No sound on-line...

quint

Hi, all. On one of my partitions, have Mandrake 9.1 - installed fine, working fine, but will not play sounds when on-line; my wife received an on-line greeting card, that had music with it, but I had to reboot to WinXP to get her to hear the song. Currently have sound on desktop, games, etc., but any advice on what I'm over-looking in the settings to enable sound on-line? B) In ELX Linux, I never had to do anything special, there was sound everywhere. Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Guest ComputerBob

I had EXACTLY the same problem with MDK 9.1.For me the solution was that, unlike MDK 9.0, MDK 9.1 had TWO different sound mixers that BOTH had to be turned up and non-muted in order for me to have sound.One was the KDE sound mixer that appeared in the bottom right corner of the MDK window, and also in the multimedia menu. The other was called ausound Mixer or something like that. I found it in one of the multimedia menus. Once I enabled sound in both of those mixers, and turned their volumes up, I had sound.So, my advice would be to go into the multimedia menus, then enable and turn up the volume on any mixers you find, to see if that fixes the problem.

Bob,You beat me to it!!! I had this same problem when I installed Mandrake 9.1. I did some searching and found the auxiliary volume settings.... fixed the problem for me!

Thanks, CB and Ryan. Will get right on that. Glad it wasn't anything I did; Mandrake is quite nice to novice's like me, and I sure don't want to break it. B) You guys are so quick to respond, makes someone in need very pleased. B)

I have to agree with you quint... Mandrake has been very newbie friendly to me as well... have to get used to the Linux quirks yet, but Mandrake is making the transition much easier! B)

Guest ComputerBob
You guys are so quick to respond, makes someone in need very pleased.  B)
Sometimes, the person who knows what it's like to sit on the side of the road for hours in a broken-down car, is the first to stop and help someone else who's in that situation. B)

Good advice Bob ! It looks like a problem everybody encounters with 9.1 B) Quint and Ryan: Glad you like Mandy B) Have you both the Real Player working too ? Rumours say that many have problems with that one too. . ( I hope you guys did the 100MB updates and bugfixes aswell ) B) Bruno

Good advice Bob ! It looks like a problem everybody encounters with 9.1 B) Quint and Ryan: Glad you like Mandy B)  Have you both the Real Player working too ? Rumours say that many have problems with that one too. . B) Bruno
Haven't messed with it much yet... going through basically one program at a time to see how things work... it's definitely keeping me busy :)

Good advice Bob ! It looks like a problem everybody encounters with 9.1 :blink: Quint and Ryan: Glad you like Mandy :rolleyes:  Have you both the Real Player working too ? Rumours say that many have problems with that one too. . ( I hope you guys did the 100MB updates and bugfixes aswell ) ;) Bruno
Hi, Bruno, thanks for the input. Can you give me a URL for the updates & bugfixes? Have not messed with RealPlayer yet. :unsure:

Quint... the bugfixes can be automatically installed through the Mandrake control center... here's what bruno posted for me the other day

If you go to the Mandrake Control Center, you will find this in the startmenu > Configuration > Mandrake Control Center, give your rootpassword, > software management > Mandrake Update you will be able to download all the updates and install them automaticly. ( Downloading the updates, bug fixes and security-updates is always my first action after install, the update function during install is not 100% )
Did get this done... although had some problems getting the ftp connection... did eventually get it though! :rolleyes:

@ Quint:You do not need an URL go to the Mandrake Control Center ( not the same as kde Control Center ) -->software management -->Mandrake update that's all, choose a mirror and Mandrake will do the rest for you ! well, kind of, you will be presented a list with updates, do not select them all at once, do 3 or 4 at a time, That's allBruno

Ryan & Bruno, thanks much; right under my very nose! :rolleyes: Now to figure out whether I need them all. :unsure: Will be back in a while, thanks again. :blink:

If Mandrake comes up with them you do need them, it adapts the list to your configuration !Bruno
Well, Bruno, that certainly makes it easy on this old man. :rolleyes: Thanks!

@Quint:Well, thát is Slack, the so called toughest distro to master. Two month into Mandrake and even that manual will be easy to understand ! As soon as you can play around the commandline ( read lots about it ) you will be ready for Slack.Mandrake allows you to take the commandline step by step, a good school for years of Linux-Fun.Again, reading and practice are the basics of all knowledge. . . . . :D Bruno

@Quint:Well, thát is Slack, the so called toughest distro to master. Two month into Mandrake and even that manual will be easy to understand ! As soon as you can play around the commandline ( read lots about it ) you will be ready for Slack.Mandrake allows you to take the commandline step by step, a good school for years of Linux-Fun.Again, reading and practice are the basics of all knowledge. . . . . :D Bruno
Thanks for that. Right now I'm very :D with Mandrake, and as you say, this will be a "school" to me. Slackware was the version that the friend who dislikes RedHat, uses exclusively. I am staying with Mandrake, and :P 'ing it.

Quint and Ryan:Got a few nice tips for ya,If you click on Home, konqueror will open your home dir. Choose view --> preview and enable images, clipart, soundfiles and HTMLfiles. ( or all others too ) then the screenshots that you made will be visible, soundfiles will make sound as soon as the mouse points at them, HTML files will show etc.If you want system resource meters on your desktop ( very chique ones ) see if you have Gkrellm installed in "start" --> Applications -->Monitoring. Gkrellm is highly configureatable. If it is not installed go to Mandrake Control Center --> Software Management --> Install software and let it search for Gkrellm, install the themes and plugins ( if available ) aswell. Once installed you will find it in the "start-menu" configure it to your taste and convenience.Have fun!Bruno

Great! Have sound.  :D
What did you end up doing to get sound?
Think what finally did it was putting all the "sliders" in Aumix to 100 in the level category, then going to File and Save. I also chose evrything to do with sound (even though not knowing for sure, what I was doing), and turned on ebeything other than microphone. :D May have done something wrong, but now have sound, so I'm :P . Sorry, that I don't know how to explain it better, but I'm really a greenhorn /w Linux...but I really enjoy it, and desire to learn.

Quint and Ryan:Got a few nice tips for ya,If you click on Home, konqueror will open your home dir. Choose view --> preview and enable images, clipart, soundfiles and HTMLfiles. ( or all others too ) then the screenshots that you made will be visible, soundfiles will make sound as soon as the mouse points at them, HTML files will show etc.If you want system resource meters on your desktop ( very chique ones ) see if you have Gkrellm installed in "start" --> Applications -->Monitoring. Gkrellm is highly configureatable. If it is not installed go to Mandrake Control Center --> Software Management --> Install software and let it search for Gkrellm, install the themes and plugins ( if available ) aswell. Once installed you will find it in the "start-menu" configure it to your taste and convenience.Have fun!Bruno
:D :P :P Thanks, Bruno, I come to the determination that I will have to print out the entire ScotsNewsletter Forum! :D

:D  :P  :P Thanks, Bruno, I come to the determination that I will have to print out the entire ScotsNewsletter Forum!  :D
Quint - I have to agree with you here... so much info and not near enough time to play with it/use it all! :DThank goodness these messges don't disappear! At least I'll be able to come back and look at them when I finally get some time! :P