PHP-Nuke

nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

Hi,I have a dorky hard to update website that I created several years ago in FrontPage.(ICK!) I'd like to dump it and setup something that is good for content management for someone who is a rookie at html. I been playing with PHP-Nuke and like it a lot for my purposes. Anyone here use it? I have a web provider that will give me the needed MySQL and PHP access but I don't know how well I can transfer this. If I build my site on my in house server how hard is it going to be to move it to a host provider? One that hosts more then one virtual site. Will I have to change a bunch of setting or will this be a simple FTP transfer and uploading of the database?Any problems or drawbacks to using PHP-Nuke?

I use phpnuke for my www.eternalfellowship.net site (not a religious site either)basically it's a config file that holds all your database information and urls. -- You just upload the php-nuke directory that you download and run a install php file if I remember correctly - been a while since I installed mine, but for updates you just reupload everything again, but dont mess with the config file.I am thinking all you will need to do is transfer you stuff and make the changes in the config file.

Guest LilBambi

Lots of sites make use of PHP-Nuke.I recently started working on a website for a church using AppState University's phpMyWebsite Based on PHP/MySQL utilizing Pear.When this site that I am working on goes live, the Pastor and his wife will be able to make updates themselves and they don't have to know any HTML, PHP or any other programming. I created a totally new design theme in CSS for the site.I think this is very similar to PHP-Nuke, but apparently the University needed some things PHP-Nuke didn't provide ... at least in the version available when they needed it and went on to create phpMyWebsite.Full blown open source/GPL system ... the University made it to make it easier for their various departments to update their sites without webdesign knowlege.Might want to check this one out too, Nathan.

nlinecomputers

Thanks for the input. I'll probalby stick with PHP-Nuke. It appears to work well and lots of sites run with it. My webhost provider has a forum so I post a few questions with them about moving the site once I get it to the point that I'm ready for it to be seen by the public.Anybody know any places for themes for Nuke?

Guest LilBambi

PHP-Nuke is certainly a very nice choice.Range from $15 - $48:http://www.web-template.us/php-nuke-themes.phpSame price range but says 15% off all templates:http://www.templates-2u.com/phpnuke-templates.htmlFound a lot of places, but they all have the same set of templates for basically the same money.Here's a tutorial for creating theme's for yourself:Nuke Theme TutorialFound 11 themes here for download:http://www.kissoftware.co.uk/kiss/modules....ownload&cid=218More links on google too!

Edited by LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Happy to help at least with links ... would like to try out PHP-Nuke myself one of these days at a domain name.But at least I can install it locally (intranet) to play with it though. :P

Wow, phpNuke looks like a really neat program. I'm going to have to give that a try :)I've been using MovableType to manage my site, but i like how phpNuke allows viewers to have accounts and polls and be more interactive and stuff. Thanks :P

That is one nice thing about phpnuke - interactivity with the members and now with version 7 of phpnuke it has a points system in it that member get points for doing various tasks around the site.

nlinecomputers

It looked to me like Pear was a programing language that is an extention of PHP. It would be of no use to a PHP-Nuke site unless your adding your own code to it. And you'd have to run the pear program on your server just like PHP is run. I don't know if Pear is backward compatible with PHP or not.

Guest LilBambi

You are right Nathan ... it is a PHP extension ... a library sort of ... when installed on your webserver's computer, you can make use of it if the software you are using makes use of it, or you write your own PHP w/Pear extensions.phpMyWebsite is one such website software system.

nlinecomputers

Ok I've got a weird problem here.I've been working on my website which is running off my in house server. Today my webhost setup a MySQL database for my site. They gave me a user name and a database name. Now the PHP-nuke config.php file is set for a MySQL user as "root" and no password. That is great for something hidden from the net but obviously bad for my webhost.I wanted to test this using the provided names and passwords so I created a new database from the old "nuke" database called "nline", a user named "nline" and a password of ******* both in Mandrake and in MySQL.When I try to change the config.php file to the user nline, a password of *******, and database of nline. I get this:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: message_die() in /var/www/html/nuke/db/db.php on line 88
And no website.If I set the config.php file back to "root" and no password it works. So the nline DB is good. Obviously it's a rights issue in MySQL. ;) I gave the database the proper permissions for the user nline. What else do I need to do? I've never used MySQL except as a root user. :o

nlinecomputers

No you misunderstand. This isn't on my webhost. This is MY system. I was simply mirroring what the webhost was doing on my own box. That way I could just upload the site unchanged and it would work.

Does a program like phpMyAdmin have MySQL user management?If it does, that might work better than doing it by the config files. Maybe it'll fix whatever is being done wrong.

nlinecomputers
Does a program like phpMyAdmin have MySQL user management?If it does, that might work better than doing it by the config files. Maybe it'll fix whatever is being done wrong.
I'm using Webmin to create the users. I've also tried the command line.PHP-Nuke isn't setting up the users. You have to set up PHP-Nuke to use the proper user and db. The defaults in the config file are "root" as the user with no password and "nuke" as the database. For this config file to work on the webhost I'm going to have to use the names "nline" for user and database and have a password.This is not a big deal as I sure that it will work properly on the webhost(they should know how to setup a user correctly as they have lots of SQL based websites...) I just don't like not knowing what is going on.

Guest LilBambi

OK, I have never tried to create a data-driven site with the files on a local webspace (your computer) and the database on a website (non-local, on the web).I have never gotten that to work right.I usually set up the local stuff (CSS template etc.) in a directory locally while I am working on it.But when I need this to be assessible on the Internet, I copy the php/MySQL system files in the proper formats (binary for images, ascii for all others) and make all the proper CHMOD changes as specified by the system.I also upload the directory structure for the new template I created within the template directory stucture (making sure the image links etc point to the proper place within the structure if not in a default location).Then I set up the system using the databases username/password information, create my 'admin' account, change to my template, and start building pages.So I am not sure whether what you are doing is even do able. It may depend on whether 'calls' to the webspace's database ARE ALLOWED from outside the webspace's local machine. This could be a security situation that would be unacceptable to most webspaces because it could easily be abused and subverted.Hope I am understanding what you are trying to say correctly. :whistling:

nlinecomputers

Fran,You guys are making this more complicated then it is. :lol:Right now the website is private and running on my little Mandrake 9.2 Linux box with no password for the root user in MySQL. Both the site and the MySQL server is the same box. Once I publish it to my "real" website on my webhost it will require a user other than ROOT to work as it will be two different computers.(clusters) I'm sure that my webhost will have it setup correctly. I just want to copy that setup on my local box.Maybe I should restate the problem:I have an SQL database that my php program can't access properly.If I create a user in MySQL with a password and try to access it with PHP-Nuke I get a PHP error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: message_die() in /var/www/html/nuke/db/db.php on line 88
What steps do I need to take in MySQL and in Mandrake Linux so that my PHP program will logon and access the database? I do not want to use the root user for obvious security reasons.

Nathan,How did u create the mySQL database? Try this out, and create a new one....==> Create User agent007:# mysql -u root> use mysql;> insert into user (host, user, password) VALUES ('localhost', 'agent007', PASSWORD('yourpass'));> flush privileges;> exit;==> Create database agentdb with modification rights given to user agent007:# mysql -u root> use mysql;> create database agentdb> grant all privileges on agentdb.* to 'agent007';> flush privileges;> exit;

Guest LilBambi

Another thought might be that PHP-Nuke may not ALLOW non-password protected databases. It is inherently insecure that way. Just a thought.

HiI tried to get this to run on my web site about 3 weeks ago. The problem relates toa file called db.php. From my limited knowledge of CGI what it is doing is a die nice.In other words it cant connect to the data base. And it is stopping and giving output to help debug. The file is in php_Nuke6.9/html/db folder(dir). If you are using 6.9 that is the one I was trying to get running. The new 7.1 is supposed to be better because of security reasons of some sort. But I have'nt seen it because you either have to join(At the nuke site) or buy it or something to get 7. And I wasnt willing to do it when I could'nt get it running at all. Any ways the file db.php that is in the Nuke6.9/html/db folder on line 88.I think tha tit may be because the file in php_Nuke6.9/html/config.php may not be configured right. Take a look at lines 45 through 52 there and see if everything is configured for your set up. When I tried to run it on my site MySQL adimin would'nt let me load the whole data base at once. And then I tried loading the db tables,and editing.But it still would'nt run. So I never got it up. This link may be of some help.http://www.nukeresources.com/modules.php?n...ide&op=sqlsetupI hope this helps some. atiustira

nlinecomputers
Another thought might be that PHP-Nuke may not ALLOW non-password protected databases. It is inherently insecure that way. Just a thought.
Huh?It doesn't work whenever I try to use a password not the other way arround. If I use ROOT and no password it works just fine, but that opens the SQL database to the world and that is not a good thing.One thing I haven't tried is to give Root a password and see if that works.

nlinecomputers
HiI tried to get this to run on my web site about 3 weeks ago. The problem relates toa file called db.php. From my limited knowledge of CGI what it is doing is a die nice.In other words it cant connect to the data base. And it is stopping and giving output to help debug. The file is in php_Nuke6.9/html/db folder(dir). If you are using 6.9 that is the one I was trying to get running. The new 7.1 is supposed to be better because of security reasons of some sort. But I have'nt seen it because you either have to join(At the nuke site) or buy it or something to get 7. And I wasnt willing to do it when I could'nt get it running at all. Any ways the file db.php that is in the Nuke6.9/html/db folder on line 88.I think tha tit may be because the file in php_Nuke6.9/html/config.php may not be configured right. Take a look at lines 45 through 52 there and see if everything is configured for your set up.  When I tried to run it on my site MySQL adimin would'nt let me load the whole data base at once. And then I tried loading the db tables,and editing.But it still would'nt run. So I never got it up.  This link may be of some help.http://www.nukeresources.com/modules.php?n...ide&op=sqlsetupI hope this helps some.                          atiustira
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out!

7.1? have not heard anything of a 7.1 - I have version 7.0 - it's available from other sites and I have been running phpnuke before 6.5 and I never had a problem