vm vs. live

saturnian

My take:

• I don't dual boot or chainload anymore. I have enough old machines around to pretty much install any Linux distro I want - one at a time, on the rails.
  • I have pretty much narrowed my choice of distro to Arch Linux or some flavor of Debian so I am not really distro farming.
  • I use VBox on a Windows PC to run Linux if desired. Right now I have Ubuntu 17.10 in VBox.
  • For best results, I stick to boring stable distros in a virtual machine. If I want rolling release like Arch I put it on the rails.
  • That's it.

Ah. Well, I don't use Windows at all at home. I have a few computers dual- or multi-booting two or three distros, and a few with only one distro installed. I'm mostly using Debian and Arch, and distros closely related to those (BunsenLabs and Antergos, but MX and GParted Live for live sessions). I've also got Kubuntu 17.10 installed, and also SalentOS. Anyway, I still haven't tried anything in a VM!

Well if you are comfortable with multibooting and you only run Linux there isn't much reason to run a Linux guest on a Linux host.

I have Windows around here because so many of my seniors "clients" have it and I need to stay with it to help them. I only support Windows 10 now.

I need Windows 10 for my Train Sims too.

Screenshot_WestSomersetRailway_5105464-319428_06-33-15_zps2a126236.jpg