Photo

Your next company computer may be a 2-in-1 laptop

Yesterday, 03:58 PM

Posted by Computerworld in Computerworld News

While consumer adoption of tablets is decreasing, business adoption is going the other way, powered by corporate fondness for Apple's iPad Pro and 2-in-1 devices running Windows.

The number of consumer-owned tablets is expected to decline about 3.3% annually even as the number of business-owned tablets grows at a combined annual growth rate of 6.9% by 2022, according to Forrester Research.

Global mobile device usage is expected to reach more than 5.5 billion users by 2022, almost double the total number of users (2.8 billion) in 2008, according a Forrester report released last week.

Large-screen smartphones are contributing to the decline in tablet sales among consumers, while the diverse use cases for a 2-in-1s is driving that segment's growth, Forrester stated.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

View the full article

11 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

Will Apple map your home with iRobot's Roomba?

Yesterday, 10:06 AM

Is it counterintuitive to predict that one of the impacts of virtual reality will be better indoor maps of the reality we are already in? I don’t think it’s such an outlandish idea, as software developers, device manufacturers and technology firms are already looking to map every nook and cranny of your planet.

The robots are coming

Look at the popular Roomba robotic vacuum cleaner. The device already gathers all kinds of data—room dimensions, furniture position and distances between items—data that could help inform next-generation IoT devices.

View the full article

2 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

Tweaking Internet Explorer to only use TLS 1.2

24 Jul 2017

I rarely write about Internet Explorer. In part, its because I don't use it, but also it's on the assumption that no one who reads a Defensive Computing blog uses it either. Nonetheless, I included it in this series on limiting web browsers to TLS 1.2 because, frankly, it does such a good job of it.

To recap, there are six versions of the security protocol that underlies secure websites, those transmitted with HTTPS rather than HTTP. The two oldest versions, SSL 2 and SSL 3, have not been considered secure for a very long time and are no longer used by websites or web browsers. The next three versions, known as TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2, are the topic at hand. There is an even newer version, TLS 1.3, but it is still in draft status and hardly used anywhere.

View the full article

4 Views · 0 Replies

Latest Discussions

Site Navigation

Online Users

0 members, 43 visitors and 0 anonymous users

Google, Bing, Yahoo

Portal v1.1.0 by DevFuse | Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS