13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:01 PM

Looking at the HDMI to DVI thread got me thinking.

I rent a Cisco RNG150 HD box from Comcast.  It has one HDMI output going into one HDTV.  I have another HDTV (with HDMI input) in a separate spare room/office but I don't want to rent another box for the 2-4 hours a week I watch it.

I have seen the equipment I think I need - a HDMI splitter and about 20 feet of HDMI cable.

Would this work?
The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error. - HAL-9000

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it.  - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Posted Image
Jim

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,243 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:52 AM

I found this: http://forums.xfinit...io/td-p/1776796
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:05 PM

View PostWebb, on 24 May 2016 - 10:01 PM, said:

Looking at the HDMI to DVI thread got me thinking.

I rent a Cisco RNG150 HD box from Comcast.  It has one HDMI output going into one HDTV.  I have another HDTV (with HDMI input) in a separate spare room/office but I don't want to rent another box for the 2-4 hours a week I watch it.

I have seen the equipment I think I need - a HDMI splitter and about 20 feet of HDMI cable.

Would this work?
As security's link indicates, HDMI has DRM built in and apparently your device uses it to disable audio if you attempt to use a splitter.  But what you can do is to run a cable to the second device and swap cables.  Using a switch, instead of a splitter might also work.  That way you still only have one device at a time connected.

Edited by lewmur, 25 May 2016 - 03:09 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:56 PM

Thanks for your help.

I'm going to put this idea on the back burner for now because it's starting to look like more trouble than it's worth for 2-4 hours viewing a week.
The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error. - HAL-9000

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it.  - George Hanson, 1969

Posted Image
Jim

#5 OFFLINE   Pete!

Pete!

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:29 PM

Not exactly what you're asking but...
Do either of your TVs have provisions for a "component",  Pr Pa Y video and L R audio?
If the cable run is reasonable, run one set, on the HDMI input, and the other on the component input.

BTW: I don't know if Comcast has anything similar, but Cablevision/Optimum has an "Optimum App" that lets me use my computer as a limited remote. Since I have a computer in the same room as the 2nd TV, I don't have to go to the "other room" to turn on the cable box, or change channels.

#6 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,243 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:12 PM

I found a cheap solution: 3-Port HDMI Switch

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#7 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:26 PM

That looks like the opposite of what I want.

Posted Image
Jim

#8 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,243 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:46 PM

View PostWebb, on 25 May 2016 - 06:26 PM, said:

That looks like the opposite of what I want.

How so? That will take care of splitting the connection. All you need is an hdmi cable that can run from the room with the box in it to the other room. It's not wireless but it will work versus just using a cable alone.

#9 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:02 PM

As designed and described it's the opposite of what I want - 3 inputs to one output.  I want one output to 2 inputs.

I know that these things can be reversed sometimes but I wouldn't try it unless it had a mechanical switch.

Posted Image
Jim

#10 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,243 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:17 PM

Here ya go:

Posted Image

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00ZP9MPGS/

#11 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,243 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:24 PM

The reviews say that: "The Tendak splitter also passes audio fine."

#12 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:02 PM

That one looks like it will work.

Since it's Amazon I can always send it back if it doesn't pass the audio test.

Thanks.

Posted Image
Jim

#13 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,243 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:18 PM

View PostWebb, on 25 May 2016 - 10:02 PM, said:

That one looks like it will work.

Since it's Amazon I can always send it back if it doesn't pass the audio test.

Thanks.

Not a problem :thumbsup:

#14 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,504 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:36 AM

Please keep us posted as to whether this works for you.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users