DriveImage XML and Gparted

daveydoom

Anyone here have any experience with either of these? I've used them a few times with great success but now I have a problem that I think may be related to one of them.I just imaged a laptop that was dual booting Win2k and Win98 (notice how I said "was") :hysterical: . Ever since I imaged it I can no longer boot into Win98. Win2k boots fine but when you select Win98 an error message is displayed stating that there's an unmountable boot device.The boot.ini file is fine and the hard drive is fine since Win2k works so I'm assuming that when I used Gparted to shrink the partition from one large partition into two smaller partitions I must have borked the Win98 system. It's either that or DriveImage XML borked it when imaging (although that's doubtful).Any thoughts?Thanks, Dave

Win98 and W2K on the same partition?
Yes. Perhaps Gparted plays nicely with NTFS drives but not so nicely with FAT32 drives? Edited by daveydoom

I use DI XML to backup and restore periodically with no problem both NTFS and FAT32 partitions.I also have W98 and W2K on a single partition drive and found that that only works if the drive is FAT32 not NTFS. W2K was added after W98 was on the drive so that may play a role. In my boot.ini all I have for W98 is: C:\=Windows 98SEHow big is the hd OS partition? I recall something in the back of my mind that the IO.SYS has to be located in the very front of the drive but I can't confirm that.

Edited by EdP

Can you post the boot.ini file content here?
Later tonight, yes.
I'm assuming Win2k and Win98 is still on the same partition, the first primary partition.
Yes
In my boot.ini all I have for W98 is: C:\=Windows 98SE
This one just says C:\=Windows
How big is the hd OS partition? I recall something in the back of my mind that the IO.SYS has to be located in the very front of the drive but I can't confirm that.
The O/S partition is 18.5 Gig (rounded) and the second partition is 18.6 Gig (rounded). The O/S partition is slightly smaller than the second partition.

You have IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS on the drive?
Not sure, I'll have to check later tonight. I'm at work right now. Edited by daveydoom

You have IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS on the drive?
Yes they are both there.Here's a copy of the Boot.ini file:
[boot loader]timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetectC:\="Microsoft Windows"

I'm using that laptop right now in Win2k.

No dice. I know it always did say Microsoft Windows to begin with because that was always the choice.Could the IO.SYS file and/or the MSDOS.SYS file have become corrupted?

Ok, I made something happen. Not sure if it's good or bad though :thumbsdown: .While booting from my Win98 boot CD, at the DOS prompt I typed sys c: (saw it on a website while searching for info...what did I have to lose?).Now the machine boots into Win98 (Yeaa!!!) however, it boots straight into Win98. The option to choose Win2k is no longer available (D'oh!!!).Hehe....what now? This is all new to me.

Edited by daveydoom

I know it always did say Microsoft Windows to begin with because that was always the choice.
It doesn't matter what is between the quotation marks, but that which goes before the =. C:\Windows is a more definitive way to direct the the W2k bootloader to look at the Windows folder.
Could the IO.SYS file and/or the MSDOS.SYS file have become corrupted?
Probably. The way to resolve that is to boot from a Win98 boot disk and do a 'sys c:' at the command prompt.

The way to resolve that is to boot from a Win98 boot disk and do a 'sys c:' at the command prompt.
:thumbsdown: Too funny. We must have been posting at the same time. I'm still stuck without two boot options though :thumbsup: . The contents of the boot.ini file are still correct though.

The ERD utility's only drawback is that it requires access to a 3.5" floppy disk driveeven if all you want to do is back up the registry files to the \regback directory. For laptop or notebook users, this requirement can be a bit of a handicap.
Problem.

No, what you should use is the Recovery Console. Boot from your Win2k CD:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/229716At the command prompt run 'fixboot c:'

FIXBOOTfixboot drive name:Use this command (where drive name is the drive letter where the boot sector will be written) to write the new Windows boot sector code on the boot partition. This command fixes problems where the Windows boot sector is corrupted. The Emergency Repair process also fixes the boot sector. This command overrides the default of writing to the system boot partition.
Edited by b2cm

As soon as I use the FIXBOOT command I get the dual boot options again and Win2k works :thumbsup: but I'm right back to the same error if I choose Win98:"Invalid system disk" :thumbsdown: I can't win for losing here.

I'm off to bed but I wanted to leave one last message tonight:When I open my bootsect.dos file it appears to be corrupt. Along with a bunch of garbage, it says:Invalid system diskReplace the disk, and then press and keyBoy, does that sound familiar? That's the message I get when I choose Win98 from the boot menu.Can someone with a dual boot check their bootsect.dos file to see what the contents are? The file is found at the root of the C:\ drive. Perhaps I'll have to create a new file, if I can find out what is supposed to be contained in the file :thumbsdown: .Thanks.

I just started installing Win2K on my spare Win98 test machine before I left for work this morning so when I go at lunch I'll have my own dual boot machine. I can then check the bootsect.dos file on that machine :thumbsup: .I'm crossing my fingers that this is the problem. I love learning new things :hysterical: .

When I open my bootsect.dos file it appears to be corrupt.
Try this:C:\bootsect.dos="Microsoft Windows"
I just started installing Win2K on my spare Win98 test machine before I left for work this morning so when I go at lunch I'll have my own dual boot machine. I can then check the bootsect.dos file on that machine.
This file is machine-specific so you cannot just copy the bootsect.dos of one rig to another. In case you got a bad bootsect.dos file, you can recreate one using this:http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm Edited by b2cm

There is another option, try using GRUB4DOS to boot your OSs. See http://grub4dos.sourceforge.net/wiki/index...ub4dos_tutorialBut initially just try the GRLDR. Copy it and the menu.lst to the C:\ root then in your boot.ini add: C:\grldr="Start GRUB ldr"If it loads then we can modify the menu.lst to boot Win 98.BTW You're a jinx. After I posted yesterday I lost my dual boot capabilities on my W2K/W98 machine. All I could get to come up was the Diagnostic partition.

Edited by EdP

There is another option, try using GRUB4DOS to boot your OSs. See http://grub4dos.sourceforge.net/wiki/index...ub4dos_tutorialBut initially just try the GRLDR. Copy it and the menu.lst to the C:\ root then in your boot.ini add: C:\grldr="Start GRUB ldr"If it loads then we can modify the menu.lst to boot Win 98.
I'll give that a whirl after I edit the boot.ini file as per b2cm B) .
BTW You're a jinx. After I posted yesterday I lost my dual boot capabilities on my W2K/W98 machine. All I could get to come up was the Diagnostic partition.
I've been called worse :thumbsup: :hysterical: .