Gardening

Frank

Well--it's getting that time of the year here in Ohio. I can't wait until I can get out and start planting things in my garden. I'm anxious to see how something is going to work for me this year. Last year my tomatoes were not good. Most of them had what is called Blossom End Dry Rod. I think that's what you call it--it's where the blossom end just drys out. We did have a very dry summer--not much rain. Even though I water my tomato plants, they still had that problem. So, last year I talked to a farmer who grows a lot of tomatoes and asked him what the problem might be. He asked me how big my garden was and I told him it was 15 feet by 15 feet. He told me to go to our local grain elevator and buy 2 sacks of high-calcium lime and put that on the garden. I asked him if all that lime would make the soil too sweet (al). He said that if I use regular lime, it would definitely make it too alkaline, so be sure to ask for the *high-calcium* lime. I did that last Fall and turned it under. So, I'm anxious to see how my tomatoes will be this summer. Has anyone else had that problem with tomatoes?Frank

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeber

• teacher

• greengeek

• georgeg4

Hey guys...We just got done putting out about 200 bags of cedar mulch (at 2cf/bag) and I'm a bit tired...I have a problem that I'm not sure where to turn... I have 2 pecan tree's that are probably 20 years old or better and every year for the past 6 years they've had plenty of nuts on the tree but they do not drop and if/when they do they are still in the green casing and are rotten... There used to be a LOT of brush around them and we've taken care of most of that but I'm still not getting anything... the green case many times has a whitish color on it almost like a fungus or mold.... Can any of you point me in the right direction?Thanks

Hey guys...We just got done putting out about 200 bags of cedar mulch (at 2cf/bag) and I'm a bit tired...I have a problem that I'm not sure where to turn...  I have 2 pecan tree's that are probably 20 years old or better and every year for the past 6 years they've had plenty of nuts on the tree but they do not drop and if/when they do they are still in the green casing and are rotten...  There used to be a LOT of brush around them and we've taken care of most of that but I'm still not getting anything...  the green case many times has a whitish color on it almost like a fungus or mold....  Can any of you point me in the right direction?Thanks
See if any of these links help.http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consume...uitandnuts.htmlScroll down a little, in the right hand column you will see the section for Pecans.http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/ag81.htmlhttp://www.ces.ncsu.edu/alamance/gardening...2002/feb/3.htmlGo to second question of this Q&A page.Hope these get you in the right direction.

What is it, computers and gardening? Because I'm totally into this too. I find that a lot of computer buffs are also auto buffs too. In fact, one of my first editors and I often used to joke that a magazine called Cars and Computers might do very well. I've gotten into garden only fairly recently, the last five years. Mostly what I'm into would be more correctly described as landscaping. I've been shaping my yard, reclaiming areas, bring plants back to life. When I moved in here the yard had been neglected for over 10 years. I've taken great joy in bringing it back to life, and I'm not getting ready to start doing major things with new plantings. Cyndy planted bulbs the first year we were here and we've enjoyed them ever since.-- Scot

• 2 weeks later...

We are in Washington State - no winter this year, so Spring has sprung...We just finished moving our fruit trees (17) into an orchard - they were spread all across our 5 acres. Now we're putting in blueberries, raspberries, gooseberries, strawberries, and trying to get rid of all the blackberries!A little later in the spring we are going to put in a pond, move our flower garden, and cut down a couple of VERY large trees that are shading everything too well...I have a couple of fallen trees that I am going to make into an archway (I'm not sure that's what they are called - you know, the things that ranches have at the road with the horseshoe nailed to the cross piece at the top of them?) as a kind of "Gateway" to the lower half of the property and the stream.Too bad I can't figure a way to program my tractor to do all the work while I look out the window! All our kids grew up and moved out, so now my wife and I have to do all the work! B) d|:^)Dick

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad I have an excuse to bring this thread back to the top of the heap! :blink: I, too, love to garden. What used to be the backyard is now a series of raised beds, some for flowering plants, some for herbs... But this Spring my concern is the front yard. We're tearing out the grass, a horrible combination of grasses actually, planting two trees, and... My question - do you folks have some good suggestions for an alternative to grass? The trees are two year old white Jacarandas, so shade won't be much of an issue. But I'd like a groundcover that may have to be trimmed, but not cut. My tiny old dog (Patty the Chihuahua) has access to that yard, so it has to be somewhat sturdy. And I'd prefer something green. But other than that, I'm open to suggestions.

You're right, and I've considered this. It's still a candidate. I should mention that this won't be a border. I actually need to fill four 4x6' areas, two with a Jacaranda in the middle.

You are in San Diego, my Friend, and you can get by with anything. Seriously, I finally beat the problem in AZ by using decorative gravel with a wavy brick border in the area of the trees, with strips of grass between them, and out to the sidewalk. I still had to mow a little, but I was done in about 10 - -15 minutes, and it looked really nice!I also had a number of Bougainvilleas (SP?) that nothing would grow around, so I did a variation of the same thing there, as well.I still had a little room to sit on the grass with the neighbors at night, walk about without burning my feet, and provide a little respite for the neighbor kids who forgot their shoes.It really turned out to be low maintenance and high impact.

Guest LilBambi
Temmu --LOL! :D Yep ... we are always trying to figure out ways to kill off the kudzu here in Virginia! It is so beautiful but really!! ....It is horribly invasive, grows very quickly, and takes over and strangles everything else in its path ... and the way it spreads ... I could tell ya stories! :o

Jeber have you thought about the dozens of different ivys? Make sure you don't get a climber though, or you'll be cutting it out of the trees.

Onions are great but I went across the bridge yesterday and picked strawberries with my husband. They were gigantic. Thought they would not be good they were so large. We were pleased to find them very full of flavor but not too sweet. Managed to pick two overflowing flats in under an hour. I think I am in heaven!!! B)

Guest LilBambi

Vidalia onions are my all time favorite onion! Although, I love all onions; raw and cooked. ;) And don't get me started on strawberries ... just had our first of the season, at a decent price (not local yet), but wonderful cutup in sugar (wait a few hours) and put on vanilla icecream! YUM! ;)

And don't get me started on strawberries ... just had our first of the season, at a decent price (not local yet), but wonderful cutup in sugar (wait a few hours) and put on vanilla icecream! YUM!  ;)
If they have been local here for 10 days I bet they are there now. Usually the ones up that way are only a week behind us. Just my luck too, F.L. has their Bryers ice cream buy one get one free. Guess you know what I will be eating. ;) ;)

• 3 weeks later...

It's the time of year to revisit this thread. Just so you'll kmow I do have something to do other than post here, I thought I'd share some pics of my back garden with you. These were taken today. The grapes are already getting big, and everything's in bloom. Dialuppers...I've reduced the images some, but it may still be slow loading. Sorry.Pic 1Pic 2Pic 3The pathways are gravel. The beds are all raised. We create our own compost, so the soil in the beds is really rich.So how do all your gardens grow? ;)

Amazing JeberAre you sure that is your back yard? Mine is sand. The irises, tulips and daffodils have come and gone. It is time to do something. We do very low maintenance. My live oaks are looking good though!By the way, I'm impressed.

Guest LilBambi

Beautiful Jeber! Great job!Your neighbors must really enjoy looking out their windows on such a pretty scene.I don't know, but I think Virginia has had exactly the right amounts of rain and sunshine and heat this spring, because for the first year since we've lived here, every fruit tree is heavily laden with fruit and all the flowering plants are working over time. Of course, so are the weeds and the lawn (at least that's what we call it LOL) is growing much faster than usual for this time of year.

Not sure about the neighbors, but my 3'x7' kitchen window (over the sink) looks directly out into the garden. Makes washing the dishes less a chore.My cats live in the garden, as do the snakes and iguana (the latter in cages, of course). But since my cats aren't birders, there are also 2 nesting mockingbirds and scads of hummingbirds. Even saw a couple of alligator lizards yesterday. My little inner-city wildlife refuge. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Backyard visitors:Common birdsSea birdsInsectsKoalasSnakesLizardsand sometimes escaped livestock, cows, horses, sheep etc.

My backyard visitors:6 deer (once a week on their route)red fox (comes and drinks out of the bucket under the AC runoff)skate - those little bitty things that look like lizards with racing stripes up their backsbunniesternsseagullscardinalsabout anything that fliesNow do you understand why we can't grow anything? The deer eat the flowers, they bite the tomatoes off just before they are ripe and leave them in the driveway!We do grow mums, vinca, roses, live oak, and sand spurs. :D

Hey Joy, I've got a Eucalyptus tree in a large planter by the front of the house. If I move it to the back, you think I could attract koalas? They'd make a great addition. And what would I need to plant to attract wombats? I wanna wombat!

Hey Joy we're not ready for him yet But he's here anyway:PBy the way jeber great looking yard you have there . You would probably have a ball with mine I have four acres to play in . :) Here's one of my backyard visitors . He is a little hard to see but the damage to the tree is evident .Others are all kinds of birdsChipmunksPossumsSkunksRabbits DeerAnd Bear

I forgot to mention all the stray cats in the area come here . And any other stray . We put out food every day for the strays to eat and they all know where to come.

stray cats
Ugggg, cats, the only critters I do not like coming into our yard. They kill all the rabbits and birds that come into our yard (my wife has four bird feeders). I know, I know, it’s their nature to kill. It wouldn’t be quite so bad if they just ate what they killed, I’ve seen them just “play†with the bodies. Since I’ve already accepted the fact that it’s in the human species nature to kill, guess I should now just accept it in the feline species.Acadia.