hard disk free to install

striker

Well, I thought it's about time to install some distro's on the machine, so I cleaned up my second hard disk drive just to be ready for that.You can see what drives are in the machine and how they are partitioned at this moment when you have a look at this link: http://tinypic.com/58pd5You can have a peek at the machines specs in my profile, it's the Main System Specs machine we are talking about.Allright then, as you can see SuSE 9.1 Pro (ftp install) is already on there and I sure would not like to ftp-install that one again, but...if it has to be then it shall be that way. (I'm on DSL so if it has to be it reinstalled it will only be a minor problem.)These are the distro's I sure would like to have on the second hard disk drive, that's disc 1 (38,29 GB) on the picture above :1] Redhat 92] Knoppix 3.63] Yoper v. 2.104] SuSE 9.1 Pro FTPI mean there's plenty of room , so any suggestions would be appreciated, but please keep this in mind :a] don't try to persuade me to throw Mandrake in there.I know it's a fine distro, but not for this machine.It simply doesn't like this machine.b] In the past I had Redhat 8.0 on it , Suse 8.2 Personal and 9.1 Personal without a problem.They all ran OK . SuSE 9.1 Pro is doing fine too.c] hard disk drive 0 (disc 0 on the picture linked to above) absolutely needs to be left untouched.If anything goes wrong I'm able to restore the MBR, I did have to do that everytime I was trying Mandrake in the past.d] I do need a little partition of about 4 GB for Photoshop's scratchdisk on the second hard disk drive. So we're left with about 34 GB total.What have I got?From Redhat 9 I happen to have the install discs+ source discs, Knoppix 3.6 I have is the known live cd (I also have the 3.4 version BTW), the install disc for Yoper (v.2.10) I do have here too.So there's no need to download anything right now,except maybe the SuSE 9.1 Pro again, unless it could be left untouched. Now I boot SuSE 9.1 Pro with a separate floppy, using Lilo. (I had this "install party" in mind for a few weeks already, so I did choose Lilo and not Grub.)Any ideas, suggestions and any help out there would be highly appreciated.Therefore I didn't partition anything yet. When it comes to partitioning, I also do have the Mandrake 9.1 Personal discs overhere to fall back on, so if needed they will come in handy.TIA.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• striker

• Ozidave

• teacher

• Bruno

Top Posters In This Topic

OK Bruno,Saw it already in the thread you mentioned.Went to the site, read the thread again,went for the screenshots and I'm downloading that one now.Looks very promising.This download will take a few hours, so I'll be back here tomorrow when it is downloaded completely,I checked the md5 sums and burned them to cd.Thanks for now.

Slackware ...mmm, very nice but... in the past I've had some problems with Slack 9.1 on this machine, (it didn't like my graphics card,Geforce 2Ti) so maybe it's better to stick with Ignalum for now?Or is Slackware 10 different or better regarding acceptance of graphics cards and modelines? :hmm:This is a **** of a machine to tame when it comes to Linux B) ,almost always I do need a modeline adjustment. Redhat 8's kernel had a bug way back then, the modeline wouldn't stick .SuSE never had problems with that, and Slackware 9.1 ... well, let's say Slack 9.1 and my graphics card didn't want to be mates. B)

In that case Striker: Ignalum will be the safest bet ! . . . And I am sure you will like it ! ( And start putting some money aside for a Linux-Friendly-Box B) )B) Bruno

n that case Striker: Ignalum will be the safest bet !
downloading now... B)
( And start putting some money aside for a Linux-Friendly-Box  )
Arrrgh, don't let the wife hear that, I've already got three toyboxes, as she uses to call them :P B)

Arrrgh, don't let the wife hear that, I've already got three toyboxes, as she uses to call them ;)    B)
Hey..Toys are important beside these toys are for knowledge building , I tell my wife it's better than the BMW toy I want :P (actually she gets tired of my whinning and caves in to shut me up:D )But back on topic..I had better luck with slackware 10 and the New vector Rc1 on my less linux friendly boxes..that includes box that didn't like slack9.1 just a thought B)

Yeah, good ol' Vector, I'll have a look at it tomorrow.Maybe that's another candidate.Thanks for the thought Barry.Wifes...strange creatures,sometimes impossible,but we can't miss them.And even sometimes they do have that fascinating power of setting us men on our feet again, with those laughing eyes, pulling us out of our daydreames ! B) back into reality.

Yes, you need to take care of the wives. Preferably, one per husband. B) Or in my case, I guess I have to take care of hubby. As long as I keep his computer running smooth he turns a blind eye to mine. B)

Hey Stryder...another distro that I have found that seems to work with more difficult boxes is SimplyMepis, and it's not as large (HD requirements)as Reg Mepis or Knoppix (but can be added to via apt-get or kpackage) it can boot in either a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel and is alot like knoppix(also liveCD, that can be installed, )It uses KDE, but Gnome and other WM's can be added..but is pretty complete otherwise(more specific for desktop use)..I usually end up adding Kontact, evolution, celestia...ummm and penguin-command. But it's a pretty good baseline Debian derived distro. Now having said all that, if your into development, it's probably not what you want(you can apt-get/kpackage til you drop though) but Knoppix may end up being your better choice. ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/mep...PIS-2004.01.iso(make sure you get the 2004.01 iso)This concludes the "BarryB for SimplyMepis" infomercial :thumbsdown:

Thanks for the heads up Barry, just downloaded the Vector one and burned to cd. Later today I might have a look into SimplyMepis, but first of all I still have to get cd nr3 of Ignalum.Thanks again !

downloaded nr 1 out of 4, on to the next ones.See ya tomorrow.
Hi Striker,If you are only installing the desktop, you will only need disk one and two... Three and four are for the 'HEAVIES' and servers etc.... :angry2: Btw, it has beaut graphics and does come over like MS-Win and it's a real contender to shake the **** out of them. :thumbsdown:

Even though I swore off anything Red Hat or thereafter, you have enticed me. I must admit I left for work this morning with downloads running on all four disks. If it blows away my finely tuned system of Drake, Cooker/Community 10.1, Slack, Gentoo, I will be sorely disappointed. I would hate to run all of that from scratch again. I think I will back up my lilo and boot partition prior to installing. ;)

Thanks Dave,I got them all 4 already, but that of course is no problem. I saw your little remarks too on the other thread : good to know .I hope to get a chance in the forecoming days to see what this one does on my machine and especially how it performs. And Yoper will be on that one also, so that makes two overhere running it...And maybe Nathan will follow ?I sure want to see that one distro ... can't almost wait any longer ;) (just kidding, patience is better.)

OK,These are the distros I have over here right now :Redhat 9 incl. source cd's,VectorLinux 4.0 - SOHO 3.2 and 4.3-rc1SimplyMepis 2004.01Ignalum 9Yoper v.2.10SuSE 8.2 Personal, 9.1 Personal and 9.1 Pro could be FTP installedKnoppix 3.4 and 3.6Mandrake 9.1 Personal as last resort

Yep,I like your proposal Bruno, sounds good to me.Maybe it's no bad idea to skip Yoper : I was perusing their forums and located a problem with their boot loader implementation. It seems it has to be on hda or it won't boot into linux but straight into that other distro with that W in its name.Trying to locate the exact link to it now, after that I'll post it here.OK, found it : it's a bit long ...http://www.yoper.com/forum2/index.php?showtopic=2296

Edited by striker

Dumb question now... but I'm not 100 percent sure so I better ask before :

Ignalum 9VectorLinux 4.3-rc1SimplyMepis 2004.01
I'd like to have SuSE 9.1 Pro added ,will that be possible? Studying at the Tips for Linux Explorers now.Shall I use Mandrakes 9.1 partitioner for it to create the partitions before installing anything, or just let the distros installer do the job? Any hints? Edited by striker

Go for it. Definitely partition first. I would use the Mandrake partitioner. It seems to be universally accepted and not all the others are. I have had good luck that way! :lol:

Yep,I like your proposal Bruno, sounds good to me.Maybe it's no bad idea to skip Yoper : I was perusing their forums and located a problem with their boot loader implementation. It seems it has to be on hda or it won't boot into linux but straight into that other distro with that W in its name.Trying to locate the exact link to it now, after that I'll post it here.OK, found it :  it's a bit long ...http://www.yoper.com/forum2/index.php?showtopic=2296
Hi Striker,I think they are just a couple of novices that got completely lost in partitioning the HD... Yoper does give the option of where to boot from.. although I didn't try it.I've found the easiest way with yoper and the rest is to set the partition and NOT format it under Windows... else you get it mounted with 'Restore and Recycler' unless of course you turn off 'restore' for that 'drive'. (XP & 2000?).Yoper also likes to be 'tidy'... and I use the command-line Fdisk in preference to the GUI options. And it goes like this...Free Space... 40Gig RAW (for a figure) and 'sub' partion in this order as logical partitions.Home=20Gig, type 85, Write.Swap=1Gig, type 82, Write.Root=(the remainder), type 83, write.QUIT! (follow the prompts).I also found that you must type the partion type numbers each time even though 82 is staring you in the face... you still must enter it?And Yoper 'loves' this, as all the next options all appear in 'order' of choice and it makes it so simple?I suspect you know all of this, but it's here for the benefit of others.. :lol: So don't be put off by the above thread... and I noticed that NOBODY actually set about helping them with the basic question? DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING? :) Edited by Ozidave

Hi all,Glad I'm back here now, I couldn't post earlier because the forums completely went off the net last evening/night.That was the second ime in two weeks this happened without any notification in advance. :hmm: (I think it was the server migration Scot talked about.)So here we are again. First of all thanks Julia and Dave for your replies ;) .I'm definitely going to use Mandrakes partitioner to repartition the disc beforehand, so all distros will see space to install to when install time is there.The only problem I'm facing now is do I have enough room for Yoper too on there or not, I only have24,7 GB (if I leave SuSE untouched and use a 4GB partition I need for scratch disk) to use and I think it's not enough for all wishes.That implies I shall have to make priorities, either dump SuSE and use Yoper, or skip Yoper for now.Because SuSE is running absolutely great without any problems, I think it's better for now to skip Yoper. (wondering if I should get a bigger hard drive??? Well, let's see...when's my birthday...:hmm: christmas coming in a few months B) ) So let's face it : I don't have enough room for now, but I'm studying on the subject...I do have this idea I could use a common swap space for all distros;There's one already for SuSE and it is 1 GB, big enough. In that case I don't need any other swap space for the other distros because swap space is already there ... So I'm going to do some arithmetics now to see what I can come up with. I'll be back later.

You should use a common swap for all your partitions. I have too many distros running now (5) and only one swap partition. They all find it and recognize it. Many of the install programs reformat it when they install but it still ends up the same way and they still all recognize it. ;)You know hard drives do get cheap at times. I have a spare 160 sitting here from where there was a sale I could not pass up!

What do you think about this partitioning scheme?http://tinypic.com/5mnpxThe 1GB SWAP is common.
Good Grief!If you could now just remove some of the lines.... Wow! look at all the extra space you'd have. :lol:Actually it looks pretty well spaced-out.. and those partions should be OK, not to do a LOT of updating, but enough to 'play' Linux on! :hmm: