crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:46 PM

http://www.scienceal...ally-looks-like

Posted Image
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#152 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:45 PM

This Artist Tied One Knot for Every Day of 2016. The Results Are Gorgeous

Posted Image

:breakfast:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#153 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:46 PM

"The Ashley Book of Knots" by Clifford W. Ashley

This book and a piece of cord will open a new and challenging world of practical adventure to readers of all ages. It provides great information on every practical knot - what it looks like, who uses it, where it comes from, and how to tie it.

Through this attractive, well-organized archive of more than 3,900 different knots - presented through 7,000 illustrations - the art of knot tying lives on, both as a historical reference and a reservoir of handy knowledge. This should be a unique and permanent addition to any library.

Mr. Ashley, a prominent marine artist, is at his best here. He has devoted eleven years to writing this book, and it is based on forty years of looking for, trying out, and thinking up new knots. His drawings abound in humor and the text is full of colorful anecdotes.

I came across this book way back in the 70's when a friend made me a fancy knotted thingy. The pub I used in Ambleside in the 90's had a big brass bell for calling time screwed to the wall at the bar and the clanger had a white rope hanging down with a delightful Turks Head (I think) knot at the end which was a popular topic of conversation with new visitors.
If anyone has a copy they do not want I would be most happy to take it of their hands.

More information here at the Gutenberg site,

http://self.gutenber...y_Book_of_Knots

It is available for free from archive.org legally in a variety of formats for download as well as via torrent.

https://archive.org/...hleyBookOfKnots

:pirate:
Install ARCH

#154 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:25 PM

I dunno , which story has more impact?

http://www.techtimes...hake-better.htm

https://www.technolo...lsy/?set=603665
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#155 OFFLINE   mac

mac

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:39 PM

View Postcrp, on 17 February 2017 - 08:25 PM, said:

I'll cast my vote for the second. Amazing stuff!
Mac
"Long ago, when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks,
it was called witchcraft. Today it's called golf." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)

#156 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:10 AM

another story of too many choices lead to nothing
http://blog.dilbert....atch-television

#157 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:22 PM

I got so sick and tired of all the drivel and canned laughter on TV that I kicked it into touch about ten years ago.I ripped down the aerial and threw it into the recycle scrap.
Now I keep up with the news on NPR and BBC4 .This way it's possible to actually do many other creative things while my eyes are free and the ears are engaged with other forms of entertainment . Besides the ears are not able to hold tools or do anything more than listen and waggle a bit when the jaw muscles are clenched in a certain way .
If I really need to watch any show all that's needed is google ,yahoo or bing and there you are . No fuss no time wasted ,everything at your fingertips .
Way to go for me. :yes:
Linux counter no . 393441

#158 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:01 AM

woops, all those science papers made wrong .
http://www.sciencema...d-more-40-years

#159 OFFLINE   mac

mac

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:19 PM

Well-known facts that aren't true...
http://www.msn.com/e...en=true#image=1
Mac

#160 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:40 AM

In defence of tv.

This is a most extraordinary show that is airing on my Talk Talk TV box at the moment.

The Curse of Oak Island

To avoid adverts I record the shows and when playing back I skip the adverts. I never have trouble deciding what to watch as I set the box up to record whole series's and then watch at my leisure.

Install ARCH

#161 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:01 PM

probably not offbeat, definitely humorless but interesting if disconcerting  - especially if not aware of the problem.

oh, for those who are using a tablet or phone to view this:
http://retractionwat...biostatistican/

#162 OFFLINE   Robert

Robert

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:47 PM

#163 OFFLINE   Robert

Robert

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:51 AM

#164 OFFLINE   mac

mac

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:22 AM

Latvian company accomplishes a worlds first parachute jump from a drone. :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube....h?v=EOPZhRJtz9w

We did it! We have accomplished the World’s first human flight with the drone and jump at high altitude. On May 12, our 28-propeller Aerones's drone has lifted a skydiver Ingus Augstkalns at a height of 330 metres, from where he accomplished the planned jump and landing with the parachute

Mac

#165 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:06 AM

View Postmac, on 02 June 2017 - 11:22 AM, said:

Latvian company accomplishes a worlds first parachute jump from a drone. :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube....h?v=EOPZhRJtz9w

We did it! We have accomplished the World’s first human flight with the drone and jump at high altitude. On May 12, our 28-propeller Aerones's drone has lifted a skydiver Ingus Augstkalns at a height of 330 metres, from where he accomplished the planned jump and landing with the parachute

Latvians blimey they are mad as the Estonians. :yes:
Install ARCH

#166 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:28 AM

Casa Vicens the first house designed by Antoni Gaudí, can be visited for the first time after remaining a private residence for more than 130 years. It is the last World Heritage Site building to open to the public in the city of Barcelona, and it will officially open in the autumn of 2017.

Posted Image

The First House Gaudi Ever Designed Just Opened to the Public After 130 Years

He certainly created some out of the normal buildings and 130 years later he is still influencing the architectural world.

When Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí (25 June 1852 – 10 June 1926) graduated from the Barcelona Architecture School in 1878, the director of the school Elies Rogent reportedly declared: "Gentlemen, we are here today either in the presence of a genius or a madman!" [1] Well over a century later, this tension is still evident in Gaudí's work; though he is widely regarded as a genius architect, his distinctive style stands as a singularity in architectural history - simultaneously awe-inspiring and bizarre, never fitting into any stylistic movement, and never adapted or emulated, except by those still working to complete his magnum opus, Barcelona's famous Sagrada Família.

Spotlight: Antoni Gaudí  

Install ARCH

#167 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:07 PM

View Postabarbarian, on 16 June 2017 - 05:28 AM, said:

Casa Vicens the first house designed by Antoni Gaudí, can be visited for the first time after remaining a private residence for more than 130 years. It is the last World Heritage Site building to open to the public in the city of Barcelona, and it will officially open in the autumn of 2017.
oh, a cheesecake house. There is one in my neighborhood.

#168 OFFLINE   Robert

Robert

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:11 AM

Citroen DS

#169 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:37 PM

A 100-year-old physics problem has been solved. (problem as in a limitation.)

https://m.phys.org/n...cs-problem.html

#170 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:00 PM

Think you know about the start of blockchains? Well, try this: https://hackernoon.c...rs-c90b0151c169

#171 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:31 AM

That is some mindbending stuff you are reading crp. Mine is just a tad more mundane.

Let’s invent a dustbin that throws itself away

which led me to this which I think is totally off the wall.

https://www.pscp.tv/...r/1DXGyyeAVzkGM

Montpellier : Baryl la poubelle intelligente à la gare Sncf  :breakfast:
Install ARCH

#172 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

A wooden toe

Fascinating stuff. :breakfast:
Install ARCH

#173 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,225 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:03 PM

That was pretty interesting.

#174 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:29 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 25 June 2017 - 09:03 PM, said:

That was pretty interesting.

I recon the toe was made to give the user stabilty. As yer big toe is very important for maintaining balance when on your feet. :breakfast:

The Penguin Bomb

Rise Penguin

The perfect gifts for your linux user chums. :Laughing:

Edited by abarbarian, 26 June 2017 - 07:41 AM.

Install ARCH

#175 OFFLINE   mac

mac

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:22 PM

The ones in the book/magazine were pretty cool also! :thumbup:
Mac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users