4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:21 PM

so the Debian OS didn't put up a warning or anything like that and a user was created with upper case letters. Are we stuck with this or is there a way to rename the account name without messing up the file shares and security settings?
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#2 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:49 AM

https://linuxtechlab...home-directory/
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#3 ONLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:24 PM

How did you enter the username? Maybe had caps lock on? I've always used a lower case name and it's always created exactly what I typed. I can't imagine why it would give a warning.
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#4 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:01 AM

View Postsunrat, on 20 June 2018 - 08:24 PM, said:

How did you enter the username? Maybe had caps lock on? I've always used a lower case name and it's always created exactly what I typed. I can't imagine why it would give a warning.
Because the infrastructure does not play nicely with a name that has an upper case letter in it.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#5 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:04 AM

View Postsunrat, on 20 June 2018 - 08:24 PM, said:

would there be a reason to change the UID when i change the name?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users