about web advertising

crp

IMO, the ad people are right on both counts. There is no reason ads can't pay for content the same way the do for TV. But the ad people got greedy and cluttered up the net so much that even people like me, who don't mind "focused advertising" in principle, got fed up with it and started using blockers. I particularly hate video ads with sound. Somehow whenever I stumbled on one, the sound was so loud it would blast me out of my chair! :'(

Somehow whenever I stumbled on one, the sound was so loud it would blast me out of my chair! :'(

My mother (87 years old and hard of hearing) had the same complaint. I finally installed an ad blocker for her.

I found the setting where you can turn off the automatic playing of plugins. Now they don't play unless I click on them and choose to play.

• Like 1

It is also safer if the ads are blocked because there are poisoned ads that a user might inadvertently click on. I'm talking legitimate sites like Washington post and New York Times that had poisoned ads in the past.

• Like 1

I also have flash set as click-to-play on mother's machine. As Liz said, I finally installed ad blocker on that machine after reports of poisoned ads on mainstream sites--I can't deal with an infection because she read an article on a news website. :'(