Installing an OFFLINE WinXP computer

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

I just needed to install an OFFLINE WinXP Home Retail on an old but fast (for the day) P4 computer.

The issue comes in when you have an AMD processor and have to install SP3. I got the instructions on another computer on how to remedy the problem after the fact from a Microsoft KB since XP is defunct. The installation already had SP2 so I only needed to install SP3.

This is the KB I looked up:

Error message after you upgrade a computer that uses a processor other than an Intel processor to Windows XP Service Pack 2 or to Windows XP Service Pack 3: "STOP: 0x0000007E"

And I thought, maybe I can waylay this issue by editing the Registry like they say in Method 1:

Method 1

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

To work around this issue, follow these steps:

• Restart your computer in safe mode.

For more information about safe mode in Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    315222 A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP

• Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

• Locate and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Intelppm

• In the right pane, right-click the Start entry, and then click Modify.

• In the Value data box, type 4, and then click OK.

• Exit Registry Editor.

• Restart your computer.

But in my case, I had to add the Key and the Value.

I added the Key which was not there and the Value. Then installed SP3. Totally waylaid the issue and booted fine.

Hope it helps someone who, like me, didn't have that KB executable. Apparently all it does is disables Intelppm.

Edited by LilBambi