Conexant PCI ADSL modem

hodgy

*topic was split by Bruno Hi BrunoNo configuration during install, but the sound card is in mcc.Allthough my first thoughts were to getting the modem workingso i can go online in mandrake and not have to keep switching to windows.I have a conexant pci adsl modem and the install disk has linux drivers on it.They are all i386 and mandrake says i'm i686 is that a problem?hodgy

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• hodgy

• georgeg4

• GolfProRM

HodgyGlad the install went well this time, I remember you said that the first time was a straight disaster.Mandrake puts his mixer settings in mute by default, Aumix and Kmix are the ones too look for in the KDE menu under multimedia. Put the volumes up and save the settings. ( Kmix comes first up on your ¨taskbar¨ right-click it and chose ¨show mixer window¨ )This should give you sound.Your modem: the i386 and i686 are both for pentium and AMD processors, however we might need to get new drivers from the net.I´ll have a look for the conexant pci adsl drivers.In the time I´m searching you can get your sound set up and listen to some music. :DB) Bruno

HodgyI found a how-to for Mandrake 9.0 for your modem. But I do not really see that this would work 100%I installed ADSL over pppoa ( ATM ) before, but in the middle of this howto he switches over to pppoe ( Ethernet ) ???? . . . in other words I do not trust this how to, nor some of the scripts ( /etc/ppp/peers/pci and I do miss a few others )Anyway this is the intro to the howto:Conexant/Tigris PCI ADSL Modem on Mandrake 9.0 for PPPoATMThis web page is to help people get this PCI Modem running under Mandrake Linux 9.0 and over PPPoATM. This chipset is used on a number of different cheap brands. The most popular name is AccessRunner. Another is Ebuyer. Mine was MegaSpeed. I brought it from a computer fair for £35. It said "Linux Drivers included" right there on the box. "This should be a breeze" I thought. Little did I know... Here is the link but better stay away there for the moment, it might scare the h*** out of you !I will keep looking for an easy way out, might be a day before I find something reasonable.;) Bruno

BrunoI have just retured from man.mcc lists the modem as an ethernet card.and meandering aboutin quick browser/sys conf/conexant i found the drivers listed. the option was view in file managerand another option which i have forgotton -short term memory loss!- ;) i installed with file manager everything appeared to go ok, but still no action.Is there any way i can remove the ethernet entry?On reflection during install PPPoA was not an option in the internet wizard.I also unchecked the mute on both Aumix & kmix still unable to get a peep out of anything.Tryed a music cd no luck cd-player did not recognise its presence allthough mcc lists my soundcard-FM801 ;) Hodgy

HodgyAll the stuff I read about this modem is negative, lots of people point to the how-to I mentioned above, but nobody reports anything positive.Before I had this 4 ports modem/router I´ve got now, I had a usb adsl modem, brandnew model and not supported by Linux at the time, it took me a full week to get the darn thing to work under pppoa, even with my *small* knowledge of Linux.You, with no prior knowledge on your side, will have a hard time getting this thing to work.See This post !I dumped my USB modem, just because I did not want to go through the whole trouble again, each time I installed a new distro. ( debian, slackware, vectorlinux and each time a new version of mandrake )A good NIC ( ethernet card ) and an external ethernet router/modem is the best advice I can give you. ( is set up during install and you´re on-line as you reboot )However: If you say let´s have a try with this one . . O.K. I´ll be there . . but let´s take our time to do step by step . . . . and absolute no guaranties. Reading what´s available on the net it looks even inpossible. :(Your sound I will handle in my next post.;) Bruno

BrunoI also found that site-installing conexant- is it as difficult as it looks?I think i have all the relevant driver files its just doing it the hard wayfrom a console? I am willing to try (fool) if you are willing to attempt it too.Hodgy

O.K. Hodgy lets try it ! We start at the beginning:

AssumptionsMy installation process involves downgrading ppp from Mandrakes ppp 2.4.1 to ppp 2.4.0 b2 may stop other devices working that rely on ppp. Notably Alcatel Speedtouch. There are probably ways around this. Read on! Prior to installing the PCI modem I was connecting via the Alcatel Speedtouch USB Modem. Installing this *may* have installed other packages to make my Mandrake installation more ATM aware. I doubt it, but you never know.... You connect to your ISP using (RFC2384)PPPoATM with VcMUX Encapsulation. If you want to know what it means, go look it up ;) If you use PPPoE or anything else this page is not for you. But there are plenty of other resources.
This part looks O.K.
PrequisitesYou will need the modem and the Linux drivers. If You got a real cheap one, you may not have Linux drivers. In which case you can get them from The Mad House. You should have the following list of files either on a directory of the installation CD or downloaded (and unzipped) from the above link... Tigris_K2.2.16_Driver.zipgcc-c++-2.96-85.i386.rpmlibstdc++-devel-2.96-85.i386.rpmTigris_K2.4.3_Driver.zipgcc-g77-2.96-85.i386.rpmlinuxconf-1.24r2-10.i386.rpmatm-0.78-1-2.i386.rpmgcc-objc-2.96-85.i386.rpmpppd-2.4.0.tar.gzcpp-2.96-85.i386.rpmkernel-atm-ppp-2.4.3-12.tar.gzrp-pppoe-3.0-1.i386.rpmdevfsd-2.4.3-12.i386.rpmkernel-doc-2.4.3-12.i386.rpmgcc-2.96-85.i386.rpmlibstdc++-2.96-85.i386.rpm
So what stuff is already installed ? Open a console and typewhich pppdthen pppd --versionFor this for the pppd version, the gcc, the libstdc, devfsd, and tell me what the drivers are.I need version numbers and know what is installed already.;) Bruno

HodgyIn the how-to is this line: I have already compiled the driver and you can download it right here and save it to /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/drivers/net/ The ¨here¨ is in blue, get that compiled driver will you ? and copy it ( with a floppy or whatever )in your /home for the moment and report back to me !;) Bruno

BrunoI got this resultNo pppd in(/usr/x11r6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/home/ken/bin)(ken@localhost ken)$I have not worked yet worked out how to copy from mdk and paste to win. So its not installed i presume.Something else as Kde was loading i was getting some sounds, but about10 seconds after loading finished a error box popped up Fatal error sound.cpu overload. not normal i expect ;) Hodgy

We will have to install pppd from your CD, no problem !Your kernel supports ATM so that´s OKYou have to get that compiled driver I wrote about in my previous post !And we´l have to get the pppoe xxx version from your CD.That would be a start, there is a few more things but we´ll see about that later. First download that compiled driver.;) Bruno*We will look for the sound problem later.

OK hodgyBoot up in Mandrake and get that file from your floppy to your /home/ken/ADSL ( make a dir. ADSL where we will put all stuff we download and keep it there as backup )Then open a concole and typesu( root-password )cp /home/ken/ADSL/xxxxxxx /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/net/ ( where xxxxx is the name of the thing you placed in ADSL ) ( there are spaces only between ¨cp¨ and ¨/home¨ and between ¨xxxx¨ and ¨/lib¨ )Type carefully ! No mistakes.Report back to me if all went well ;) bruno

BrunoI made a new directory-adsl- copied the file from the floppy,by the way that file wasn't compressedat all? if so i did not unpack it. what does gz.mean after the file name?any way failure - no file or directory found-another question after typing su in the console i am not sure what you mean by putting (root-password) next, do i type su <enter> password <enter> then the line cp..........said i was a bit slow...Hodgy ;)

HodgyFirst .gz means the file is compressed ! right-click it and tell it to unpack unzip or whatever.You will get a file called : CnxADSL.oThen try againsu ( enter --> will ask you for your root password, type it and hit enter again. The prompt will change mentioning ¨root¨ in it )Then :cp /home/ken/ADSL/CnxADSL.o /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/net/If NO message comes return all went well !Just browse to ¨/lib/modules/2.4.21-13mdk/kernel/drivers/net/¨ and you will see ¨CnxADSL.o¨ will be there.Try again.;) Bruno

BrunoNo luck, I keep getting the message <no file or directory found> I cant understand it , i created the directory adsl unpacked the file cnadsl to it. so i must be doing something wrong in the console.when i open a console it allredy contains [ken@localhost ken]$ I type su <enter> itreturns [root@localhost ken]# I have tried the line you gave me it returns no file or directory foundif after [root@localhost ken]# i type my password it returns bash: errorCan you see anything there Bruno?Hodgy ;) i think it's bedtime soon, carry on tomorrow-whoops- today well later anywaythanks for your efforts BrunoHodgy

Hodgy:Study on this and we will continue tomorrow:

[ken@localhost ken]$ I type su <enter> itreturns [root@localhost ken]# I have tried the line you gave me it returns no file or directory foundif after [root@localhost ken]# i type my password it returns bash: error
1) What I see here is that you type ¨su¨ and it does NOT ask you for a password, but sets you to root without the password.Didn´t you give a rootpassword during install ??type: supasswdthen it will ask you for a password, give one, it will ask you to confirm the password, do that and you will have a rootpassword from now on !2)
cnadsl
where did you get that file ? that is not the right one ! it should be ¨CnxADSL.o¨ !No wonder it says ¨ no such file or directory¨Check your pases again and get that file on the right place.cp /home/ken/ADSL/CnxADSL.o /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/net/( space between ¨cp¨ and ¨/home¨. And between ¨CnxADSL.o¨ and ¨/lib¨ )We will continue tomorrow, but get the things above sorted out first.Remember: an error message means it did not copy, NO message at all means it did copy O.K. !;) Bruno

Hodgy:Homework for tomorrow:Get info from your ISP:- primary DNS number- secondary DNS number- VCI number ( vci )- VPI number ( vpi )- Fixed IP number ? ( if you have a fixed one )They will tell you they don´t support Linux, just say you don´t mind they don´t ;)( they just mean that they do not give any support on your Linux-connection problems. We will give you that support, that´s what the All Things Linux Forum is for. ;) )The info you´re asking, or be able to find on his website, is not Linux specific.;) Bruno

BrunoI do have the right file just my sloppy typing, also is the command line case sensitive?if so that could be one ;) of the probs.Working on the homework, get back to you later have to go out for a couple of hours.Hodgy

Hi HodgyYes everything in Linux is case sensitive !Wish you could just copy and paste that line . . . . but from Windows to Linux copy and paste is just not possible. :) Also the ADSL directory you made in your /home/ken should be reproduced in the command as ADSL.See you later. Have work to do . . . ;) , will be online agian later this afternoon. ( GMT ):) Bruno

Hi HodgyDo not use the command you see in the Howto we found on the net ! ( was for the 9.0 )The command I did put in the post above is adapted for the 9.1 kernel you use. You can just browse your ¨folders¨ and check is the kernel number is the same . . . /lib ---> /modules ---> /2.4.21-0.13mdkThe big advantage of all this is: once we get this done you will have learned a whole lot about Linux ! ;) :) :) Bruno

Hi BrunoThe Diamond Geezer from Amsterdam ;) :) :) I tried the new command line, still not working first attempt[ken@localhost ken]$ su[root@localhost ken]# cp /home/ken/adsl/CnxADSL.o /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernal/drivers/net/cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernal/drivers/net/CnxADSL.o': No such file or directory[root@localhost ken]#second attempt[ken@localhost ken]$ su[root@localhost ken]# cp /home/ken/ADSL/CnxADSL.o /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernal/drivers/net/cp: cannot stat `/home/ken/ADSL/CnxADSL.o': No such file or directory[root@localhost ken]#can you spot anything there?HomeworkPrimary DNS xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSec DNS xxxxxxxxxxxxxxVPI no. 0VCI no 38IP no. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ( *edited out by Bruno )Reading the post from onderer he was having the cpu overload problem with the sound moduledo you think i should try a new install?As i dont appear to have a password do i need one? I am the only one on this machineThanks Hodgy

Yes Hodgy, I do see what´s wrong.

[ken@localhost ken]$ su[root@localhost ken]# cp /home/ken/adsl/CnxADSL.o /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernal/drivers/net/
It is kernel, not kernal !
[root@localhost ken]# cp /home/ken/ADSL/CnxADSL.o /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernal/drivers/net/
How is the name of the file you made in your /home/ken ? adsl or ADSL ?
HomeworkPrimary DNS xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSec DNS xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxVPI no. 0VCI no 38IP no. xxxxxxxxxxxxx  ( *edited out by Bruno ) 
Exelent job !
do you think i should try a new install?
No I don´t think so !
As i dont appear to have a password do i need one? I am the only one on this machine
You absolutely need a root password, the user password is not that important, but the root-password is URGENT.This is what I wrote about it:
Didn´t you give a rootpassword during install ??type:supasswdthen it will ask you for a password, give one, it will ask you to confirm the password, do that and you will have a rootpassword from now on !
Hope you see all your questions answered here.:D Bruno

Go for it Hodgy:cp /home/ken/ADSL/CnxADSL.o /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/net/ :blink: Bruno

Hi Bruno :P :D I think i have finally done it right!!!Does this look ok[ken@localhost ken]$ su[root@localhost ken]# passwdChanging password for user root.New UNIX password:Retype new UNIX password:passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.[root@localhost ken]# cp /home/ken/adsl/CnxADSL.o /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/net/[root@localhost ken]#No error message :blink: Hodgy

YES Hodgy ! Yes yes yes ! you did it . . . . . yes !OK now you have a root-password, and the driver on it´s place !Give me a few minutes to set up the next step to take.YES YES YES, dancing around and shouting YES YES YESB) Bruno

This is what the How-to says:

Testing The Module.Do a quick test to check everything is in the right place :type#insmod -f CnxADSL \  CnxtDslVendorId=0x14F1      \  CnxtDslArmDeviceId=0x1610      \  CnxtDslAdslDeviceId=0x1611  \  CnxtDslPhysicalDriverType=1 You should see messages about a tainted kernel.now type #lsmod | grep CnxADSLIt should be there!finally type #rmmod CnxADSL
Now that is not 100% clear !I´ll translate that for you:su ( password ) ( when you are root the $ at the end of your prompt changes in a # )cd /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/net/ ( this will put this whole path IN your prompt )insmod -f CnxADSL \ ( \ = the escape sign means your Enter won´t be noticed and simply offer the next line for input ) CnxtDslVendorId=0x14F1 \ CnxtDslArmDeviceId=0x1610 \ CnxtDslAdslDeviceId=0x1611 \ CnxtDslPhysicalDriverType=1You should see messages about a tainted kernel. ( whatever that is ) ( make notes )lsmod | grep CnxADSL ( this should give text return, not it down and report )rmmod CnxADSL ( will remove the module, to be activated at boot when we´re finished with the scripts )Well this will keep you busy for a while !Report back to me.:blink: Bruno

Hi BrunoI got half way round the course here are the results[ken@localhost ken]$ suPassword:su: incorrect password[root@localhost ken]# insmod -fCnxADSL\> CnxtDslVendorld=0x14F1 \> CnxtDslArmDeviceld=0x1610 \> CnxtDslAdslDeviceld=0x1611 \> CnxtDslPhtsicalDriverType=1insmod: invalid option -- CUsage:insmod [-fhkLmnpqrsSvVxXyYN] [-e persist_name] [-o module_name] [-O blob_name] [-P prefix] module [ symbol=value ... ] module Name of a loadable kernel module ('.o' can be omitted) -f, --force Force loading under wrong kernel version -h, --help Print this message -k, --autoclean Make module autoclean-able -L, --lock Prevent simultaneous loads of the same module -m, --map Generate load map (so crashes can be traced) -n, --noload Don't load, just show -p, --probe Probe mode; check if the module matches the kernel -q, --quiet Don't print unresolved symbols -r, --root Allow root to load modules not owned by root -s, --syslog Report errors via syslog -S, --kallsyms Force kallsyms on module -v, --verbose Verbose output -V, --version Show version -x, --noexport Do not export externs -X, --export Do export externs (default) -y, --noksymoops Do not add ksymoops symbols -Y, --ksymoops Do add ksymoops symbols (default) -N, --numeric-only Only check the numeric part of the kernel version -e persist_name --persist=persist_name Filename to hold any persistent data from the module -o NAME, --name=NAME Set internal module name to NAME -O NAME, --blob=NAME Save the object as a binary blob in NAME -P PREFIX --prefix=PREFIX Prefix for kernel or module symbols[root@localhost ken]# Ismod \ grep CnxADSLbash: Ismod: command not found[root@localhost ken]# Ismod\grep\CnxADSLbash: IsmodgrepCnxADSL: command not found[root@localhost ken]# 1smod\grep CnxADSlbash: 1smodgrep: command not found[root@localhost ken]# 1smod \ grep CnxADSLbash: 1smod: command not found[root@localhost ken]# 1smod \grepCnxADSLbash: 1smod: command not found[root@localhost ken]# insmod \grep CnxADSLinsmod: grep: no module by that name found[root@localhost ken]# insmod \ grep CnxADSLinsmod: grep: no module by that name found[root@localhost ken]# 1smod \ grep CnxADSLbash: 1smod: command not found[root@localhost ken]#[ken@localhost ken]$ suPassword:You can see what i had the prob withHodgy