth.cfg

Here is a screencast demonstrating the fact,
https://www.dropbox....odwhy.mkv?dl=0

When you use the "ln -s" command it creates a smlink that is owned by you the user. As you have already made yourself a member of the boinc group why on earth would you want to fart around as the red text advises.
Also the chmod command does absolutely nothing except waste your time.

So the entry in the wiki could strike out the red text and you would still have the same result.

Thanks for your patience and spotting the mistake.

Oh an I can read the output in me terminal now as I have white/coloured text on a black background again. :breakfast:
Install ARCH

#29 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,650 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:08 AM

View Postabarbarian, on 22 July 2017 - 11:03 AM, said:

Mind you if the wiki did not contain useless crud I would not have made the mistake.

Actually I followed it word for word when I set it up so I dunno.

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#30 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,650 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:11 AM

When you use the "ln -s" command it creates a smlink that is owned by you the user. As you have already made yourself a member of the boinc group why on earth would you want to fart around as the red text advises.

Actually, chmod 640 does quite a bit. First off, it make the file readable and writeable to the user, the group can only read and others cannot read, write or execute. So the command is there to give the file correct permissions to secure it and make it user read and writeable.

#31 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:05 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 22 July 2017 - 11:11 AM, said:

Actually, chmod 640 does quite a bit. First off, it make the file readable and writeable to the user, the group can only read and others cannot read, write or execute. So the command is there to give the file correct permissions to secure it and make it user read and writeable.

Thanks . I get what 640 does as I have read several guides on chmod and chown in the last few days.
I have never had to deal with symlinks before and that is what threw me initially.

Anyways I have boinc up and running and it is behaving itself. So I am happy to be helping out in my small way again.

Seems I have learnt a lot in the process both about meself and linux, just hope I have not upset too many folk along the way.

:breakfast:
Install ARCH

#32 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,650 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:17 AM

Upset? Nah, we are here to help :)

#33 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:18 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 23 July 2017 - 09:17 AM, said:

Upset? Nah, we are here to help :)

Agreed.  Not only was I NOT upset, I was grateful he was the guinea pig for the rest of us.  That fella on the arch forum, however, seemed a little distressed.  Leave it to the barbarian to agitate?!  LOL!

#34 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,650 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:48 AM

Hehe, right :hysterical:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: arch, wiki, boinc, arch wiki

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users