pacman -Qi libfetch

If no dependencies are still needed, then yes, remove it:

pacman -Rs libfetch

Well I always check the dependencies of the file:

pacman -Qi libfetch

If no dependencies are still needed, then yes, remove it:

pacman -Rs libfetch

That's what I do.

Never had any problems from it, all my Linux problems are self-inflicted!

Personally I don't bother removing packages listed as not needed, as the space gained is usually inconsequential. Debian has the deborphan package to find these, but it's highly recommended to research each removal as it can be hazardous to remove them willy-nilly.

In Gentoo, the following command removes unused packages.

emerge --depclean

I've learned to put as few things in the world file as possible and let portage choose what I need and don't need. Portage pulls the dependencies in and when they're not needed anymore, depclean automatically removes them.

The world file contains a list of packages that you have specifically installed, but not the dependencies. For instance, I emerge (install) gnome and the xorg server is pulled in as a dependency. Gnome would then be in the world file, but the xorg server would not.

Packages in the world file are not removed by depclean unless specified with the depclean command. Depclean won't remove anything that is a dependency.

Edited by trigggl

V.T. Eric Layton

Slackware is too cool to care about silly stuff like this. So what if there's a bit of dust and detritus under the bed. Who's gonna' bend down there to look? Those other distros are just too obsessive-compulsive. It's a hand-washing thing, I think. ;)

Slackware is too cool to care about silly stuff like this. So what if there's a bit of dust and detritus under the bed. Who's gonna' bend down there to look? Those other distros are just too obsessive-compulsive. It's a hand-washing thing, I think. ;)

I think I had Slackware once, but it wasn't in the world file. Gentoo must have uninstalled it.

V.T. Eric Layton
I think I had Slackware once, but it wasn't in the world file. Gentoo must have uninstalled it.

:hysterical: