CCleaner Compromised!

Corrine

Version 5.33 of the CCleaner app offered for download between August 15 and September 12 was modified to include the Floxif malware, according to a report published by Cisco Talos a few minutes ago.

More at CCleaner Compromised to Distribute Malware for Almost a Month. Also see Piriform - Security Notification for CCleaner v5.33.6162 and CCleaner Cloud v1.07.3191 for 32-bit Windows users and Cisco's Talos Intelligence Group Blog: CCleanup: A Vast Number of Machines at Risk.

• Like 2

Every time I download a new version, ESET flags the installation file for something, usually a PUP.

This stops me from recommending it to newbies who don't already know about it.

• Like 1

I must have missed the fact that Avast bought Piriform in July of this year.

My biased opinion: if a company that sells an av program can't check to see that the downloads offered on a site it owns are clean, how trustworthy is the av program it offers?

• Like 4

My biased opinion: if a company that sells an av program can't check to see that the downloads offered on a site it owns are clean, how trustworthy is the av program it offers?

The hairs on the back of my neck raised too. A mere month after Piriform was acquired by Avast (and new people gained access to the code), this compromise occurred? :ermm:
  • Like 1

The hairs on the back of my neck raised too. A mere month after Piriform was acquired by Avast (and new people gained access to the code), this compromise occurred? :ermm:

only thing i can think of is that this was an inlab test file that got mistakenly posted to wrong place.

From the updated BC article:

Article updated with link to Piriform blog post. Updated article for a second time with response from Avast CTO. An earlier version of this article referenced a tweet suggesting that other parts of the Avast network might be compromised. Avast investigated the issue and discovered that someone used its VPN service to send ransomware-laced spam.

Follow-up article on removal: CCleaner Malware Incident - What You Need to Know and How to Remove.

Note: CCleaner 5.34 will NOT remove the Agomo registry key used by the malware.

IMHO: The easiest way to see if you're infected is to read at the link Corrine posted....

https://www.bleeping...-how-to-remove/

... and then look in your registry to see if you have the Registry key located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform\Agomo.

By the time I saw the post, I had already uninstalled the program, and purged my "Downloads" folder of all the CCleaner installation files. Turns out I have a Piriform key, but in a slightly different location (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Piriform), and there's no "Agomo".

I'm not sure if ESET removed/blocked it, if I never had it, or if uninstalling made it go away.

Just about every time I got a new version ESET flagged it for a PUP, and more recently it removed something from memory every time I opened this version.... It's also possible that I had the 64 bit version.

Edited by Pete!
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... since I don't have network access enabled in my Windows installation, I haven't updated CCleaner for about 6 months. Guess I don't have to worry about this. It's sad that these irresponsible entities continue to allow breaches and such like this to happen. Security doesn't seem to be a priority quite as high as "making a buck" seems to be.

• Like 1