Teacher...This one is for you :)

trevor51590

Ok i am running mandrake linux 10.1 powerpack. I am new at Linux, so i am not good in this area although i have very limited knowledge on the OS. Well i want to get my WMP54g v4 network card to work with linux. The driver for the card is included on the cd (Rt2500.INF) which i want to use. Naturally I think Ndiswrapper. Now i downloaded it from sourceforge, and i got ndiswrapper-1.0.tar.gz. I tried to install it and i got an error about a kernel or something. I dont quite remember the error perfectly, as i would have to reboot into linux bc im on a dual boot. So i figured that wouldnt work. I went to an RPM site and downloaded a version of Ndiswrapper and installed it (i hope the right way) and when i get it installed, i get another, different type of error. I proceeded to do

ndiswrapper

and then it worked. I installed the driver, and it worked. Then i tried to modprobe, i got something like FATAL error. could not find module or something. then i tried

ndiswrapper -l

to see the driever and it said the driver was ok but the hardware was not there. Ok well now im stuck. Im hoping you could gimme a little TLC and show me which version of ndiswrapper to get for the 10.1 mandrake, and show me how to use it to get me online! I am sure that you have read many posts like this, but i really do need some step by step help (heck, thats why i came here) I have been trying this for days to no avail. PLEASE HELP ME ;) Oh btw, first post B)

Edited by trevor51590

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• trevor51590

• teacher

• Bruno

• ross549

Top Posters In This Topic

Your problem is that you went looking for ndiswrapper. I would remove the packages you have installed. Go to the MCC --> Software --> Remove and then search for ndiswrapper. Once you have told it to remove it then go to the Add Software and look for it and install it. Mandrake includes ndiswrapper in their basic package. If that does not work we will call Bruno in to help you remove it since you did not install it through the MCC. When using Mandrake, it is best to always look a the Mandrake RPMs in your MCC rather than going and downloading packages off the Internet. I learned that the hard way. :)Welcome to Scot's Newsletter Forums and the All Things Linux portion. ;)

ok well pretty much the same story. i removed it then re added it. i believe its 0.9.1. well i have the driver installed. says hardware is not there and wont let me modprobe. maybe its not uninstalling the right way?

This may sound silly, but I found that I had to reboot my computer when ndiswrapper would not work correctly. In fact, it did not want to work for me and I got frustrated. Then I rebooted and it worked like a charm. I can't give any reasoning for this other than when you boot it searches for hardware and that might reset things. So, before it gets too painful, just give that a try!

If you did everything as su (superuser) then I would think a reinstall might be an easy solution. That depends upon how much you have invested in this install. ;)

ok. its installed, loaded drivers. i go to

ndiswrapper -l

and i see the driever and it says hardware detected. whats next? modprobe still does not work. i also did

ndiswrapper -m

and

iwconfig

. there is eth0, eth1, lo, and something else, but no Wlan0(not wlan1, edit). what do i do next?

Edited by trevor51590

Before we decide what is next, are you running open or encryped for your router? That makes a big difference in all the steps that are needed next. Don't worry about the mod probe. It sounds like you are headed in the right direction. B)

i am running non encrypted. its open. also i thought that i might show some things the console is telling me. when i modprobe, it says "Fatal error: module ndiswrapper not found." then i try ndiswrapper -m, and i get modprobe config already contains alias directory.

Have you installed the wireless tools in the MCC? Type in:

iwconfig

and see what it says. If you have the wireless tools in then it will show something. If not then go back and wearch for wireless and install wireless-tools. :)If it is there then type:

iwlist wlan0 scan

and let's see what it shows.

i know wireless tools are installed, due to the fact that ive been to iwconfig before. but i do know that there is no wlan0 that shows up should i still tryiwlist wlan0 scan?

I would. Let's see what it shows. <I fixed a typo. Be sure to do iwlist wlan0 scan not scn so it can scan your configuration.>You said you have eth0 and eth1. It is possible that we will need to run iwlist eth1 scan if nothing comes up with iwlist wlan0 scan. B)

i pulled it off of my WMP54g v4 cd? should i try a different driver? i mean the one with the cd is Rt2500.INF maybe u can gimme a link to one i should try

I have read that there are some problems with doing it that way. The best way is to go over to Windows and pull it forward to linux. Do you have windows on another partition?

I am doing this off the top of my head. I will go boot up my laptop in a minute and look because I don't really have windows on this computer. /mnt/windows/windows/system32/drivers...... Try following that and see if you find it that way. B) I will go double check.

Just a short note . . should you not copy over the driver first to your Linux partition ? Because loading ( pulling ) it in ndiswrapper from a mounted win partition might not be possible because the win partition is only is mounted when you click on it. ( or access it via the console )B) Bruno

Excellent suggestion. I would copy it to your /home/trevor folder. Are you using a konsole/command line or are you using konqueror to look?

Did you run ndiswrapper -l file.inf (insert the name of the file you found)?If so did you follow up with iwconfig and then iwlist wlan0 scan.