Powerbooks and Airport...

BrianT1701

I am trying to get rid of my PC, and I am going to buy a Powerbook as it is all I really need, and I don't want to get a PC laptop. I've wanted an apple for the longest time, and now that time has come.My question is, the airport extreme card should be all I need so that I can surf the net with my linksys wireless router, correct? It is 802.11g, just like the airport card. But, I see apple offers an airport station, and I shouldn't need that, correct?Thanks in advace...

I've got an iBook with an Airport Extreme Card at home that connects to my DSL connection via a Linksys Broadband B Router (BEFW11S4), so I'm using 802.11b, not 11g. It works quite nicely with one exception. I can't seem to get WPA encryption to work with the SSID broadcast turned off. If I turn on the SSID broadcast, WPA works great.

BrianT1701 :Congrats on the plans to get a PowerBook as your primary system! Out of curiosity what model are you looking at? 12, 15, or 17 inchAs bjf123 pointed out, he’s been having some problems with his AP Extreme and a Linksys Router. :lol: WPA ProblemI’ll also mention, as I said in the WPA Problem thread: some of the advanced settings of wireless Linksys Routers require a Windows PC running IE to configure. I’m sorry that I can’t find the article that I read that little bit of information, but I can tell you that I’ve run into that problem with my Linksys BEFW11S4 wired / wireless router (802.11B).Please don’t take this the wrong way… But if you are going to make such an investment and get a PowerBook, it may be worth spending a little extra and getting Apple’s Airport Extreme base station. No other brand can rival the tight integration that exists between the hardware and the AP Extreme base station.

I believe that WPA allows you you password out the wireless connection? I could be wrong.If that is what it is I certainly don't really need that where I live, there are hardly any people around me, so steal my connection.Considering I just bought the linksys router, and since I won't use WPA I think it will work with the powerbook. I think the airport base station only has one wired out, and I need atleast 3, as I have 3 wired computers hooked up to the lynksys router.

WPA is the new wireless security setting, similar to WEP.

If that is what it is I certainly don't really need that where I live, there are hardly any people around me, so steal my connection.Considering I just bought the linksys router, and since I won't use WPA I think it will work with the powerbook.  I think the airport base station only has one wired out, and I need atleast 3, as I have 3 wired computers hooked up to the lynksys router.
That's cool. Didn't know all the details. :thumbsup:When you do get the system you will have to post a mini-review with pics.