Arch: Shangri-La for Ubuntu Power Users?

securitybreach

securitybreach

This article was written by a member of my Archlinux Community on GooglePlus (hard to believe that we have 28,840 members now) B)

Ubuntu 14.04 is here and many of you will opt to wipe and reinstall Ubuntu for that fresh, new LTS smell. But I’m here to say: not so fast!

Though the name of the site has Ubuntu in it, another distribution stole my heart many years ago: Arch Linux.

It isn’t the easiest path to a usable desktop or the best choice for those of you tempted to punch a wall if things don’t go exactly as planned, but Arch was the distribution that taught me everything from how to love tiling window managers (Awesome is, well, awesome) to the fundamentals of the init system.

This isn’t a how-to or an introduction to installing Arch for Ubuntu users, but if you’ve been curious about our friendly rolling-release neighbours, we’re here to nudge you down the path.

“That’s it! I’m switching to Arch!”

Though Arch can be the punch line of jokes in the comments section, it’s also a well-positioned choice for users with privacy concerns or power users who find the handholding in setting up their Linux desktops a less fulfilling learning experience or who just want more control.

Arch is a rolling release distribution that seeks to provide a simple, minimalist environment for Linux users to build upon with minimal complication.

But instead of diluting the essence of Arch further, you can read more about the history of Arch straight from the penguin-shaped horse’s mouth. The most important thing to keep in mind are the five principles of The Arch Way at the core of this humble distribution:

• Whereas more beginner....Simplicity

• Code-correctness over convenience

• User-centric

• Openness

• Freedom.........

http://www.omgubuntu...ntu-power-users

I find it ironic that they wrote a testimonial of Archlinux on omgubuntu but it is a very good and informative article. :thumbup:

Hedon James

I came here to post a link to that article, for all the Arch users on this board. Then I saw you beat me to it! You musta finished up your Saturday "honey-do" list early today?! Nevertheless, interesting article.

• Like 1

securitybreach

Well the author posted to the Archlinux Community a little while ago. I personally do not care for OMG most the time so I wouldn't of normally seen it unless someone shared it.

Well the author posted to the Archlinux Community a little while ago. I personally do not care for OMG most the time so I wouldn't of normally seen it unless someone shared it.

Exactly the only reason I use "social" media. To discover stuff I would normally miss, but really want to see.

All the rest is a total waste of time.

• Like 1