Bodhi Linux Developer Retires

securitybreach

securitybreach

Darn, what happened Jeff:

The solo developer of Bodhi Linux has announced his retirement.

I sincerely wish +Jeff Hoogland well. It's not difficult to appreciate that putting together a truly polished Linux Distro is hard, but by one developer, it seems almost an impossible task.

One Mr. Hoogland set out to do so and I will say that by all accounts he has been a success. Bodhi Linux has always been a 'standout' Distribution in my view and well respected. Bodh Linux's level of consistency typically requires a rank and file of workers to make for polish, fit, finish and seamless processes. Bodhi Linux has become perhaps the best known lightweight Linux Distro. CrunchBang is perhaps the only other true contender in this category.

Yet, I fear that we will see more of this attrition and with increased frequency.

As geopolitical events unfold and the global economy gets worse by the day, it becomes increasingly difficult for the individual to merely 'exist', much less, do voluntary work on a project of this magnitude.

Yes, if you are lucky, another developer will pick up and continue with Bodhi maintenance. If you aren't, well, that is the nature of things in today's world.

Linux on the Desktop is much like a garden, if you will. It requires true dedication, constant attention and nurturing. Looking at Distrowatch, one sees a wide array of choices. Some flowers in the garden are hardy, and even perennial flowering all year round giving manifold benefits to the Linux User community.

Indeed, there is much freedom of choice. But with choice comes risk. One such risk is that many Distros by default create newcomer confusion. The immediate question becomes, "Which one is best?" All one need do is ask and there will be no shortage of opinion offered to help out. Getting answers to questions with Linux has always been one of its cornerstones and those who maintain support forums are there to help. This has always been one of the great benefits of Linux. That hasn't changed.,,,,

http://www.linuxadvo...er-retires.html

Jeff, you definitely "Made a difference" to many. It is what I think we all wish we could do in our lives. :)

I wish you nothing but the VERY best if your future endevours.

Ian

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Those more assimilated amongst us were fortunate enough to have received Jeff's G+ notification about this directly.

Sad. However, priorities change. Life takes alternate routes. It is what it is.

Best of luck to Jeff in all his future endeavors. :yes: