This post brought to you by...

quint

Hi all,Have just booted Slackware 9.0, and this was the first order of business...to thank the flock (getting too many to list individually). B) ;) Have many new things to read about / learn, but know this: with the help of the mods and others here, if I can do it...anyone can. :) Will be back soon,

All right Quint! You da man!So, how many distros are you multibooting now? I've lost count. B)

Nice job brother ! I knew you could do it ! Special Slackware Tips will be up in 5 minutes ( the ¨Starter¨ Tips ;) ) !One more happy Slacker . . . . tell us a bit more about the install and first impressions.B) BrunoPS: Peachy it must be 7 or 8 . . . :)

All right Quint! You da man!So, how many distros are you multibooting now? I've lost count.  :D
Thanks, Peachy,Only four distros, I re-did my partitioning scheme, and a few distros had to leave...at least temporarily. :)

Nice job brother ! I knew you could do it ! Special Slackware Tips will be up in 5 minutes ( the ¨Starter¨ Tips :) ) !One more happy Slacker . . . . tell us a bit more about the install and first impressions.:) BrunoPS: Peachy it must be 7 or 8 . . . :)
Thanks, Bruno,Must admit, was very nervous (unlike with Mandrake, RedHat, even SuSE, ELX, ASP, Knoppix, IcePack, etc.), but, armed with your tips, and additional pointers from Peachy, 007, Fran, et.al., (that I've been gleaning all along), it went fairly smooth. :) Even got the scroll to work on my generic mouse - just 20 minutes ago, or so; but that file looks like something a cat dragged in. :) Couldn't figure out how to make all the spaces uniform, but it's working, so guess it's OK. :) One thing thus far really has me stumped: have no idea how to set up my printer. :) On the Slackware Live CD, didn't have to do a thing, and it worked great. Much reading and learning to do. :) Will say this, the overall install was not as scary as their website alludes to...and I learned a few things extra about install in general. This is definitely a distro to keep. Thanks to all. :D

You´re great Quint ! Happy all went smooth and you learned something. What more could you ask for ?:) Bruno

You´re great Quint ! Happy all went smooth and you learned something. What more could you ask for ?:) Bruno
Bruno,You are correct, when I see some of the problems others are having connecting to the Internet, I feel very fortunate, and wish there was something I could do to help; I try to lighten things up with a picture, but wish I could do more. :D Makes my printer problem seem insignificant, by comparison. :)

Guest LilBambi

Way to go Quint!!!Awesome!Linux isn't so scary if you can get past the first one with help! :) And you will get that printer deal licked!BTW: What printer? Maybe someone who has that printer can help, or we can chip in some general stuff ;)RE: Scroll mouse -- if it works, don't knock it and don't worry about it ... there are bigger fish to fry ... like printers LOL!

Way to go Quint!!!Awesome!Linux isn't so scary if you can get past the first one with help!  :) And you will get that printer deal licked!BTW: What printer? Maybe someone who has that printer can help, or we can chip in some general stuff ;)RE: Scroll mouse -- if it works, don't knock it and don't worry about it ... there are bigger fish to fry ... like printers LOL!
Thanks, Fran. Their website IS scary to someone just starting out in Linux, though. :) Have a printer that isn't even made anymore: HP610CL; it's been reliable, but slow. :) What baffles me is that it worked fine with the Slack Live CD. :) But now, if I try to use it, it shoots out an endless stream of blank sheets until I manually shut it off! :) Will research this as best I can, but if you or anyone has any advice, I will be most appreciative. :D Thanks.

Thanks to Bruno and Fran for nudging me on in the right direction. :lol: Got the old printer accepted, configured, and working properly - YAY!! :lol: What I did was some research, found out I had the "Apsfilter" program (thanks, Slackware), ran it as "root": (ran the command:) /usr/share/apsfilter/SETUP, answered a hundred questions, and "voila"...printer works. (Now anyways). <_< Thanks again,

Did apsfilter really work then . . . . gave you one word and you figured out the rest by yourself . . . amazing, truly amazing . . it was really all I could find about Slack-printers . . . . . in a few month time you will be taking my place Quint . . . . apsfilter . . . amazing . . . . I´m speechless !<_< Bruno

Did apsfilter really work then . . . . gave you one word and you figured out the rest by yourself . . . amazing, truly amazing . . it was really all I could find about Slack-printers . . . . . in a few month time you will be taking my place Quint  . . . . apsfilter . . . amazing . .  . . I´m speechless !:lol: Bruno
You are irreplacable <_<, after all, had you not given the info, I would not have found it. :lol: Thanks again.

No, come on. I did not even know what that word ¨apsfilter¨ meant . . . you did it Quint !<_< Bruno

Guest LilBambi

apsfilter! LOL! You did it Quint!Great call Bruno!FYI: Here's some info on HP Printers and Linux. They actually have a Linux page now and a sourceforge page too!Here they are for future reference:http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/linux/index.htmlhttp://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/

hp has developed solutions for printing with hp inkjet printers in Linux. The drivers and support resources for the hp Linux Inkjet Driver Project are available on this site. The hp driver project provides printing support for more than 200 printer models, including, DeskJet, OfficeJet, Photosmart, Business Inkjet and some LaserJet. The hp Linux Inkjet Driver Project is a add-on to the GNU Ghostscript application. For more information on the interaction between Ghostscript and the hp Inkjet Server (HPIJS), refer to the driver architecture (new interface in V. 1.0). 05/30/03: Release 1.4.1 fixes minor bugs. Read more in the release updates. 05/20/03: Release 1.4 adds Foomatic and CUPs support as default, new products supported, and new updates and fixes. Read more in the release updates.
BTW: I thought it was interesting that version 1.1 is what ships with Slackware and the sourceforge page indicates it is on version 1.4 -- Mandrake is shipping with 1.3.1 and Redhat is shipping with 1.3.You can check it out here:http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/distributi...tionsupport.htm(which is a direct link off the main sourceforge page listed above -- Link under products and distributions supported

apsfilter! LOL! You did it Quint!Great call Bruno!FYI: Here's some info on HP Printers and Linux. They actually have a Linux page now and a sourceforge page too!Here they are for future reference:http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/linux/index.htmlhttp://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/
hp has developed solutions for printing with hp inkjet printers in Linux. The drivers and support resources for the hp Linux Inkjet Driver Project are available on this site. The hp driver project provides printing support for more than 200 printer models, including, DeskJet, OfficeJet, Photosmart, Business Inkjet and some LaserJet. The hp Linux Inkjet Driver Project is a add-on to the GNU Ghostscript application. For more information on the interaction between Ghostscript and the hp Inkjet Server (HPIJS), refer to the driver architecture (new interface in V. 1.0). 05/30/03: Release 1.4.1 fixes minor bugs. Read more in the release updates. 05/20/03: Release 1.4 adds Foomatic and CUPs support as default, new products supported, and new updates and fixes. Read more in the release updates.
BTW: I thought it was interesting that version 1.1 is what ships with Slackware and the sourceforge page indicates it is on version 1.4 -- Mandrake is shipping with 1.3.1 and Redhat is shipping with 1.3.You can check it out here:http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/distributi...tionsupport.htm(which is a direct link off the main sourceforge page listed above -- Link under products and distributions supported
Great links, Fran...thanks. :lol: You've just taught me something important, that I've been doing as a mechanic for thirty years - look for the obvious first! <_< I would have read every single word and punctuation mark on the Slackware site, before I even would have considered HP. Muchos gratias, senora. :lol:

Guest LilBambi

That is so true Quint! I didn't realize HP had those pages either! But I have them saved now because although my printer works great in Linux, you never know when you get one that doesn't! Have known quite a few folks who have had a bear of a time with their printers.But you know me, the resident Googler! LOL! :D :P :P

That is so true Quint! I didn't realize HP had those pages either! But I have them saved now because although my printer works great in Linux, you never know when you get one that doesn't! Have known quite a few folks who have had a bear of a time with their printers.But you know me, the resident Googler! LOL! :P  :P  :D
google.png :P

If there is no Google song yet, we should write it now, then we could sing it all together ! :P :P :P :D Brunoogle

BTW: I thought it was interesting that version 1.1 is what ships with Slackware and the sourceforge page indicates it is on version 1.4 -- Mandrake is shipping with 1.3.1 and Redhat is shipping with 1.3.
You'll notice that they mention 8.1 as the distro revision number for Slackware...1.3.1 is listed here. (the link showing the HPIJS folder in the Slackware 9.0 source area).

Good man Sonic, that's the spirit !!Have fun with Slack, you''ll love it . . . I'm sure.B) Bruno

SonicDragon

Ha! It will be a miricle if i can get it to work! I think i must have burned 30 cds trying to get anything to work on my old pc!But, it's always worth the try!Thanks for the support :)BTW, 27 mins to go!

Edited by SonicDragon

Ha! It will be a miricle if i can get it to work! I think i must have burned 30 cds trying to get anything to work on my old pc!But, it's always worth the try!Thanks for the support :)BTW, 27 mins to go!
I managed to get it to work ( /w help from Bruno and others), I'm sure you will be able to. B) Just read the install directions first; I printed them out, but it's 52 pages. B) Bottom line = Slackware 9.0 is definitely worth the effort you put into it. B)