Did anyone here read about this?:

http://www.bleepingc...edom-of-speech/

#2 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,082 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:58 AM

I have no funds to spare, but I shared on my G+ stream.

#3 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,862 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:15 AM

You know I have heard the name for a long time but I have been to bleepingcomputer before.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#4 OFFLINE   Pete!

Pete!

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:02 AM

IMHO: This is an attack on anyone who would like to speak freely, or express an opinion, on a message board.

Regardless of whether or not "Spyhunter" is (or was) malware, this attempt to silence honest opinion is reason enough for me to avoid Enigma Software products.

#5 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,862 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:15 PM

View PostPete!, on 02 February 2016 - 11:02 AM, said:

IMHO: This is an attack on anyone who would like to speak freely, or express an opinion, on a message board.

Regardless of whether or not "Spyhunter" is (or was) malware, this attempt to silence honest opinion is reason enough for me to avoid Enigma Software products.

Yes, it is!!

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#6 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:42 PM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 02 February 2016 - 12:15 PM, said:

View PostPete!, on 02 February 2016 - 11:02 AM, said:

Yes, it is!!
Enigma may subscribe to the old adage "any publicity is good publicity".  But in this case, I think they are wrong.  Anyone who reads this story is likely to be "computer savvy" and will be teed off enough to not only avoid Enigma's products themselves but also warn others to avoid them.

#7 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 4,041 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:47 PM

As I've posted elsewhere, I read the PDF and cannot figure out what in heaven's name the announcement about staff promotions has to do with their idiot lawsuit?  "Staff" on forums does not in any way mean employment.  

Particularly through the long-standing malware removal training program, members of BC have gotten to know developers of other software programs -- particularly Emsisoft and Malwarebytes.  So, of course, having become "friends", members of the security community do tend to recommend the products that our friends are involved with.

Taking it a step further, people coming to the forums for help are very often not in a position to walk in the door of a computer tech shop, likely facing a minimum $75-100 fee just to have the computer analyzed.  Besides which, most computer tech shops don't "clean" the computer.  They do a wipe and reinstall.  So, for these people without a lot of funds, why would we recommend a software program that will only analyze for free but requires a purchased license to remove (Note: I am making no mention of the ability/quality of said licensed software)?  The programs recommended in the forums all have free-for-personal-use versions that will both analyze and remove.

As to the bit about affiliates, I cannot begin to guess the hosting costs for a site as large as BC with the high volume of traffic that it receives.  Of course funds are needed to keep the site running.  Granted, I use ad-blocking software so don't see the ads.  That said, how much money does ESG think those ads and affiliate links bring in?  One can only hope that it comes close to paying the hosting costs, domain renewal fee and forum software license.
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#8 OFFLINE   Pete!

Pete!

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:25 PM

Corrine:
The purpose of a SLAPP suit isn't necessarily to win a case in court.
It's purpose is to intimidate and silence critics, with overwhelming legal expenses.
Even in states with anti SLAPP suit laws, by the time the judge throws the case out, the defendant may have incurred considerable expense.

#9 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:31 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 02 February 2016 - 12:58 AM, said:

I have no funds to spare, but I shared on my G+ stream.
I have no audience to share with, but made a small contribution. Together, we did what we could. :yes:
Registered Linux User 344759

#10 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 6,992 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:56 PM

I contributed. I want to read honest reviews.
If the company, Enigma, doesn't like the reviews posted at lots of sites. IMPROVE THE PROGRAM!

Even MajorGeeks tells people to not install it.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 4,041 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:55 PM

View PostPete!, on 02 February 2016 - 01:25 PM, said:

Corrine:
The purpose of a SLAPP suit isn't necessarily to win a case in court.
It's purpose is to intimidate and silence critics, with overwhelming legal expenses.
Even in states with anti SLAPP suit laws, by the time the judge throws the case out, the defendant may have incurred considerable expense.

As I understand it, NY is not a SLAPP state.  Beyond that, it seems that Grinler and the rest of the security community are certainly not being intimidated.
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

#12 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,531 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:50 PM

it's practicing law in a lawless society (globally lawless at that)

i.e., it is only wrong to do what is right, and the politically correct things are all the things detrimental to society.

bleepingcomputer is a good site that hosts good anti-malware software, in addition to opinions that irk the makers of bad software, apparently.
Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,862 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:42 PM

It's a nice site but I wonder why they offer these linux downloads as those are in any distro's package manager:
http://www.bleepingc...download/linux/

#14 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,531 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:56 PM

Possibly the same reason http://sectools.org/ does, to draw attention to a useful tool.
Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,862 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:03 PM

View PostTemmu, on 11 February 2016 - 12:56 PM, said:

Possibly the same reason http://sectools.org/ does, to draw attention to a useful tool.
Well those make sense as they're security 'tools' but the ones bleepingcomputer has are kind of random:

htop, kdirstat, clementine, virtualbox and eagle

Just a thought...

#16 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,265 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:28 PM

In most other countries, if you sue someone and lose, you can be ordered to pay the other party's costs. This prevents a lot of frivolous cases like this from ever reaching court.
registered Linux user number 324659  || The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageKXStudio
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#17 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:38 PM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 11 February 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

View PostTemmu, on 11 February 2016 - 12:56 PM, said:

Well those make sense as they're security 'tools' but the ones bleepingcomputer has are kind of random:

htop, kdirstat, clementine, virtualbox and eagle

Just a thought...
There are probably several apps that can be used for what each of those listed on BC do, and those are the one they recommend for each job.

#18 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:13 PM

Court is always a crapshoot. However, this is a frivolous lawsuit if I ever saw one. Tragic that BleepingComputer is going through this crap. I hope to help if/when I can. I really appreciate BC very much!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#19 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,531 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:22 AM

although this is not new news, here's this from the register: http://www.theregist...bleep_out_post/

If Bleeping Computer kowtows to Enigma Software's demands, then reviews, recommendation and advice from Bleeping Computer instantly become suspect. How can a reader know if information was added or subtracted through legal coercion?

Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:20 PM

This is why the advertising guild or cartel these days is a big farce!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#21 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 4,041 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:45 PM

Forgive me for bumping this old thread.  However, I learned something the other night that resulted in getting quietman7's permission to publish this article:  Support quietman7 in Enigma vs Bleeping Computer Lawsuit.

If you aren't in a position to help (although every little bit adds up), please share in Twitter, Facebook or other social media sites.  Thanks!
Posted Image

#22 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,862 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:50 PM

Thanks, will do.

#23 OFFLINE   quietman7

quietman7

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:54 AM

I want to thank everyone for their support...it certainly is appreciated.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 Posted Image
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#24 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,862 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:08 AM

View Postquietman7, on 30 January 2017 - 07:54 AM, said:

I want to thank everyone for their support...it certainly is appreciated.

Glad to do so :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users