XP to Windows 7 upgrade can only start up in Safe Mode

Eric Legge

Hi all,I just performed an upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium from Windows XP Home for a relative with a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop PC.The compatibility report did not indicate any serious problems with the upgrade.Unfortunately after the final reboot, it can only boot to Safe Mode.I tried Startup Repair from my Win7 repair disc, but it found nothing wrong with the startup.There are no devices in the Device Manger with a yellow exclamation mark or red cross.However, the computer failed to bring up the options to choose a Home, Work or Public network even though the wireless router was on and working and had been online with XP.After I chose the Home network option with my own laptop, the setup required my wireless encryption key and then went online for updates. Tomorrow I'll try Safe Mode with networking to get online and get updates and drivers from Windows Update, if that fails, I'll try connecting the PC by Ethernet cable to the router and then running the setup at startup from the install disc.Any ideas would be appreciated because there are no reports of this problem on the web yet.

Just to be clear, you can't do a conventional "upgrade" from XP to 7, so this is a clean install (formatted or not), correct?What happens? Errors? Hangs on black screen or elsewhere? My initial suspect would be video drivers. Try disabling the video card in Device Manager to test. If that helps, update the drivers from Dell or Microsoft.Kevin

Edited by kkehoe

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it was a custom install. There are no issues showing in the Device Manager in Safe Mode. Startup repair on the Repair disc could find no startup problem. The PC just starts in Safe Mode and won't boot into normal mode and does not give any error messages.This is the PC's compatibility report:Windows 7 Upgrade AdvisorYou need to prepare your system before installing Windows 7.System RequirementsUpgradeBackup system first You'll need to perform a custom installation of Windows 7 and then reinstall your programs. Make sure to back up your files before you begin. Go online to get important information about installing Windows 7. Windows AeroNot capableYour current graphics adapter won't support the Windows Aero user interface. Contact your PC manufacturer or retailer to see if an upgrade is possible.CPU speed2.80 GHzYour CPU meets the 1 GHz minimum requirement.RAM1.00 GBYour system memory meets the 1 GB minimum requirement. Hard Drive Free Space44.86 GBYour hard disk meets the minimum requirement of 16 GB free space for 32-bit Windows 7. DevicesWireless-B PCI AdapterCisco-Linksys, LLC.Action recommendedBefore installing Windows 7, go to the device manufacturer's website to download the latest driver for this device. After installing Windows 7, install the saved driver. Intel® 537EP V9x DF PCI ModemIntel CorporationAction recommendedRun Windows Update after installing Windows 7 to make this device compatible. SoundMAX Integrated Digital AudioAnalog Devices, Inc.Action recommendedRun Windows Update after installing Windows 7 to make this device compatible. HP Photosmart C4400 seriesHewlett-PackardCompatibleThis device is compatible with Windows 7. Intel® PRO/100 VE Network ConnectionIntelCompatibleThis device is compatible with Windows 7. Intel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2IntelCompatibleThis device is compatible with Windows 7. Intel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4IntelCompatibleThis device is compatible with Windows 7. Intel® 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage ControllersIntelCompatibleThis device is compatible with Windows 7. Intel® 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DDIntelCompatibleThis device is compatible with Windows 7. Intel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DEIntelCompatibleThis device is compatible with Windows 7. ProgramsSonic DLAversion 4.95Sonic SolutionsReinstall after upgradeYou need to uninstall this program before upgrading to Windows 7. You can reinstall this version of the program after upgrading to Windows 7. Sonic MyDVDversion 5.3.0Sonic SolutionsMinor issuesYou might experience minor issues using this program while running Windows 7. For more information, go online to the manufacturer's website. Intel® PROSet for Wired Connectionsversion 8.00.5000DellMinor issuesYou might experience minor issues using this program while running Windows 7. For more information, go online to the manufacturer's website. Visit the publisher's website.

OK, so to clarify further, if you just hit the power button and sit on your hands, the system boots into Safe Mode without any intervention by yourself? If so, Start > Run > MSCONFIG > Boot tab > look for a check in "Safe Boot". I can't think of anything that would cause that to be checked so it's a bit of a stab in the dark.Kevin

Problem solved.This is what the Win7 compatibility report says about the graphics card:Windows AeroNot capableYour current graphics adapter won't support the Windows Aero user interface. Contact your PC manufacturer or retailer to see if an upgrade is possible.Unfortunately the integrated graphics of the Dell Dimension 3000 is the Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 chip.This only supports DirectX 8 and Win7 requires a graphics card/chip that supports DirectX 9. Dell used a cheapo DirectX 8 chip in this 2006 computer. My own self-built 2005 desktop PC with an AMD Socket 939 motherboard has a Direct X 9.0 integrated chip and a PCI Express slot for a graphics card. There is also no AGP or PCI Express slot for a graphics card, so the Dimension 3000 cannot be upgraded to Win7.That shows the weakness in the compatibility report. It should have said that the graphics chip only supports DirectX 8 and that Win7 cannot be used unless the graphic card can be upgraded to a DirectX 9 card.

Problem solved.This is what the Win7 compatibility report says about the graphics card:Windows AeroNot capableYour current graphics adapter won't support the Windows Aero user interface. Contact your PC manufacturer or retailer to see if an upgrade is possible.Unfortunately the integrated graphics of the Dell Dimension 3000 is the Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 chip.This only supports DirectX 8 and Win7 requires a graphics card/chip that supports DirectX 9. Dell used a cheapo DirectX 8 chip in this 2006 computer. My own self-built 2005 desktop PC with an AMD Socket 939 motherboard has a Direct X 9.0 integrated chip and a PCI Express slot for a graphics card. There is also no AGP or PCI Express slot for a graphics card, so the Dimension 3000 cannot be upgraded to Win7.That shows the weakness in the compatibility report. It should have said that the graphics chip only supports DirectX 8 and that Win7 cannot be used unless the graphic card can be upgraded to a DirectX 9 card.
Eric, this NewEgg page shows a number of PCI video cards that are DirectX 9 and/or DirectX 10 compatable at pretty reasonable prices, and I'm sure some of these cards are available in the UK.However, if all 3 PCI slots are filled, your relative might have to decide on what to eliminate to open a slot for the new video card. I think this model Dell came with a PCI phone modem card by default. If your relative is connecting to a router, the phone modem is no longer needed and could be removed to make way for the video card. If your relative decides to go this route, remember to turn off the onboard video in the BIOS so that Windows will see the PCI card. Edited by mac