LXDE Control Center

Hedon James

Hey guys,

I've been working on another LXDE/Lubuntu respin for 16.04 LTS and I'd like to put an all-in-one "Control Center" in the distro. Previously, I've used Lubuntu Control Center, but that involves switching Lubuntu repos back to Oneiric (11.10) just to get it, and it isn't as functional anymore. (although that may be attributable to the alpha nature of Lubuntu 16.04 base).

I'd really like to use the LXDE Control Center that's in the Arch Repos (AUR). Information, screenshots, compile instructions for Arch, etc... found here:

http://www.archlinux...-archlinux.html

FYI, the Arch link for files no longer works (not found), but here's link to the GIT site:

https://github.com/gilir/LXAdmin

As an Ubuntu user, I'm only slightly familiar with compiling from source, and have done it only a few times with ./configure && make && install procedures. The Arch source is not in a format I'm used to seeing, but source is source isn't it? As a frame of reference, here is what I usually do with Ubuntu/Debian:

http://linuxpoison.b...rom-source.html

Do any of you Arch users on this forum also speak Debian? Any suggestions on how to compile the Arch source into a Deb package? Or a link to download this package in Deb format? I've scoured the internet for an LXDE control center GUI and I've located the Arch package; the Lubuntu Control Center (no longer preferred, but a fallback option); the PCLOS lxdecc (not too fond of, plus the alien conversion from rpm didn't work); and the MakuluLinux LXDE Control Center (YAD?). Makulu uses Deb packages, but I can't find anything other than a YouTube video from Makulu developer in February 2015 indicating an early version.

I'd really prefer the Makulu or Arch versions of LXDE Control Center. Anyone care to take a crack at interpreting Arch instructions into Debian? Thanks in advance for any bilinguals who can shed light on how to convert this, or conversely, why it cannot be done!

Jim

Edited by Hedon James

securitybreach

Well I am on the road heading home from visiting my family and will not be not home till late tonight but if you do not find something by tomorrow, I will see what I can dig up. I am on a netbook using my phone as a hotspot so I am very limited ;)

Much appreciated SB. It's not an emergency...just something I'm trying to learn on the side...but it would be nice to be pulled from outta the rabbit hole and find some bread crumbs. LOL!

securitybreach

Well to begin with, the source you speak of is not arch specific as the source always links to the upstream developer versions. For instance if you click the sources line (near the bottom of the summary) on this package, you will see that it points to http://downloads.sourceforge.net/opencvlibrary/opencv-unix/3.1.0/opencv-3.1.0.zip

Normally you would simply download the zip and extract it. Then run your normal compile commands (./configure && make && make install) to install it from source. If the AUR link still existed, this is how it would be done on Debian or any other distro (provided the deps were installed).

Now if you wanted to create a .deb package from the source, you would follow the steps here: https://wiki.debian.org/HowToPackageForDebian#A.27.27Debianization.27.27

Basically if you could find the old AUR link (I just tried with waybackmachine but it didn't have any page archives) with the source line, we could snag that source and compile it under debian.

I know that doesn't help the original problem but perhaps it helps to clarify the sources.

Not really knowing much about Arch, I think I understand what you're saying, and the debian link to compile source with configure, make, install/checkinstall is the procedure I'm familiar with. I also did a little more research into Github and if I understand correctly, Github is the CODE to be compiled into SOURCE packages, which can then be compiled into software packages for various distros.

Best I can tell (and it's only a semi-educated guess based on perusing files), LX-Admin is a Python program, so maybe I could install Eclipse or another IDE, learn how to use it, compile LX-Admin and pray there aren't any glitches. Seems like an awful lot to ask for, and that rabbit hole looks like a journey to the center of the earth. I'll keep looking...

Thanks SB!

securitybreach

Well most of the time, the source is simply that..a source archive (zip, tar, xz, etc.) which can be extracted and compiled on any distro (as long as you have the deps). This one just so happens to be a github repository which is different from a source archive like you mentioned above.

securitybreach

If you look at one of the AUR PKGBUILD files, you will see that most of them simply compile the source into an archlinux package or run a script to create an installable package. The sources and the scripts are from upstream and are not archlinux specific at all. These are vanilla source archives which can be extracted and built on any distro.

Yeah, the Arch process looked somewhat similar to the Debian/Ubuntu process, but using different toolsets: Arch's "makepkg" and "pacman" vs. Debians "make" and "makeinstall" or "checkinstall". On one hand, I'm disappointed it didn't work and it couldn't be attributed to something I can correct. On the other hand, learned something new that may prove useful in the future. Thanks for taking a look for me!

• Like 1

securitybreach

Well the tools each distro uses to to build packages for each is different from the process of simply building a package from source. Think of it as the manual installation versus a automated one (distro specific package installed via each's package manager). Doing the ./configure && make && make install process is just manually configuring the source and placing the excutable in the correct locations (/usr/bin /usr/local/bin, etc.)

Stumbled onto something called YAD, which is basically "zenity on steroids". I've never really understood Zenity and Bash Scripting, other than to know that Zenity provides a GUI interface for some scripts I have appropriated for various functions. I saw some YAD guis, started down another rabbit hole (worm hole?!) and discovered that Chromixium used a YAD script to create the Control Panel GUI in Chromixium. So I found that script, copied it over, and started changing things to create my own All-In-One (AIO) Control Center to bring all the disparate settings into a single location.

Here's what I've got so far, with very minimal effort:

PqeTEGj.jpg

Also, looks like YAD can created tabbed panes. I want to explore that and see if I can't place some of these icons in "tabbed groups", similar to a real GUI with section dividers.

• Like 1