• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,957 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:40 AM

So I recently decided to update my aging system. I was running: i7 4790K with 32gb of Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR3 2400MHZ ram with a Nvidia 970 GTX.

I decided to go with AMD Ryzen this time around and I added liquid cooling with another 8tb hdd. Here is what I got:

ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 X470 Motherboard
https://www.amazon.c...duct/B07CCHP1LD

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler
https://www.amazon.c...uct/B07B428M7F/

Corsair LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 ram
https://www.amazon.c...duct/B07HX3841Z

Western Digital Bare Drives WD Red 8TB
https://www.amazon.c...ct/B07D3MWMNZ/r

CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i v2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
https://www.amazon.c...duct/B019954Y2Q

These will be installed into my current Thermaltake CHASER A71 Full ATX case with my EVGA GTX 970 and various other peripherals.

Posted Image Posted Image

This wasn’t my cleanest build but I am happy. (Yes, the top of the PSU is dusty and I just cleaned it).
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#2 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 07:13 PM

Looks like a great system.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#3 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,957 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 07:23 PM

View Postraymac46, on 03 November 2018 - 07:13 PM, said:

Looks like a great system.

Thanks, I like it a lot.

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#4 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 07:29 PM

Did you have NVME on the old system or did you reuse your SSD?

Edited by raymac46, 04 November 2018 - 08:41 AM.

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,957 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 07:41 PM

View Postraymac46, on 03 November 2018 - 07:29 PM, said:

Did you have MVME on the old system or did you reuse your SSD?

I reused all of my harddrives. I literally didn't have to do anything with the software side of things. I fiddled with the new bios but it was trying to boot archlinux out of the box and that is with 6 harddrives to choose from... It's been a few years since you had to reinstall Linux when you switched motherboards and processors. Usually, it sees everything perfectly. ****, Windows cannot do that..even with WIn 10's autodetection.

#6 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,633 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:25 AM

Neat build. Nice to see that AMD have finally got on top of their cpu heat and power usage problem. :breakfast:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,957 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:36 AM

View Postabarbarian, on 04 November 2018 - 08:25 AM, said:

Neat build. Nice to see that AMD have finally got on top of their cpu heat and power usage problem. :breakfast:

Thanks

#8 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:17 AM

I have thought about my next Linux build and I think I'd go with one of those Ryzen 2 APUs. That's what I did last time - chose an APU and added in a cheap GPU later. They are "only" quad-core but I'm not rendering video or anything like that - not even PC gaming. At present my old Trinity based Piledriver APU is still chugging along and does fine for watching YouTube, surfing the net, office work and blogging. The only reason I added a GPU was that AMD didn't support the older APU graphics as well.
I want to wait until all the BIOS glitches are fixed on the motherboards though. Some of the older mobos didn't support the Ryzen 2 chips without an update.
I could reuse my GPU but if I had a powerful Ryzen CPU I'm sure it would be bottlenecked.
Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,957 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:21 AM

The only Ryzen CPUs with onboard video are the 2200 and 2400 series. Most Ryzen 2 chips do not come with onboard video.

#10 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:21 AM

AMD always confuses me with their numbering. The APUs are 2XXX although based on Ryzen 1 architecture. I'm sure they'll get around to an upgrade to Ryzen 2 eventually.
Ryzen 5 2400G would suit me I think.

Edited by raymac46, 04 November 2018 - 11:25 AM.

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,957 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 08:48 PM

I moved the radiator on my liquid cooler to the back of the case and restored the top 240mm fan. This is my main rig's specs:

Cerberus

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler
ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 X470 Motherboard
CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i v2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 watt GS 80+ GOLD Fully Modular Power Supply
Corsair LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 ram

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC Gaming ACX 2.0+ Cooling Graphics Card
Samsung - SF350 Series 2" LED FHD FreeSync Monitor @ 1920x1080
HP Z Display Z30i 30-inch IPS LED Backlit Monitor @ 2560x1600
HP 27es 27" IPS LED HD Monitor @ 1920x1080
HP LA2306x 23" LCD Monitor @ 1920x1080
Dell Ultra HD 4k Monitor P2715Q 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor @ 3840x2160

Custom DZ60 60% mechanical keyboard with cherry blue switches and cherry stablizers
Anker Ergonomic Optical USB Wired Vertical Mouse 1000/1600 DPI, 5 Buttons CE100
Logitech Speaker System Z323 with Subwoofer
Logitech H390 ClearChat Comfort/USB Headset with mic
Thermaltake CHASER A71 E-ATX Full Tower Window Gaming Computer Chassis

2x 1TB WD Caviar Black
2TB WD Green
3TB Seagate Barracuda
1.5TB Seagate FreeAgent
250GB Samsung 850 EVO-Series SSD -- / and /home
8TB WD Red
5TB Seagate Expansion

CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD 1500VA 900W AVR UPS

ArchLinux 64 Core -- i3

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   mhbell

mhbell

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 11:47 PM

Nice Build. ought to make a great gaming machine. I don't need anything with that much power. The onboard graphics is all I need. Thats why I choose the Rysen 2200G cpu with vesa graphics. Don't need a video card. going to order the stuff tonight, taking advantage of the sale which ends tomorrow.Mel

Edited by mhbell, 11 November 2018 - 11:49 PM.

Registered Linux User #239772
Mint 18.1 Cinnimon, MX-16, Siduction LXQT, Debian Stretch, and Other Linux Distro's
https://pctechman.wordpress.com/

#13 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,957 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 06:00 AM

View Postmhbell, on 11 November 2018 - 11:47 PM, said:

Nice Build. ought to make a great gaming machine. I don't need anything with that much power. The onboard graphics is all I need. Thats why I choose the Rysen 2200G cpu with vesa graphics. Don't need a video card. going to order the stuff tonight, taking advantage of the sale which ends tomorrow.Mel

Well I do not game very much but I need the power for my workflow.. B)

I already had the video card.

#14 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 07:10 PM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 12 November 2018 - 06:00 AM, said:

Have you checked the power consumption? I'd be surprised if you come anywhere near even half the capacity of your PS. I have a Corsair 750i which has inbuilt monitoring via Corsair Link software. After some solid gaming sessions I checked it and peak was about 250W (1/3 of capacity). My graphics card is same as yours but there are several less HDs.
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#15 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,957 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 07:15 PM

View Postsunrat, on 13 November 2018 - 07:10 PM, said:

View Postsecuritybreach, on 12 November 2018 - 06:00 AM, said:

Have you checked the power consumption? I'd be surprised if you come anywhere near even half the capacity of your PS. I have a Corsair 750i which has inbuilt monitoring via Corsair Link software. After some solid gaming sessions I checked it and peak was about 250W (1/3 of capacity). My graphics card is same as yours but there are several less HDs.

Oh I know that my PSU is an overkill but I figured why not go big? After all, I do have 8 harddrives and six monitors attached to this computer along with some usb hubs with various peripherals attached. This way, I will never have to worry about power consumption.

I just checked my UPS and it shows the following with this rig, modem, router and 4 of the monitors connected. All values are Output:

118 V
60 Hz
0.225 kw
25% of capactity
19 minutes battery before automatic shutdown (using pwrstatd to cleanly shutdown with email notifications).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users