Linux AV - suggestions?

quint

Hi, all. Can someone recommend an AV program for use in Linux? Have the built-in firewall enabled in Mandrake 9.1, but would like to hear opinions on AV. TIA.

:D I don't use anti virus with Linux but then I only connect the Linux machines to the net to make sure that it's working. Most of my friends who use Linux don't use AV either.Joy

Hi, all. Can someone recommend an AV program for use in Linux? Have the built-in firewall enabled in Mandrake 9.1, but would like to hear opinions on AV. TIA.
Do a search in Google using the search term (Linux Antivirus) and you will see several different Anti Virus programs for Linux some are even free.M H :lol:

Joy,

Most of my friends who use Linux don't use AV either.
Wonder why? Guess the need is not justified.MH,Thanks, and welcome; the search results will keep me busy.

Joy,
Most of my friends who use Linux don't use AV either.
Wonder why? Guess the need is not justified.MH,Thanks, and welcome; the search results will keep me busy.
;) Joy and QuintThe need is very real and justified. As Linux for the desktop becomes more popular and more people begin to use it you will see more and more Virus, worms and trojans start to attack Linux. I attended a conferance a few months ago, and at that time there were 127 different virus that were active for Linux. I wonder how many there are today? I receive several Redhat Eratta (security warnings) a week. Many who run Linux think that they are safe from virus. That is not true. :lol:

Joy and QuintThe need is very real and justified. As Linux for the desktop becomes more popular and more people begin to use it you will see more and more Virus, worms and trojans start to attack Linux. I attended a conferance a few months ago, and at that time there were 127 different virus that were active for Linux.I wonder how many there are today? I receive several Redhat Eratta (security warnings) a week. Many who run Linux think that they are safe from virus. That is not true.
Mel, thanks for the info/advice; guess that eases the MS load a little. :lol:

Quint,I'm not that worried about virusses for Linux as mhbell1 is. Sure there are virusses targeting Linux, but they spread kind of slow. Plus, because of "root" permissions on your system, most of them can't do much harm.But there is av-software special for Linux, most windows av makers ( Kaspersky, Sophos, Symantec, F-Prot ) have a Linux version too, primary targeted on linux-servers and corporate linux systems. ($$) An av-software maker 'only for Linux' is Clam Antivirus with automatic updating via Internet ( GNU GPL licence = "FREE" ):http://freshmeat.net/projects/clamav/?topic_id=861Bruno

Quint,I'm not that worried about virusses for Linux as mhbell1 is. Sure there are virusses targeting Linux, but they spread kind of slow. Plus, because of "root" permissions on your system, most of them can't do much harm.But there is av-software special for Linux, most windows av makers ( Kaspersky, Sophos, Symantec, F-Prot ) have a Linux version too, primary targeted on linux-servers and corporate linux systems. ($$) An av-software maker 'only for Linux' is Clam Antivirus with automatic updating via Internet ( GNU GPL licence = "FREE" ):http://freshmeat.net/projects/clamav/?topic_id=861Bruno
Thanks, Bruno; currently checking out three different programs, but at least no longer feel frantic. Guess that's left over from Windows. B)

Thanks, Bruno; currently checking out three different programs, but at least no longer feel frantic. Guess that's left over from Windows. B)
Its not that I am all that worried about virus for Linux, However I do not want to leave the impression that one is safe just because they use Linux as some people seem to think. I have seen this kind of thinking from some in the linux crowd all to often with dire results. As a PC Consultant I see this everyday. It is not just virus that one has to be concerned with, But Security vulnerabilities that exist in Linux as well as Windows. As I mentioned in my previous post I receive several Redhat Errata (security Warnings) a week because of security vulnerabilities in Linux. It might be worth noting that PANDA Software is offering a free antivirus program for Linux the URL is http://www.pandasoftware.com/com/linux/linux.asp if anyone is interested. Vexira is another antivirus software from Central Command http://www.centralcommand.com/linux_server.html it is not free But they are now making a version for Desktop Linux not just servers. B)

Hi Quint,Even if GNU/Linux does become as common as MS Windows, u will never need a virus scanner.......Dont waste ur time installing one. Even if u somehow get infected, then at the most it will infect ur files in the /home/quint directory....U can just delete it ofcourse and create a new user account while the whole root system is safe and sound.rgds,007

Quint,I'm not that worried about virusses for Linux as mhbell1 is. Sure there are virusses targeting Linux, but they spread kind of slow.
There are no viruses for GNU/linux and never will be!! Anti-Virri companies try to push their products down our throats even when they are not needed....rgds,007

Thanks for the input/advice; guess "on-line misfits" have instilled a deep set fear in me. :lol:
All u do is, disable all unnecessary services that run by default example apache, sendmail etc.......rgds,007

Thanks for the input/advice; guess "on-line misfits" have instilled a deep set fear in me. :lol:
All u do is, disable all unnecessary services that run by default example apache, sendmail etc.......rgds,007
Would I find that in "DrakX Services"?

Hi quint,1) Log-in as root and type "ntsysv" in the terminal or shell..2) There u will c a list of services that start during boot up3) U can keep gpm, crond, cups, keytable, network, syslogd, xfs, and xinetd, and disable others like sendmail, sshd, isdn etcThese are some examples what i mentioned. U can press F1 to get detailed info on a particular service. Disabling and Enabling is done with the space bar.hope this helped.rgds,007

Hi quint,1) Log-in as root and type "ntsysv" in the terminal or shell..2) There u will c a list of services that start during boot up3) U can keep gpm, crond, cups,  keytable, network, syslogd, xfs,  and xinetd, and disable others like sendmail, sshd, isdn etcThese are some examples what i mentioned. U can press F1 to get detailed info on a particular service. Disabling and Enabling is done with the space bar.hope this helped.rgds,007
007,Thanks for that; will be checking things out in Linux for a long time to come. Haven't been using XP for about a week now. :unsure: