Steam on Wine store and community won't load.

Dr. J

A quick update before I get to the problem, I am now running the Xfce version of siduction on my main system. I have been now for a few weeks, and Linux Steam and everything else I need works beautifully.

Recently, I've been having the urge to play a couple of games only available for windows (mainly Skyrim, which in ludicrously cheap at the moment), and installed the Windows version of steam using wine. Pretty much everything works smoothly (I played Cloney for a while). However, when I try to go to the Steam store or community, I get a blank page and the 'loading' symbol. I came across a fix (on the Arch Wiki), that mentioned installing ms fonts. I already had these on the actual system, and installing them with winetricks changed nothing. Any ides?

Ps. I'll probably get skyrim while the sale's still on, It's under €10 right now, so there's minimal loss involved if it doesn't work.

A quick update before I get to the problem, I am now running the Xfce version of siduction on my main system. I have been now for a few weeks, and Linux Steam and everything else I need works beautifully.

Recently, I've been having the urge to play a couple of games only available for windows (mainly Skyrim, which in ludicrously cheap at the moment), and installed the Windows version of steam using wine. Pretty much everything works smoothly (I played Cloney for a while). However, when I try to go to the Steam store or community, I get a blank page and the 'loading' symbol. I came across a fix (on the Arch Wiki), that mentioned installing ms fonts. I already had these on the actual system, and installing them with winetricks changed nothing. Any ides?

Ps. I'll probably get skyrim while the sale's still on, It's under €10 right now, so there's minimal loss involved if it doesn't work.

Personally, I won't use Wine so I can't help you with that. However, I can suggest that instead of Wine, you try VirtualBox. That keeps Windows isolated from your Linux system and, IMO, is much more to be compatible with Windows apps.

can suggest that instead of Wine, you try VirtualBox. That keeps Windows isolated from your Linux system and, IMO, is much more to be compatible with Windows apps.

Not a bad Idea for general use (I had MS office in a Win XP virtual machine before I got used to Libreoffice), but I tried VirtualBox for gaming before, and it doesn't work very well. As far as I know, 'graphics card virtualisation' isn't supported yet. On top of that, games supported on XP are becoming scarce, and Windows versions 8 onwards tend to hog all of your system resources (I have a bit of experience here -- my mother runs 8.1, and I gave 10 a quick try myself when it was still free.)