Another adventure in la la land

lewmur

I just upgraded the MB in my backup desktop box. All of the Linux distros came through the change intact but not so Win 10. It booted fine but activation was borked. Asking for new key for $200. I just have it on there for test purposes so I'm going to re-install Win 7 and see what problems I have NOT upgrading to Win 10.

edit: BTW, installed the three recommended Win 7 updates prior to running Update. However, Updates is back to the old "Checking for updates" doing nothing for hours on end.

Edited by lewmur

Looks to me like MS is simply making it as difficult as possible to maintain win7 installs.

Yeah. It seems people keep finding solutions for the Update and MS keeps finding more ways to break it. Just read one article that claims Win 10 itself has "slipped over to the dark side" and become malware.

edit: This is a new one. I had to restart the Win 7 box in spite of the fact that is was still "Checking for Updates". But amazingly, after the reboot, when I returned the Update, there were 223 regular and 10 optional updates ready to install!!!

Edited by lewmur

So far the only upgrades I've made to my Windows desktop are the power supply, RAM and graphics card. That didn't prevent Windows from losing its activation info so that I had to revert back to factory settings. I had data backed up but I learned to back up the whole image after that.