Command For A Warm Reboot?

benhenry

Howdy All,I'm trying to keep our family's Win98 IE 5.5 sp2 alive...The command "RUNDLL32.EXE SHELL32.DLL,SHExitWindowsEx 2" works great from a batch file to restart a win9x computer from POST (cold reboot).But, does anyone know a similar command that can be run from a batch or script for a warm reboot? (That would function like clicking Start>Shutdown>Restart while holding down the shift key.)Thanks if you can help,

Thank you, Fran and Perry...Fran: The link you pointed me to was an excellent summary of the reboot parameters. Thank you! But unfortunately, none of the combinations yield a warm reboot. All of the reboot options initiate a reboot from POST (cold).Perry: Thank you for the link... Karen is one of my favorite folks on the web! But her ptStopper yields the same results as the Rundll commands.I will keep trying... :rolleyes:

Guest LilBambi

Darn, was hoping it would be the easy answer ...OK, let's see if any of these will have your answer :rolleyes:Ron van der Woude's Scripting Pages: Batch Files for DOS, Windows - Reboot and ShutdownRestart and Restart (Warm Boot)HowToWin.txt file - Restart/Reboot Options are in there (large file)Excerpt from the HowToWin.txt

(Win9.x/NT/W2K): Click on Start, Shutdown, Shutdown the computer. Wait for the message "It is now safe to turn off your computer". Windows is "flushing the cache" -- writing information savedin RAM to the fixed disk, updating configuration files, and soon, so you must wait until all of these things are finished beforeremoving power from the system.  Win 98 2nd Edition has had along-standing bug:  it doesn't shut down properly and "hangs"at the "Wait while Windows is shutting down" screen.  There isa patch that can be / should be applied and a diagnostic sequenceat the Microsoft web site (www.microsoft.com) that may or maynot fix the problem.Sometimes Win9.x /NT/W2K will "hang" at the "wait" screen andwill not give the message that it is safe to shutdown.  In sucha case, there is probably one program that is having problems. You may wait for a few minutes, press CTRL-ALT-DEL to see ifa process is not responding, then attempt to close it.  Often,you'll see that RUNDLL or MSGSVR is hanging.  If you can't killthese tasks, then wait a few more minutes, then remove power fromthe system, wait 20 seconds, then restart the system and attemptanother shutdown.  If this persists, contact your vendor or seeMicrosoft's web site for technical information.Whenever you turn off the system, it is safest to wait at least20 seconds before turning the machine on again.
It also appears from reading the different sites above that each reboot's (warm boot) mileage will vary upon the situation and current Windows State at the time of reboot with Win9x.Maybe some of this will help answer your question.

Darn, was hoping it would be the easy answer ...
It seems for me there is never any easy answer...But thank you very much, Fran.I guess I will have to get a compiler and learn enough C++ to make the calls from an executable instead of a batch or script.I thank you again, though. May I call you Bambi? ;) I know first hand that searching for an elusive command for a warm reboot is lots of work.Just for general info... None of the third party programs I've tried reliably provide a warm reboot either. In fact, I think many of them just package the rundll commands in a GUI and pretend to be doing something that "Windows" doesn't. Sigh.

Guest ThunderRiver

Just wondering if anyone tried to copy the shutdown.exe from Windows Xp onto Winodws 98, and see if Windows 98 can shutdown with the following commandshutdown /s /t 3

SUCCESS! Oh frabjous day! Calloo, Callay!The command "%windir%\RUNDLL.EXE user.exe,exitwindowsexec" will now achieve a warm reboot from a batch file and/or from a script on our computer. ;) (Batting 5 for 5 so far...) The problem seems to have been Compaq's proprietary Power Management. ;) Since this is our family computer, and almost every one of our family members understands the need for energy conservation... the "Sleep" function is now permanently disabled. We will simply shutdown when the computer is not required. And my amateur batchfiles and scripts that occassionally require a warm reboot are now working flawlessly! (uh... well... at least that problem is solved.)Thank you all for helping me work through this... sincerely, Ben