WINXP PRO/ IE/ MSN SERVER

66nicks

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a OS or a software Question.. but I figure its moer suitable here.I am trying my best to completely remove, or at least disable all use of internet explorer on my system (WinXP Pro) I have disabled access to the internet through my firewall to IE, I have tried registry commands (disallowRun) to stop windows from running background proccess instances of IE, but no matter how many times I end process in the task manager there are always two instances running. I have given in to the fact that XP will ALWAYS have those running "IN CASE" IE wants to open it can do it really fast.. (stupid). Now I have even used the "Set Program Access" menu in the start menu to disable access to IE. So this seems to cure as much of that problem as I can possibly have cured. If anyone knows how to stop XP from running background instances of IE that would be appreciated. The next part is that I now cannot connect to the MSN MSNGR server (through messenger or I am now using Trillian 3.0) without having IE enabled it seems. Does anyone know a way around this, I use Mozilla Firefox V1.0 for browsing, and there must be some way to have messenger connect to the SN server through some way other than IE.. right? (P.S D*** Bill Gates and his love of IE.. to quote someone else.. "In a world without walls or fences, why do we need Windows or Gates?!") ;)

I'm running XP Pro SP1 here and Windows Task Manager doesn't show any Internet Explorer process (IEXPLORE.EXE) until I start it.What is the name of the process you see?Do you still see two instances you uncheck Show processes from all users?

I'm def planning to make a move away from windows to linux or something.. but until I can I have to make do with this crap.. :worthy: I am running SP2 now, and actually since I've done all those things to disable IE I now only have one instance running, and yeah its IEXPLORE.EXEIf I click end process it just pops back up right away. Not Sure if the forum rules allow linking to other sites, but On the Black Viper site (easy to find in a google search) he talks a lot about disabling a lot of useless stuff in XP and he makes mention that windows will always have at least one instance in the background which helps the browser open faster.. which is ok if you a erusing it.. but if you've specifically disabled it in windows why should it remain? Anyway, my real issue is not being able to connect to MSN, any ideas on that?

Guest Paracelsus

I'm running XP Home Edition and SP2. I have no instance of IEXPLORER.EXE running unless I launch the app.Have you tried going into MSCONFIG and seeing what listed in the Start-Up tab? It may be there to launch in the background on start-up.

Edited by Paracelsus

Yeah that was the first thing I tried.. thx tho. when you run the task manager are you looking at applications? B/C it wont List it there, you need to click the processes tab next to that, and I can guarantee that IEXPLORE.EXE will be listed in that list..

Guest Paracelsus

Yep! Looking at Processes. No instance of IEXPLORE there.I'm using FireFox now. IE is not running anywhere on my system unless I manually launch it.I should have figured you'd have looked in MSCONFIG already :thumbsup:

Are you sure you're not confusing explorer.exe with iexplore.exe 66nicks? They are not the same thing. explorer.exe is WINDOWS Explorer NOT Internet Explorer.I, like Paracelsus have no instance of IE running in my Task Manager Processes window. I use Netscape as my browser.

Edited by EdP

James M. Fisher

Neither do I. I have Maxthon running (maxthon.exe), but when I start IE, then iexplore.exe appears in my processes list.

Guest Paracelsus
Are you sure you're not confusing explorer.exe with iexplore.exe 66nicks?  They are not the same thing. explorer.exe is WINDOWS Explorer NOT Internet Explorer.e as my browser.
That's a good point, Ed. I thought of that, also. Many people confuse the two. But since Nicks66 specified IE in his second post:
I am running SP2 now, and actually since I've done all those things to disable IE I now only have one instance running, and yeah its IEXPLORE.EXE
I assumed he knew the difference :thumbsup: Edited by Paracelsus

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a OS or a software Question.. but I figure its moer suitable here.I am trying my best to completely remove, or at least disable all use of internet explorer on my system (WinXP Pro) I have disabled access to the internet through my firewall to IE
Go and have a look here at XPlite details, or the authors website LitePC Technologies it cost's $40.00 :thumbsup:

Yup, I'm sure I'm not confusing EXPLORER with IEXPLORE.EXENext Question, anyone know how to connect to MSN with IE disabled.. for some reason when IE is blocked/disabled messenger or trillian won't connect to the MSN server..

P.S thx for the XPLite link, I've never heard of that.. I'm putting together a new pc piece by piece and I will give that a try once I get it all rigged up.

Guest Paracelsus
for some reason when IE is blocked/disabled messenger or trillian won't connect to the MSN server..
Another oddity!! I haven't used MSN, per se, for a while. But Trill v2.013 Pro connects to MSN just fine for me... even without IE running. Using it now.I've forgotten a lot about the setting options, but will check for this tomorrow morning and report back. Edited by Paracelsus

Pls read the posts earlier before replying.. not to be rude I appreciate the help, but I've already connected to MSN with Trillian.. until I disabled IE and NOW it does not connect.. P.S I used the "Set Program Access And Defaults" menu from the start menu in SP2 to disable IE, but MSN messenger and all the copycats all try to connect using IE.. is there anyway around that?

• 2 weeks later...

This might be a dumb question but it has to be asked.Why put your self thru grief disabling IE in the first place? All the other browsers out there work along side without having to disable anything. If you want to use MS "free" services you can't expect things to go right if you start disabling their software.